BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Carplay and iDrive Navigation

05-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

Carplay and iDrive Navigation

Guys, is there a way to have both navigation (with directions) active? It seems like it's one or the other. Reason I'm asking for this is I want the waze features from carplay and the HUD from idrive. I don't have the driving assist plus so the best I can do is use the split screen. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
I don't think you can run both. I'm not sure how that logic would work. However, if the ask is how do you use CarPlay and utilize the other Human Interfaces (HUD, etc.) then I think the answer is that you cannot. This is the #1 reason I don't bother with CarPlay anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
I don't think you can run both. I'm not sure how that logic would work. However, if the ask is how do you use CarPlay and utilize the other Human Interfaces (HUD, etc.) then I think the answer is that you cannot. This is the #1 reason I don't bother with CarPlay anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
That's unfortunate. Was hoping the split screen feature can help out with my problem. Hopefully there's some coding out there that can be done to be able to do this.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
It's a strange use case. You want to use two different navigation apps set to navigate you to the same place? What would be the use case for this added complexity?

I suspect it was blocked due to the added confusion risk. People tend to blindly follow GPS already (not saying you do) so I could see issues where someone would be confused by competing directions from two different systems then driving off a cliff or something.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
It's a strange use case. You want to use two different navigation apps set to navigate you to the same place? What would be the use case for this added complexity?

I suspect it was blocked due to the added confusion risk. People tend to blindly follow GPS already (not saying you do) so I could see issues where someone would be confused by competing directions from two different systems then driving off a cliff or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post

I don't necessarily want both navigation on. I want to hear the notifications of waze. Like camera lights, cops, etc. and you can turn off the waze turn by turn notifications and just have the alerts on.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:00 AM   #6
deeJayOg
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

At least not with iDrive 6. Once you activate a route in Waze it takes over. If you are on a different screen and press MAP it will take you to Waze directly instead of the regular Navi map.

The good news however (not for those with iD6) is that future iDrive 7 at least seems that will have HUD support incoming soon. Meaning you will be able to see the HUD indicators you want, directly from Waze (as long as you also have the iD 7 ) - I'm guessing that for me it will have to be on the next car.
      05-20-2020, 12:33 AM   #7
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeJayOg View Post
At least not with iDrive 6. Once you activate a route in Waze it takes over. If you are on a different screen and press MAP it will take you to Waze directly instead of the regular Navi map.

The good news however (not for those with iD6) is that future iDrive 7 at least seems that will have HUD support incoming soon. Meaning you will be able to see the HUD indicators you want, directly from Waze (as long as you also have the iD 7 ) - I'm guessing that for me it will have to be on the next car.
I have iD7 Lite - November 19 car. I run Waze in CarPlay with just notifications (not directions) on have the iDrive nav on screen and the HUD - works really well. That’s the only way I have found to get speed camera alerts.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-20-2020, 03:27 AM   #8
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Yo cant have both turned on neither can be coded unfortunatley. Conpromise is if you use Spotify it lets the waze and other apps to pass throu so you can hear the notifications from waze while using oem navigation.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #9
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

iDrive will only display one NAV system at a time, so as not to cause confusion when there's a discrepancy between the two. The only work-around is to use the vehicle's own GPS for the HUD and iDrive, then run Waze off the phone without connecting it to CP--not a very elegant solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #10
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin101 View Post
iDrive will only display one NAV system at a time, so as not to cause confusion when there's a discrepancy between the two. The only work-around is to use the vehicle's own GPS for the HUD and iDrive, then run Waze off the phone without connecting it to CP--not a very elegant solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin101 View Post
Thanks for the advise. I will try to do it that as a workaround I guess. Hopefully there is something that can be done in the future.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

If you merely want to be able to hear WAZE, don't turn on car play. use the nav in the car and simply turn on the phone to WAZE. You can then listen to Waze and see the car's nav.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-20-2020, 07:00 PM   #12
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
If you merely want to be able to hear WAZE, don't turn on car play. use the nav in the car and simply turn on the phone to WAZE. You can then listen to Waze and see the car's nav.
Quote:
Will it play through the speakers? I don't have access to try this now so hopefully it's ok that I ask. Thank everyone for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #13
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

That I don't know but it should be loud enough if you turn up the volume and put in on a mount to let you hear it.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2020, 10:58 PM   #14
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That I don't know but it should be loud enough if you turn up the volume and put in on a mount to let you hear it.
Waze does play in the car speaker when carplay is turned off. This is just how i should do it from now on. Thanks for the advice guys.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
      05-26-2020, 04:49 AM   #15
LucaS67
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 530d Xdrive Touring

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burniksapwet View Post
Waze does play in the car speaker when carplay is turned off. This is just how i should do it from now on. Thanks for the advice guys.
Good arrangement! I'll try
Appreciate 0