BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Review of new 5's Tech

04-05-2017, 08:00 AM   #23
TreyWaters
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakespere View Post
The only issues I have had so far was with a talkative person who kept using a lot of gestures and unwantingly changing the song.
Personally, I'm in the camp of thinking it's basically useless - with steering wheel controls being preferable. Then again, I'm stupid/lazy enough that I haven't memorized all of the voice control commands in my current car, preferring steering wheel controls. I see the same for gestures. So, I'm not ordering gesture controls in my G30. Not bashing anyone that wants it, just not for me.

So, when the wife and I were sitting in one in the showroom this past weekend, my talking (using my hands, too) inadvertently turned the radio up. Kinda solidified my decision to leave it off as I do talk with my hands quite often.

Now, if gesture control would automatically honk the horn (do I really have to define the gesture?), it might be a useful feature! ;-)
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i - Silver / Red (2006-2009)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #24
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyWaters View Post
Quote:
The only issues I have had so far was with a talkative person who kept using a lot of gestures and unwantingly changing the song.
Personally, I'm in the camp of thinking it's basically useless - with steering wheel controls being preferable. Then again, I'm stupid/lazy enough that I haven't memorized all of the voice control commands in my current car, preferring steering wheel controls. I see the same for gestures. So, I'm not ordering gesture controls in my G30. Not bashing anyone that wants it, just not for me.

So, when the wife and I were sitting in one in the showroom this past weekend, my talking (using my hands, too) inadvertently turned the radio up. Kinda solidified my decision to leave it off as I do talk with my hands quite often.

Now, if gesture control would automatically honk the horn (do I really have to define the gesture?), it might be a useful feature! ;-)
Hehe. Definitely facial gesture recognition. Angry face = honk.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #25
KungFuJoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i

I mean, it's basically 5 dollars a month for a 36 month lease. If I never use it...oh well. But, in the off chance it turns out to be useful...great.

There have been plenty of things that I thought I'd never need that I now consider vital, such as GPS, parking sensors, automatic closing trunk (oops).

This will also be my first vehicle with HUD...hoping that ends up being as useful as most people say it is.
2006 330i
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #26
54Me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Actually you are only paying for 38-41% of it, so it's about $2.20 a month. Even so that's an extra movie rental instead of something I would use once to show off for kids (at least in my mind)...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #27
FadyDizzle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

I get that gesture control is "useless" to so many people but after using it in the 7 series, I actually really enjoyed it. It does take getting used to and isn't perfect by any means but I like to drive with one hand, leaving my right hand sometimes resting on the center console. If I wanted to change volume or do something, that's perfect placement for gesture control instead of reaching. I know people will now say I'm the ultimate definition of lazy or I should be a safer driver with both hands on the wheel, but all that said, it still has it's uses if you often rest your right hand in a place where you're in position by default to use gesture control conveniently.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #28
KungFuJoe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Me View Post
Can't you just use the little scroll wheel on the steering wheel button to select reject?
Ok...I'm NOT crazy. Well...not in this situation, at least.

The reason I said I had to use iDrive to reject a call is because the steering wheel controls don't work. I had gotten so used to just ignoring it that I forgot...but I just tried it and you can't reject an incoming call with the little spinner thingie on the steering wheel. It does nothing. Have to use iDrive.

Makes me all the more happy I got gesture control.
2006 330i
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #29
54Me
Private First Class
Rep

The flywheel apparently changes the selection to "reject" in the instrument cluster (you know, the partially digital thing everyone loves so much), not in the iDrive.
Mine's not here yet so I'm just quoting the user manual...
Swiping away with gesture all fun and games until passenger loses an eye...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #30
KungFuJoe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Me View Post
The flywheel apparently changes the selection to "reject" in the instrument cluster (you know, the partially digital thing everyone loves so much), not in the iDrive.
Mine's not here yet so I'm just quoting the user manual...
Swiping away with gesture all fun and games until passenger loses an eye...
Forgot to mention that I'm still driving my F10 and that's how it works. Have to use iDrive to reject a call.

Still waiting for my G30 (longest wait of my life). How did you get your hands on the user manual?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 04:23 AM   #31
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Quote:
Well. Got mine last Wednesday so it will be a week old tomorrow. So far I have had no trouble finding anything. Downloaded drivers guide on iPhone using my VIN number and any question is answered easily. Most of things I figured out myself. I have also apple car play but I tend to use the idrive more as it's more user friendly and the voice commands work wonderfully compared to F10. Hand gestures. Like babaikram said works 99% for me. Am not using volume adjustment and the two finger skip to next song works Marvelous. The only issues I have had so far was with a talkative person who kept using a lot of gestures and unwantingly changing the song. In the 360 surround view pinching and rotating needed some practice but it works now fine. Menus are easy to operated. No problem. Loving my G30 with 365 km on it.
Hello. Where did u get the drivers guide for iP please?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #32
54Me
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
Forgot to mention that I'm still driving my F10 and that's how it works. Have to use iDrive to reject a call.

Still waiting for my G30 (longest wait of my life). How did you get your hands on the user manual?
Search for BMW Driver's Guide in your App store. Enter a VIN from any G30 at your dealer or from online dealer websites. There is another thread on this I can't find right now where someone gave a VIN that worked as well... I have my VIN but it's not working yet (just came out of production).
Appreciate 0