BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery New 2023 M550i Order

09-17-2022, 08:02 AM   #1
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M550i

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
New 2023 M550i Order

Hey all,

New member to the forums and posting this thread to give me something to do while waiting for build and delivery.

I used to own E36 and E46 328i's way back and made the switch over to the Audi side when I noticed the new options coming out of BMW were moving farther away from the connected feel of the E36, especially with the steering. Fast forward to this year and I started looking at a V8 with good road manners - (no M or RS, harsh rides). Looked into Audi, but no V8 options unless I went used on 2018 S6 or older. All the new options were V6/hybrid combos, so I looked over at BMW and the M550i seemed to be exactly what I've been looking for. Especially since I've always been eyeing M5s through the years. So I'm back over to owning BMW's again!

I used to work in automotive and some of my old contacts were able to work with a local dealer to book an allocation and get an order going. Here's what I've put together:

235Q M550i xDrive Sedan
A90 - Dark Graphite Metallic
LZFK - Black Nappa Leather
7M9 - Extended Shadowline Trim
4kG - Fine Wood open-pored Ash Grain trim
ZDH - Dynamic Handling Package
ZDY - Driving Assistance Pro Package
ZPK - Parking Assistance Package
ZPX - Executive Package
248 - Heated Steering Wheel
453 - Front ventilated seats
4HA - Front and Rear Heated Seats
4M5 - Leather Dashboard
4T7 - Front massaging seats
776 - Anthracite Alcantara Headliner
3MQ - BMW M 50 Years Emblems

The order is confirmed as scheduled for week 41 production (Oct 9-15). Link to the build: https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...udio/euw3zhif/

Now to keep myself busy during the long wait. Went through this with my E46 2000 328i, there were much fewer ways to keep track of the progress. Not really sure if it's better to have more places to check and obsess or fewer...

Last edited by Greywall; 09-30-2022 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: Changed from 20" to 19" M Y-spoke bi-color jet black wheels
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 10:57 AM   #2
YouAreNext
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad C7

Congrats! When have you placed the order? I've placed mine in April and now production is moved to beginning of October
Appreciate 1
Greywall433.50
      09-17-2022, 12:44 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

The link you posted is fine. That's from the public site. Be mindful posting photos that show either the production number or VIN. Keep those private.

Nice build. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as the M550i is a fantastic car. Are you aware 2023 is the last year for this body style? Just letting you know since you've been out of the BMW world for a bit. The 5 series platform moves to the G60 generation starting 2024. However it appears a V8 will only be available in the M5 so if the V8 is important than this 2023 is a good choice.

Personally, I'd add dynamic handling package to take the handling to another level. Active steering and far less roll in corners. It just feels a lot better and in control at higher speed. It's an excellent option if you're performance minded. If you're looking to trade dollars, I'd drop the massage seats, alcantara headliner and the 50th anniversary badges which gets you half way to DHP. Just my 2 cents. Either way an excellent car.
      09-17-2022, 12:56 PM   #4
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550I

I have the dynamic handling pkge on my 2022, hard to say how much it adds without driving one without it. The car still feels heavy around corners but it's a great vehicle overall. I would add the spare tire as an option and the upgraded stereo if you can get it which I doubt.
Appreciate 1
Greywall433.50
      09-17-2022, 04:19 PM   #5
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreNext View Post
Congrats! When have you placed the order? I've placed mine in April and now production is moved to beginning of October
Thanks! Placed the order couple of weeks ago, Sept 8th. You placed yours all the way back in April?? Why so long? Dealers were telling me around 3-4 months from order to delivery on average.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 04:37 PM   #6
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
The link you posted is fine. That's from the public site. Be mindful posting photos that show either the production number or VIN. Keep those private.
Thanks for the info, edited post to remove note. Some sites have policies about posting links, figured I'd see if that was the case here.

Quote:
Nice build. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as the M550i is a fantastic car. Are you aware 2023 is the last year for this body style? Just letting you know since you've been out of the BMW world for a bit. The 5 series platform moves to the G60 generation starting 2024. However it appears a V8 will only be available in the M5 so if the V8 is important than this 2023 is a good choice.
Thanks, I think getting away from the V8s and saving them for the M and RS tiers has been the trend lately. I saw that if I didn't jump on this opportunity with the last year of the M550i, it would have to be something used in the future. Glad to have been able to get in before this ends too!

