BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications How safe is a tune in M550i?

06-11-2023, 08:41 AM   #23
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

[QUOTE=alapoint;29912503]Im getting the Carbahn flash tune on the 14th. I went with Carbahn for a few reasons. The big thing is obviously its a well known BMW tune bybStebe Dinan, whos trusted, and not gonna cause issues with my engine(i passed on warranty for this). BMW wont have any issues with flashing it on or off in an event that needs to happen. Or, on a rare occasion there is a software update they can flash it back on. Although, most places like RK Tune, send you the tune and with a computer you can do this yourself. But my piece of mind is its done by the tech/mech that work on my car regularly and they understand my car and the work they did.

Also, If you notice, the tune doesnt increase torque very much at all. Its mostly horse power. Torque is what destroys a lot of these engines. Down low, if theres too much torque, it can actually spin the engine out of timing. Why lots of engines blew up.

I had BM3 on a previous 550. Tons of power and versatily. I loved being able to change tunes and change my options on the tune in a matter of minutes. Few things about BM3 is theres a ton of torque way too low in some cases. You have to be mindful and use more rpm’s. The other issue i had, the tune actually writes over the cars codes so unless you check regularly on the app, no codes will pop up in the cars dash. If you take it anywhere for car issues and they plug your car in, they dont have access to the cars codes either. Not a big deal. You have to remove the tune and relock the dme each time. Again, 3 minutes each way. But…it can be a hastle if you forgot your obdii cord and [...]

Also curious about this tune. Salesman was pushing me to do this tune when I was buying the car for big power under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 09:26 PM   #24
alapoint
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
How did the Carbahn tune go? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on my m850. I want the torque curve a bit flatter at low rpm so I need to see if they can adjust the tune to pull it down a bit at low rpm.
I love it. Havent dyno’d it yet but the car pulls like a train. The tune is designed to protect the car, so the torque is limited till after 3rd gear. But its fast. All top end. When i get it dyno’d ill let you know.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 10:40 PM   #25
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alapoint View Post
I love it. Havent dyno’d it yet but the car pulls like a train. The tune is designed to protect the car, so the torque is limited till after 3rd gear. But its fast. All top end. When i get it dyno’d ill let you know.
So no difference out of the gate ? I don’t mind mid to top end power but was hoping to get low end power from the tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 11:36 AM   #26
alapoint
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifttime85 View Post
So no difference out of the gate ? I don’t mind mid to top end power but was hoping to get low end power from the tune.
If youre looking for a 0-60 machine, this isnt the tune. For me, id rather that because i dont race or do 0-60 standing starts. Id rather reliability and safe on the engine then a torque monster. I actually brought my car back to double check the tune cause it felt stock. It has crazy boost by gear reduction. Now, having said that, if youre looking for a 60-130 car this would be a great tune. The way is it pulls too end after a few gears is awesome. 4 gear is awesome cause it pulls like a bastard but 5th on the interstate will get you jail time faster then your eyes read the speedo. 160mph becomes ridiculously easy.
Appreciate 2
M5pnw75.50
      06-12-2023, 10:31 PM   #27
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If youre looking for a 0-60 machine, this isnt the tune. For me, id rather that because i dont race or do 0-60 standing starts. Id rather reliability and safe on the engine then a torque monster. I actually brought my car back to double check the tune cause it felt stock. It has crazy boost by gear reduction. Now, having said that, if youre looking for a 60-130 car this would be a great tune. The way is it pulls too end after a few gears is awesome. 4 gear is awesome cause it pulls like a bastard but 5th on the interstate will get you jail time faster then your eyes read the speedo. 160mph becomes ridiculously easy.
Thanks for feedback. I’ll need to decide if 60-(jail time) is the powerband I want but am i also curious to see your dynos after the tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 08:13 AM   #28
alapoint
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for feedback. I’ll need to decide if 60-(jail time) is the powerband I want but am i also curious to see your dynos after the tune.
Dyno scheduled for monday at 0900!!! Its a mustang dyno so they read lower than other dynos so keep that in mind. But im curious to see the power band. I wanna see if they can do some pulls in the first few gears to see what the peak power is in those. Ill report back
Appreciate 4
      06-19-2023, 12:03 AM   #29
papa_giorgio
Rep
Drives: F36

Alapoint, you said you brought it back because it felt stock. I'm concerned about this as I'm also thinking to go carbahn and there is no way to verify without a Dyno. What did the dealer say when you brought it in for that?

Totally agree with you, not having fault codes displayed on my dash is a deal breaker for me with bodmod3. That's why I'm leaning towards safe with carbahn.

Do you know if the sport gauge numbers in the sport display gets updated with the new HP/TQ numbers? I was thinking this would be a good way to tell if it was done.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 10:28 AM   #30
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_giorgio View Post
Alapoint, you said you brought it back because it felt stock. I'm concerned about this as I'm also thinking to go carbahn and there is no way to verify without a Dyno. What did the dealer say when you brought it in for that?

Totally agree with you, not having fault codes displayed on my dash is a deal breaker for me with bodmod3. That's why I'm leaning towards safe with carbahn.

