BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Photos - Video - Build Threads My 2020 M550i build

06-11-2023, 02:16 PM   #1
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

My 2020 M550i build

I've been on the Forum for a while now, so I figure why not join the club and share my build. I've owned this car since January 2021 and have gone for a sleeper look that doesn't call attention to itself but has been customized to my personal preferences. I'm approaching my 60th birthday and have no interest in making it ride stiffer or louder. (I got that out of my system 30 years ago on my 1985 Mustang GT.) My focus has been to keep it comfortable, fast, reliable, and high tech.

The factory spec is Black Sapphire with Premium Package, Driving Assistance Plus, Luxury Seating, Parking Assistance, black Nappa leather interior, heated steering, and front/back heated seats. I since retrofitted the "space saver" spare tire as well.

Mods include:
  • DME Unlock with BM3 Stage 1 tune on 100% stock powertrain and exhaust
  • xHP Stage 3 Transmission tune with custom settings
  • Bimmer-Tech Remote Start kit
  • Gentleman Switch in driver side door
  • Black kidney grilles and front reflectors
  • Michelin PS4 summer / Pilot Alpin 5 Winter tires on 19" 664M rims (staggered summer/square winter)
  • 100% stock suspension
  • Stock HK amp with Bavsound mids/tweeters + Ghost subwoofer
  • JL Audio subwoofer amp + 10" subwoofer with custom enclosure in spare tire well
  • Custom USB power supply in headlight switch
  • ALP system with Front 2RX+2Tx sensors, rear 2Rx sensors
  • Thinkware U-1000 dashcam (front/rear) with auxiliary battery mounted in rear
  • Power wiring for Uniden or V1G2 radar detector

Some features I've coded in include:
  • Anti-dazzle high beams
  • Comfort Plus driving mode
  • 200 mph speedometer with M550i logo
  • Lane Change Assist
  • B&W Audio headunit controls

I snapped a few photos the other day during the 15-minute window that it actually stays clean:
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      04-07-2024, 05:58 PM   #2
335xirookie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi E92

Love the build!!! Any issues with the remote start? Any annoying issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 08:56 AM   #3
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xirookie View Post
Love the build!!! Any issues with the remote start? Any annoying issues?
I've thought about writing up a review of the remote start kit but there isn't much discussion about it on the forum so I haven't taken the time. In a nutshell, it works as advertised. Here are a few notes:
1. It took me about four hours to install, and understand that doing so requires re-pinning some connectors that are somewhat difficult to reach.
2. To me, the main downside is that you cannot remove it without re-pinning the connectors back to stock. There should have been loopbacks in the connecting cable that would allow you to remove the module and return the car to factory configuration.
3. The built-in additional features like unfolding the mirrors can interfere with your car if they already include those features from the factory. It appears to power on in an unknown state so you need to do a "factory reset" and manually set all of those options when you first install it, subsequently disconnect the battery, or otherwise remove power from it.
4. The module does not appear to interfere with coding/tuning the car. I was nervous about this because it plugs directly into the BDC which controls the OBD2 port. Still, I installed a power switch that allows me to deactivate the module if needed.
5. The steering wheel heater will turn on when you remote-start the car but not the seat heaters unless you also plug in a seatbelt extender like this one so the car thinks the seat belt is fastened.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 02:11 PM   #4
lanlilan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 540i Xdrive M Sport

Garage List
I've thought about coding in comfort plus - would you mind sharing your experience with the setting? Is it an obvious difference and do you have it on often?
Appreciate 0