BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions First Impressions. Driving the new BMW G30 530i Sedan with M Sports Package!

02-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #133
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostongio View Post
On my E60, I never understood the stratified air temperature setting and why BMW is different than every other car maker. Most people think, "Hey, the air coming out of the events is too hot, let me turn down my personal temperature control with this handy temperature knob right here."

Why make two controls that both affect temperature? It seems overly complicated and largely unnecessary. I only need one control for temperature!
No you don't One is for temperature and the other one for draft. All year around I can have the same temperature but depending on the degree of sun and the chill factor from the glass I want warm air in my face, cold air or nothing at all. I think it works perfect and I really use it. The only time I change temperature is when I have (too) much clothes on.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #134
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
No you don't One is for temperature and the other one for draft. All year around I can have the same temperature but depending on the degree of sun and the chill factor from the glass I want warm air in my face, cold air or nothing at all. I think it works perfect and I really use it. The only time I change temperature is when I have (too) much clothes on.
Similar reasoning.

I don't change the temperature, just the finer adjustment for face level ventilation. For me it is an 'extra' comfort feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #135
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

So I looked at and drove a G30 540i for the first time. Not enough for a new thread so I'll add it here. My current cars are a 2015 F10 M5 and a 2016 X4 M40i. Re F10's I've recently driven a 528i service loaner and had driven a '14 550i.

My M5 lease ends late year so definitely will look at the M550i.

Now on to the G30 540i. It was an Alpine White M Sport with Cognaq Dakota multi-contour seats. Pictures as soon as I upload from my iPhone. First impression its a good looking car. Similar to the F10 but modernized with new 7 details thrown in. The F10 looks more plain next to it. I really like the new interior at a glance. More modern and open looking with a less bulky passenger dash area. And more detail to the trim.

Some disappointments: The instrument cluster is an odd mix of fixed numerals and digital. I hope the M550i gets the full digital version. I'm not a fan of the power seat controls bringing up an iDrive page. Especially when having to do fine adjustments getting used to the car and having to navigate unfamiliar streets. The comfort/sport/eco buttons and settings will take some getting used to. I prefer hard buttons to SW controlled touch sensitive ones. Plus the extra modes seem confusing. What is "Sport Individual"? Lastly, why move the center temp dial back to iDrive? I adjust it twice a day half the year in NC, going from cool mornings to a hot car in the afternoon. The other A/C buttons are all shuffled around compared to the F10.

Now on to the good part. The ride/drive was impressive. Plenty of smooth power in the 540i. It seemed smoother and more responsive than my X4 with its 20 extra HP. It must be the lighter weight and lack of AWD? The steering was ultra light in parking lots but felt good on a twisty road. More neutral and confidence inspiring than even my M5! And felt smaller and more nimble. The default mode was fine but the sport modes kicked it up a notch in all areas without being too harsh. AND the side bolsters automatically tightened in sport mode!

It reminded me of my first impressions of the 97-99 540i Sport, a perfect mix of ride/handling/luxury/sport/modern/classic. The E39 nailed it and I think the G30 does as well.

I'm anxiously waiting for an M550i test drive but it will definitely be on the short list to replace the M5.
Appreciate 3
      01-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #136
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

If you are ordering nappa leather, then go for the leather dash as it will be nappa (or nappa like) as well. I especially like the fact that the door tops are also leather.
Appreciate 0