Do you know if the sport gauge numbers in the sport display gets updated with the new HP/TQ numbers? I was thinking this would be a good way to tell if it was done.
Hopefully he posts his dyno numbers sometimes this today or this week. I’m on the same boat as you. I want a safe tune that won’t void the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 04:28 PM   #31
alapoint
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_giorgio View Post

I actually brought it to a bmw specific tuner who deals directly with Carbhan. They oulled the tune and they said everything looks fine and that its just the standard boost reduction and maybe traction control. Also, you gotta hit that button on the floor under the pedal to extract all the power. The tune really shows over 100mph when theres no reductions or traction control cutting in.

The sport gauges are adjusted but only go to 640hp lol. They said its just a generic code and not really accurate. More of a gimic

Dyno is for the 26th!!
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2023, 04:29 PM   #32
alapoint
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully he posts his dyno numbers sometimes this today or this week. I’m on the same boat as you. I want a safe tune that won’t void the warranty.
You gotta pay for the warranty and thats just a warranty that covers stuff voided by the tune if that makes sense. Any tune will ultimately void the warranty and theres no way to cover it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 04:31 PM   #33
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
I would want to read the fine print very carefully on any third-party warranty That carbahn is giving you …probably full of all kinds of exclusions and loopholes for them to avoid pain, or to avoid paying in full. They have no interest in dropping money to fix motors.

If you want that much horsepower just go buy an M5 and keep it stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 10:11 AM   #34
alapoint
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
I would want to read the fine print very carefully on any third-party warranty That carbahn is giving you …probably full of all kinds of exclusions and loopholes for them to avoid pain, or to avoid paying in full. They have no interest in dropping money to fix motors.

If you want that much horsepower just go buy an M5 and keep it stock.
Im sure the Carbahn warranty only covers the things they say their tune wont ruin and even then, the second it shows you had any part in premature breakage like crap oil, not letting the engine heat up or redlining the shit out of it, theyll tell you to pound sand.

This tune is safe though and you can have 707hp for $30,000 less than a M5 and at the same time, a more rare car!! Difference is, the M5 is made for these speeds and corners, M550 is not. Its a bit of a couch strapped to a missle
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 12:56 PM   #35
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im sure the Carbahn warranty only covers the things they say their tune wont ruin and even then, the second it shows you had any part in premature breakage like crap oil, not letting the engine heat up or redlining the shit out of it, theyll tell you to pound sand.

This tune is safe though and you can have 707hp for $30,000 less than a M5 and at the same time, a more rare car!! Difference is, the M5 is made for these speeds and corners, M550 is not. Its a bit of a couch strapped to a missle
Just curious did you buy the tune with the warranty or without ?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 04:19 PM   #36
alapoint
Private
Rep

Quote:
Just curious did you buy the tune with the warranty or without ?
Without. Its such a safe tune i wasnt worried about it. Feel like the warranty is a money grab too.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2023, 05:15 AM   #37
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Without. Its such a safe tune i wasnt worried about it. Feel like the warranty is a money grab too.
We're way past the 26th. How did the dyno runs go?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 08:04 AM   #38
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

He posted a new thread :

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2031902

Pretty sick numbers.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 08:26 AM   #39
alapoint
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yessir. It was pushed but i did eventually get it dyno’d. Its a beast. Hopefully the link bellow will bring you there
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 09:24 AM   #40
Jww550i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xdrive

Garage List
2014 bmw x1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiAddict View Post
Same!^ I’m wondering also. I have a 2021 M550i. I know some of the internals are forged, coated etc. but not sure how much power it can hold, obviously depends on the tune/tuner. What’s the best/safest tune...I feel the consensus is BM3? Can’t wait for the 2021 to be tunable. Which tune are you thinking about 23109VC??
Before tuning your car check out RKTunes out of New York this guy Jordan knows his BMW'S. He tuned a 2019 M550I with downpipes, intake and got substantial power and torque gains. Vey detailed in his work!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 12:00 PM   #41
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jww550i View Post
Before tuning your car check out RKTunes out of New York this guy Jordan knows his BMW'S. He tuned a 2019 M550I with downpipes, intake and got substantial power and torque gains. Vey detailed in his work!

The one in the video is overly aggressively tuned, maxing out boost which will heat soak the cooling system (dyno queen as they say).

His ots tune seems to be on par with the other tunes avail- between 680 and 710 hp, keeping in mind that car had some other light mods.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 01:12 PM   #42
Jww550i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xdrive

Garage List
2014 bmw x1  [0.00]
Thank you for the info! Dyno Queen is funny ! His numbers are impressive but you are right you shouldn't have your Boost maxed out. The N63 is already a heatbox! Thanks for the info I'll do a little bit more research
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 11:13 AM   #43
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bmichael View Post
Carbahn tune is BS. I did it and only got 60% of the HP they advertised and only 6% of the torque advertised. I had it dyno'd. Total BS. Probably going to sue them. Car runs fine of course because it basically operates like stock plus a couple percent. Literally only increased wheel torque by 6 lbs. Not worth the money whatsoever.
Did you get this sorted by reflashing? Some other recent posts show the carbahn tune in a good light, with their dyno.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 01:53 PM   #44
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550, '00 750, '97 540,..

Someone said "160 mph is ridiculously easy"

To me, hitting an indicated 163 (prob really 155) on the A92 during the Euro delivery of my e39 540/6 in May of 1997 felt ridiculously easy! Know what you mean, though!
Appreciate 0