BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions LCI 5 series seems very limited in UK?

05-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #23
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Back to the new 5 I guess a review of the 545e when it's out I'm November may be worth a close look to see how it compares with outgoing 540i
In terms of performance I would think the 545e will be similar to the 745e with 0-60 about 5s. The electric range will be a little less than the 535e due to the heavier engine but of course the sound of a 6 cylinder will be worth the extra cost !
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #24
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530D

Quote:
I guess BMW UK decided to keep things simple.

Full Uk details here
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/unite...w-bmw-5-series

545e I assume will come along later.
So looking into further detail from the site and the PDF found on site and specific to UK. Here are the following models and prices for the UK. No 530i and 540i Saloon and no 530d (without xDrive).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-30-2020, 06:15 AM   #25
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguy530 View Post
So looking into further detail from the site and the PDF found on site and specific to UK. Here are the following models and prices for the UK. No 530i and 540i Saloon and no 530d (without xDrive).
The LCI got unveiled this week, the list there is what is available straight away. The models will be added in due course, they can’t just have everything available overnight and bear in mind the LCI comes with the hybrid 48v system so on some engines that may be still in development and delaying things.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #26
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Quote:
The LCI got unveiled this week, the list there is what is available straight away. The models will be added in due course, they can't just have everything available overnight and bear in mind the LCI comes with the hybrid 48v system so on some engines that may be still in development and delaying things.
Yes I'm hoping further models will be introduced next year. 🤞🏼
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #27
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition xDrive

UK site now allows you to spec a 40d X5, so would expect that engine to appear on the 5 series as well eventually??
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 06:47 AM   #28
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

maybe , but I thinking diesels are perhaps going out of fashion?
Certainly in London the ULEZ is biased against diesels with only the latest EU6 allowed in with no extra charge. Whilst the new diesel will be compliant, I just think the word "diesel" is becoming a dirty word.

As the fleet average of CO2 emmissions would appear to be driving the engine choice , with the 550 being such an expensive car, I would imagine they expect to sell a huge amount and thus lower the fleet average whereas they would probably sell more 540is.

Its shame the 550 is so much more expensive as I would love to have a V8, now is probably the best time for personally to own one before they become a thing of the past. With the impending speed limiters on the horizon due to be fitted to cars, sorry to sound very negative but thinking we are at about the peak in combustion engine technology for cars right now and whilst technology has been changing, I think we're now at that point when things will change quickly now.

With the COVID issue right now, the climate has come to the forefront again as we've noticed how much better the air is around us (or was as people are now getting back in the cars in more numbers now).

Ah apologies that all sounded rather negative.....

so unless I magically come into a load of money, I won't be buying a 550 and will stick with my 540 saloon. The last pure combustion engine straight six 5 series (saloon) it would seem here in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #29
admg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Wondering if anyone knew or heard since launch if there's any plans to bring the 540i saloon to the UK? Thinking next summer to get rid of my f31, seriously considering the G31 but it just doesn't look as good to me...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:54 AM   #30
AP
Major General
Rep

Not seen anything. 545e in November at the moment. I can't see happening personally when there is the 545e
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:30 AM   #31
admg
Private First Class
Rep

Problem with the 545e for me is the loss of boot space for the battery. Might end up being the touring I go with!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #32
AP
Major General
Rep

good point about the boot.
how much extra space does it really take up, is it significant? it is just raising the boot floor level ?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:33 AM   #33
AP
Major General
Rep

Also relevant, in case you haven't seen this, this is a review of the LCI
Like this guys reviews, very detailed.

Appreciate 1
admg31.00
      08-21-2020, 02:24 AM   #34
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admg View Post
Problem with the 545e for me is the loss of boot space for the battery. Might end up being the touring I go with!
Looking at a previous post, the issue with the 545e for me is that it will be £ 8k more than a 530e ! That’s an awful lot of money for essentially the same car, same electric range but 1s quicker to 60 - I know the 6 cyl will sound much better than the 4, but as the main point of the plug-in should be to use the electric motor you won’t hear the engine too often. I would have considered one if it was nearer the 530e price, perhaps it will be when available in Nov
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 02:55 AM   #35
admg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
good point about the boot.
how much extra space does it really take up, is it significant? it is just raising the boot floor level ?
I think it loses 120 litres, out of a 530 litre boot thats pretty significant!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 02:56 AM   #36
admg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Also relevant, in case you haven't seen this, this is a review of the LCI
Like this guys reviews, very detailed.

Like his reviews as well, he's very relaxing to listen too!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #37
Jonny2400
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 530d X Drive M Sport

I wouldn’t rule out the 530dX, I had a 540i for the weekend and while I really enjoyed it, I am very happy with my G530dx, I drive it hard and still get 40mpg+ almost double the MPG for losing half a second 0-60, it even sounds pretty decent for a diesel.

At the start I missed the RWD feeling from my F10, but now I really appreciate the X Drive, the grip is insane and inspires confidence, especially when your trying to cross a busy dual carriageway and you just want it to go... sit and spin when you finally get a gap lol.

The rare days, I get a quiet road it still brings a smile to my face, but let’s be honest in the UK with fuel costs of £1:30 a litre the 11mpg from the 550i it’s just an insane amount of money you will be wasting, sat bumper to bumper in traffic.

Even the 540i does well to get high 20s .. a full tank each week is £80 as it is, how many times a week do you really wanna have to fill up ?