Quote:
Personally, I'd add dynamic handling package to take the handling to another level. Active steering and far less roll in corners. It just feels a lot better and in control at higher speed. It's an excellent option if you're performance minded. If you're looking to trade dollars, I'd drop the massage seats, alcantara headliner and the 50th anniversary badges which gets you half way to DHP. Just my 2 cents. Either way an excellent car.
Yeah, I had to mull over the dynamic handling package option but ended up opting out to try and get a less "modified" and more connected to the road feel for the car... one less thing between driver and the road. I definitely want to keep the the more "luxury" options to offset the performance nature of the car.
Appreciate 2
claykin1587.50
Mandingo93497.00
      09-18-2022, 10:20 AM   #7
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliphil View Post
I have the dynamic handling pkge on my 2022, hard to say how much it adds without driving one without it. The car still feels heavy around corners but it's a great vehicle overall. I would add the spare tire as an option and the upgraded stereo if you can get it which I doubt.
Yeah, there were no stereo upgrade options for 2023 or I'd have added that in. I also looked at the spare tire and wasn't too keen on the room it took off from the trunk. We load the car up for local weekend trips and I saw that as an issue.

I would have also liked to drive one with the dynamic handling package to see the difference for myself. But I wasn't able to find any vehicles in the used market that had that, and no new ones at any of the dealers in my area either. Ended up opting out based on keeping driver experience more connected with the road and from reading others opinions on the forums (eh, not the best way to decide).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 08:11 AM   #8
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywall View Post
I would have also liked to drive one with the dynamic handling package to see the difference for myself. But I wasn't able to find any vehicles in the used market that had that, and no new ones at any of the dealers in my area either. Ended up opting out based on keeping driver experience more connected with the road and from reading others opinions on the forums (eh, not the best way to decide).
Yeah, it's not the best, but for some options, the only way.

I have what is effectively the dynamic handling package on my Alpina B7. Realizing of course that it is a different car, some aspects are the same, such as the 4 wheel steering. Of all of the features, that is the one I dislike the most. It makes the car feel kind of disconnected and floaty at speeds. Other than that, the car corners very flat but yet has a compliant ride. If I could keep the dynamic sway bars but lose the 4WS, I would. That's the primary reason I'm moving back to the G30. Also in proper V8 form.

Congrats on the new car!
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 05:03 PM   #9
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550I

Quote:
Yeah, there were no stereo upgrade options for 2023 or I'd have added that in. I also looked at the spare tire and wasn't too keen on the room it took off from the trunk. We load the car up for local weekend trips and I saw that as an issue.

I actually got mine from Passport BMW in MD, tough experience with the finance guys but I am glad I persevered. I hope you love yours as much as I do.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 06:17 AM   #10
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliphil View Post
Tough experience with the finance guys but I am glad I persevered. I hope you love yours as much as I do.
Awesome, can't wait! I'm looking to try and avoid the whole finance experience by either using external financing or going with cash purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 06:21 AM   #11
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Yeah, it's not the best, but for some options, the only way.

I have what is effectively the dynamic handling package on my Alpina B7. Realizing of course that it is a different car, some aspects are the same, such as the 4 wheel steering. Of all of the features, that is the one I dislike the most. It makes the car feel kind of disconnected and floaty at speeds. Other than that, the car corners very flat but yet has a compliant ride. If I could keep the dynamic sway bars but lose the 4WS, I would. That's the primary reason I'm moving back to the G30. Also in proper V8 form.

Congrats on the new car!
Thanks! You know, yesterday after going through all the pros/cons while the car hasn't been locked yet, I finally decided to add the Dynamic Handling Package in. Looked deeper at the tech and reviews and looks like a solid paring with the M550i.

Ultimately I figured if I didn't order it, I was going to for sure regret it after going through all the wait and finally getting the car. After spending $90k, what's another $3.5...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 04:00 PM   #12
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i

Quote:
Thanks! You know, yesterday after going through all the pros/cons while the car hasn't been locked yet, I finally decided to add the Dynamic Handling Package in. Looked deeper at the tech and reviews and looks like a solid paring with the M550i.

