BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Any Recommendations on Tires?

01-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
i*SpY
Rep
Drives: G30

Any Recommendations on Tires?

Hi there,

Just dropped off the 530e for service and dealer told me my rear tires 19'' Michelin Primacy 3 already worn out with only 10k. Have been searching for a replacement with longer tread life (RFT, summer) but looks like not many tires come with the 275/35R19 size.

Does anyone have suggestion on a longer tread life tires replacement? Thanks!

i-SpY
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-spy View Post
Hi there,

Just dropped off the 530e for service and dealer told me my rear tires 19'' Michelin Primacy 3 already worn out with only 10k. Have been searching for a replacement with longer tread life (RFT, summer) but looks like not many tires come with the 275/35R19 size.

i-SpY
Quote:
Hi there,

i-SpY
Are you down to wear bars? 2 visits ago at Bmw service i was told tires beed changing. Last week at service they said my tires are still good.

Ps. I never bought tires
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #3
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

Try some pz4(luxury version with bmw specification) in 245/45/19 in front and 275/40/19 in back. They gonna be taller since they're designed by bmw for the 7 series but still guaranteed to fit your car. They will be cheaper and more comfortable. Tread should be better as well based on my uncle's 7 series not having to change tires for over 30000km lol. Most importantly, they are runflat which seems very important to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
i*SpY
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjackson View Post
Try some pz4(luxury version with bmw specification) in 245/45/19 in front and 275/40/19 in back. They gonna be taller since they're designed by bmw for the 7 series but still guaranteed to fit your car. They will be cheaper and more comfortable. Tread should be better as well based on my uncle's 7 series not having to change tires for over 30000km lol. Most importantly, they are runflat which seems very important to you.
Thanks! Will look into it. I am just surprised it is so difficult to have a OEM run flat/summer alternative due to the size. I should have sticked with the 18''...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
DGM486
Rep
Drives: 530d

I have same wheels and had Pirelli P7s on the car from new. They did 30k miles. Swapped to Dunlop Sportmaxx which are quieter and they still have lots of tread left after 10k miles. Both fun-flat.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
Maniax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

I live in Singapore where it’s summer all round.

I have changed my Michelin Primacy 3 RFTs to the Pirelli Pzero RFTs (performance version) at the stock size of 245/40/19 fronts and 275/35/19 rears.

More comfortable and grip than the Primacy 3s and as quiet as well. Highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:45 AM   #7
Bostongio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

I swapped out my factory Goodrich RFTs (just an okay ride) after one of them hit a pot-hole and blew out the sidewall. So much for RFTs being worth anything. (Luckily, I opted for the optional spare or else I'd be waiting on the side of the road for an hour and would've had to cancel my plans for the evening.)

Replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and couldn't be happier. Non-RFTs and a nice little bump in ride comfort. Had to call around to about a dozen different shops before I could even fine one that had anything in the 245/40R19 size. Most said they'd need to order it from the warehouse.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Do you need RFT's?
Went with Pilot Sport 4 on mine. Hated stock good year RFT
In my experience go flat tires seem to last longer than RF's...

My 540i feels like a new car. Much more quieter and smoother than Good Years with better steering at the same time. Win-Win
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #9
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Do you need RFT's?
Went with Pilot Sport 4 on mine. Hated stock good year RFT
In my experience go flat tires seem to last longer than RF's...

My 540i feels like a new car. Much more quieter and smoother than Good Years with better steering at the same time. Win-Win
Goodyears are POS. Popped two sidewalls in 8K miles. I switched to Michelin PS3ZP, and love them. Runflats with true performance. Expensive, and hard to find, depending on your tire size. Mine are 20 inch. Anyway, there are RF alternatives. However, had PS4S on my M4. Awesome tires, if you want to get rid of RFs.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #10
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostongio View Post
I swapped out my factory Goodrich RFTs (just an okay ride) after one of them hit a pot-hole and blew out the sidewall. So much for RFTs being worth anything. (Luckily, I opted for the optional spare or else I'd be waiting on the side of the road for an hour and would've had to cancel my plans for the evening.)

Replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and couldn't be happier. Non-RFTs and a nice little bump in ride comfort. Had to call around to about a dozen different shops before I could even fine one that had anything in the 245/40R19 size. Most said they'd need to order it from the warehouse.
Quote:

How's the noise with this tire? Mixed reviews get noisy around 70mph
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
Bostongio
Private
United_States
Rep

Quieter than the factory spec tires at 70 mph. But TBH, I can't really hear much road noise at that or any speed due to the already significant sound-deadening material in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #12
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quieter than the factory spec tires at 70 mph. But TBH, I can't really hear much road noise at that or any speed due to the already significant sound-deadening material in the car.
Quote:
Thanks, i think that's what i am going to replace my tires with. Up in air between conti dws06 and michelin pilot as 3+.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:38 AM   #13
Bostongio
Private
United_States
Rep

Those were the two tires I was look at too. It came down to whichever I could find in stock because I couldn't wait 3+ days to get anything else in. I think you can't go wrong with either brand.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:13 PM   #14
SoCal540
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, i think that's what i am going to replace my tires with. Up in air between conti dws06 and michelin pilot as 3+.
I've had both Conti DWS06 and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/3 3+. Both are quality all season tires. I think the DWS06 are a little better in light snow and a little less firm in overall ride. The A/3 3+ appear to handle a little better in dry/wet with better steering response. They're a little firmer overall but you can't go wrong with either tire in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #15
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
Hi there,

i-SpY
Try tirerack.com. They have almost every kind of tire you could think of. Plus extensive testing and comparisons of similar tires. They can ship them over night to your installer.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:04 PM   #16
SoCal540
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It really depends on your needs/wants... The DWS06 have softer sidewalls and are a little quieter. They are slightly better in light snow. The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are firmer, handle better in dry/wet, and have better steering response in my experience.
Appreciate 1