If I went for the 540i over the year that works out an extra £6500 just on fuel or £26,000 extra in fuel cost over 4 years ownership .. all for 0.5 seconds faster 0-60.. I mean that would go well towards a bloody decent holiday each year for you and the family lol
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #38
Herr Dreier
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G31 540i Xdrive

Back to the topic, I agree that the options are really limited. I am really struggling with how to select the right options in the new pricelist.

I want a 540i touring m-sport. That bit is easy. I currently have a 530d (F11) SE, so the softer suspension and I like the softer feel. However, with the new price-list, if you want MSport (which I do as I don't like the look of the SE), you *have* to have MSport suspension (no deleting any more). You do get 19" wheels which are NON-runflat (which I'm hoping will minimise the effect of the harder suspension).

You can go for the VDC option to also reduce the effect of the harder suspension. However, you can only do that with the MSport Pro pack which also forces you to have 20" wheels on runflats. I do not want the 20" wheels as they are noisier and firmer (and I'm probably in a minority, but I think they look too big).

I need to try both, so will have to wait until dealers start getting hold of LCI models. The upside is, given the packs are so restrictive, it will be easier to find a car to try with the combinations you are allowed.

Perhaps I'm worrying too much, as I'm not sure what difference MSport suspension will have on the touring anyway, as it has rear air. Plus BMW tend to improve suspension on the LCI, so they might have improved the situation there too. I suppose I could always go with the MSport Pro pack and swap out the wheels afterwards, but then the car is modified, so that's getting into a mess.

Bit annoyed overall, as it's spoiled the fun of choosing which options I wanted.

I did also want rear heated seats, but you *have* to have the comfort plus pack, plus nappa leather, so £6k extra!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #39
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Part of the limited options and set options and pack is because of the new WLTP emissions. Makes it easier for BMW to certify otherwise they will have to test everyone single option combination that is possible.

My only complaint is the lack of exterior trim combination (Chrome/Aluminium) on a MSport model. That option is available in other countries but not UK. I can go for a SE model for the Chrome but will lack the non Shiny black / High Gloss black trim.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #40
Herr Dreier
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G31 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Part of the limited options and set options and pack is because of the new WLTP emissions. Makes it easier for BMW to certify otherwise they will have to test everyone single option combination that is possible.

My only complaint is the lack of exterior trim combination (Chrome/Aluminium) on a MSport model. That option is available in other countries but not UK. I can go for a SE model for the Chrome but will lack the non Shiny black / High Gloss black trim.
Isn't WLTP cross Europe? If that's the case, I can build my exact model requirements on the German configurator.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #41
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Dreier View Post
Quote:

Isn't WLTP cross Europe? If that's the case, I can build my exact model requirements on the German configurator.
Yes it's across Europe and worldwide. Think Country specifications start kicking in as well. UK models are quite well specced like Live Cockpit Professional. German configurator has a lot more options but from what I see some are basic like it's the lower spec Live Cockpit. Looks the subtle differences on the configurator it's amazing the details are on. the online photo in the configurator
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #42
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
They're probably simplifying the product line during COVID limitations and lower order numbers.
      08-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #43
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
They're probably simplifying the product line during COVID limitations and lower order numbers.
Mercedes went down the bundling together of options into a limited number of packs in 2018 - I was told that it was due to the new regs and the new requirement to have emissions for each model and variant. This doesn’t explain why say a German configurator / price list can offer multiple options when elsewhere in Europe they aren’t. Incidentally, the new test is The Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) so maybe not just Europe !
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 06:07 PM   #44
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Dreier View Post
Back to the topic, I agree that the options are really limited. I am really struggling with how to select the right options in the new pricelist.

I want a 540i touring m-sport. That bit is easy. I currently have a 530d (F11) SE, so the softer suspension and I like the softer feel. However, with the new price-list, if you want MSport (which I do as I don't like the look of the SE), you *have* to have MSport suspension (no deleting any more). You do get 19" wheels which are NON-runflat (which I'm hoping will minimise the effect of the harder suspension).

You can go for the VDC option to also reduce the effect of the harder suspension. However, you can only do that with the MSport Pro pack which also forces you to have 20" wheels on runflats. I do not want the 20" wheels as they are noisier and firmer (and I'm probably in a minority, but I think they look too big).

I need to try both, so will have to wait until dealers start getting hold of LCI models. The upside is, given the packs are so restrictive, it will be easier to find a car to try with the combinations you are allowed.

Perhaps I'm worrying too much, as I'm not sure what difference MSport suspension will have on the touring anyway, as it has rear air. Plus BMW tend to improve suspension on the LCI, so they might have improved the situation there too. I suppose I could always go with the MSport Pro pack and swap out the wheels afterwards, but then the car is modified, so that's getting into a mess.

Bit annoyed overall, as it's spoiled the fun of choosing which options I wanted.

I did also want rear heated seats, but you *have* to have the comfort plus pack, plus nappa leather, so £6k extra!
We had ordered a 540i M Sport touring in the UK back in March, but given everything that has happened since, we had to change our order to an LCI model. We’d ordered Mediterranean Blue which is no longer available so we’ve gone for the M Sport Edition because it was the closest colour to what we wanted. We were lucky that most of the options we’d originally selected were bundled together anyway, but we have had to give up a couple of things where we didn’t want to buy the whole pack (such as the heated steering wheel).

A friend of mine who works for a different car manufacturer said that a lot of companies were simplifying and bundling options together to make the manufacturing process easier and keep costs down, but I don’t know how much truth is in that.

Seems to be a bit of a delay on 540i models here. Our local dealership has a few LCI models, but all are diesels. Going by the new car locator, it doesn’t look like any uk dealers have an LCI 540i yet. We’ve been told late Sept to early Oct for ours, despite our order being made ages ago.
Appreciate 1