Ultimately I figured if I didn't order it, I was going to for sure regret it after going through all the wait and finally getting the car. After spending $90k, what's another $3.5...
I took delivery of my 2023 M550i about three weeks ago, and while not as nimble as an M3, the dynamic handling package was a worthy addition. So far the rear wheel steer hasn't bothered me. I really like it in situations like having to perform a U turn in narrow confines, and I haven't sensed it changing lines in high speed sweepers,...yet. After seeing that the next gen M550i will no longer have a V8, I'm certain that I made the right decision. You are going to LOVE that car.
Appreciate 2
Greywall433.50
RoGo330i142.50
      09-26-2022, 06:12 PM   #13
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostmeister View Post
I took delivery of my 2023 M550i about three weeks ago, and while not as nimble as an M3, the dynamic handling package was a worthy addition. So far the rear wheel steer hasn't bothered me. I really like it in situations like having to perform a U turn in narrow confines, and I haven't sensed it changing lines in high speed sweepers,...yet. After seeing that the next gen M550i will no longer have a V8, I'm certain that I made the right decision. You are going to LOVE that car.
Yeah, the end of the V8 in the 5 series (excluding the m5) makes the M550i a must have if you want the V8 but find the M5's comfort and manners too harsh as a daily driver.

Compared to the M3, I'm sure it's going to lose some of the nimble feel with the added weight... especially that sweet 4.4L V8 up front! Did you get to test drive both with and without the DHP before deciding? I'm just going by what I've read on specs and online opinions. The used one I test drove didn't have it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #14
redblaze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

I have test driven M550i without dynamic handling package and it was quite underwhelming, even a bit disappointing. My M550i does have that and in my opinion it is a great improvement to the vehicle. It definitely does not push M550i to a sports car level but adds a lot of fun to that.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:46 AM   #15
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redblaze View Post
I have test driven M550i without dynamic handling package and it was quite underwhelming, even a bit disappointing. My M550i does have that and in my opinion it is a great improvement to the vehicle. It definitely does not push M550i to a sports car level but adds a lot of fun to that.
Yep I think the M550i was designed to be paired with DHP to handle ride quality with the added V8 weight. Guessing they probably made it an option to be able to keep MSRP lower and charge extra for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:55 AM   #16
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Sales dude at the dealer just emailed to let me know the status of my car has changed to "150 - Production Started", has a VIN assigned, and is now in queue for assembly. Options on the car are locked and can no longer be changed.

It's scheduled for production on 10/17. Is that the date assembly begins or ends?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 09:09 AM   #17
Carmody
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M550i

Quote:
Sales dude at the dealer just emailed to let me know the status of my car has changed to "150 - Production Started", has a VIN assigned, and is now in queue for assembly. Options on the car are locked and can no longer be changed.

It's scheduled for production on 10/17. Is that the date assembly begins or ends?
Mine has also changed status to "Production begins". I interpret 10/17 as the date when production is completed. Maybe I am an optimist.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 10:51 AM   #18
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
either way, the car itself doesnt take much long to build. its only like 7 - 10 days.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 01:29 PM   #19
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i

Quote:
Yeah, the end of the V8 in the 5 series (excluding the m5) makes the M550i a must have if you want the V8 but find the M5's comfort and manners too harsh as a daily driver.

Compared to the M3, I'm sure it's going to lose some of the nimble feel with the added weight... especially that sweet 4.4L V8 up front! Did you get to test drive both with and without the DHP before deciding? I'm just going by what I've read on specs and online opinions. The used one I test drove didn't have it.
I tested two 5 Series w/o DHP, and decided that it would be money well spent. Thus far I haven't regretted my decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 08:20 PM   #20
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmody View Post
Mine has also changed status to "Production begins". I interpret 10/17 as the date when production is completed. Maybe I am an optimist.
lol, you're right it's the production complete date. Hope your optimism gets the cars on the train and boat quickly as well!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 08:21 PM   #21
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostmeister View Post
I tested two 5 Series w/o DHP, and decided that it would be money well spent. Thus far I haven't regretted my decision.
Good to hear that. Either way, it's now locked in and awaiting assembly.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #22
M550iWoW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M550i

Garage List
Hi guys, my status just changed as well to production begins. Hopefully it will be completed in 7-10 days and getting ready to head to the port.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0