BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion California Lawmakers Roll Back Exhaust Noise Ticket Law

09-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #67
em4ef82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F82

I could have taken advantage of this couple weeks ago, instead paid $191 for apparently having an inadequate exhaust system (while traveling less than 40 miles coming to a stop in front of the officer as the car downshifted and exhaust popped few times). Told the officer the exhaust system is stock equipment from the manufacturer, he told me to file a lawsuit to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 11:54 PM   #68
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

09-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #69
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by em4ef82 View Post
I could have taken advantage of this couple weeks ago, instead paid $191 for apparently having an inadequate exhaust system (while traveling less than 40 miles coming to a stop in front of the officer as the car downshifted and exhaust popped few times). Told the officer the exhaust system is stock equipment from the manufacturer, he told me to file a lawsuit to BMW.
so your guilty until proven innocent lol
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      09-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #70
VK///M3
General ‘77
Rep
Drives: S65

Garage List
11.5 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 10:54 PM   #71
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I'm all for a nice exhaust on a nice car.

Unfortunately in CA there is an epidemic of trashy people with trashy cars and cheap loud ricey exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 10:59 PM   #72
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Perfect weather with 4 different terrains available within 1-2 hr drive of each other: beaches, deserts, mountains, forests, and city life. I've gone snowboarding at Big Bear one day and hit Newport Beach for bodyboarding the next. Not to mention the diverse population and cultures and food that come with them. It's not all perfect, but the good makes up for the bad if you have the means to live here.
In my short time here I've found SoCal is only worth it if you live in or near the OC beach cities, most of SD area, or west LA/Malibu/Pasadena areas.

The overwhelming majority of LA is an overcrowded concrete dump and Inland is pure depressing. There's no "real" downtown like SF, Seattle, Philly, Chicago, etc. either.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #73
Malloy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 | 6MT | Slicktop

Supporting info

https://www.awe-tuning.com/news/fix-it/

Quote:
Companies within this release: aFe, AWE, Borla, Corsa, Invidia, Kooks, Magnaflow, MBRP, Tanabe, TurboXS, Turn14 Distribution, and Vibrant Performance

October 1, 2019
Precision Drive, Horsham, Pennsylvania

As taken from a recent SEMA press release, “California Governor Gavin Newsom signed into law SEMA-supported legislation (SB 112) that immediately restores ‘fix-it’ tickets for cars suspected of violating the state’s exhaust noise limit and allows car owners 30 days to correct violations. SB 112 amends a 2018 law which removed this ability, and which generated significant concern within the specialty automotive aftermarket industry and enthusiast community.”

Earlier this year, aFe, AWE, Borla, Corsa, Invidia, Kooks, Magnaflow, MBRP, Tanabe, TurboXS, Turn14 Distribution, and Vibrant Performance formed a coalition in response to the heavy-handed changes to California Assembly Bill 1824, and in defense of their loyal enthusiast consumer-base.

An amendment to California Assembly Bill 1824 was proposed in June of 2018 by then-Governor Jerry Brown as part of the state’s budget process. The original purpose of the bill was to allow law officers to enforce a 95 decibel stationary sound volume limit for passenger cars and light trucks.

Previous to January 1, 2019, motorists deemed to be in violation received what is known as a “fix-it” ticket, which allowed for 30 days to correct the issue. However, starting January 1, 2019, a motorist cited for violating the California exhaust noise law could receive an immediate fine of up to $1,000.00.

In early 2019, SB 112, a budget implementation bill which includes text drawn from a previously SEMA-sponsored bill AB 390 was authored by Assembly Members Jim Frazier and Tim Grayson to expedite action. Under normal legislative procedures, AB 390 would not have been implemented until January 2020.

However, SB 112 is effective immediately, and rolls back AB 1824 to prior enforcement limits where only a “fix-it” ticket can be issued, a resounding victory for California car enthusiasts, and a strong precedent for enthusiast-rights nationwide.

SB 112 was championed in the legislature by Assembly Members Grayson, Tasha Boerner Horvath, Phil Ting, Phil Chen, and Senator Holly Mitchell.
      10-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #74
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
A long time ago when I lived in the people's republic of California I got a fix it ticket. It's totally the officers discretion. They don't carry around decibelometers. I had to buy one take it down to the police dept and get the officer to come outside and show him the reading. It took a while but he finally signed off on it. There are stipulations and I want to say you're supposed to take the reading at like 3000 rpm, but I can't remember.
I believe they have to take the reading at 75% of max rpm/redline. And now it would have to be taken to a BAR smog ref after an appt is made.
Appreciate 0