BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Visual Comparison of G30 5 Series vs. Arch Rival E-Class

10-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #133
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Ucca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
WTF planet are you living on? Mercedes outselling BMW and Audi combined together? Get the fuck out of here with your incorrect stats. You sound like a total idiot saying such things when there are those of of us who know that's not accurate. Your comment on here is pathetic and you're clearly ignorant and don't know WTF you're talking about spewing that bullshit talk.
I hope you understood that he was talking only about S-class, 7-series and the A8.

"Year in, year out, the Mercedes-Benz S-Class is the best seller among premium sports sedans, typically moving 20,000-25,000 units a year in the US, more than BMW and Audi combined."

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/2...est-100000-car

The S-class has traditionally won against 7-series in sales:

Since the 7 Series inception, BMW has lost to Mercedes, in terms of sales, every single year with the exception of three. According to Wards Auto, 1997, 1998 and 2002 are the only years that Munich has topped Stuttgart in the full-size luxury car market.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/06/16/ca...l-the-s-class/

The A8 was introduced in 2009, so it's by far the oldest model and for that reason sells even less than usual. Combining that with the usual trend where S beats the 7-series we get the result mentioned in the first paragraph, although i think it's still very very close and a rare occurrence.

---------------------------------------
2014 BMW F11 520d xDrive, 2015 MB C-class AMG Line, 2017 Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Maybe you should the sales figures. The 7-series is beating the S-Class sales so far this year.
      10-17-2016, 06:51 AM   #134
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 PET
Quote:
WTF planet are you living on? Mercedes outselling BMW and Audi combined together? Get the fuck out of here with your incorrect stats. You sound like a total idiot saying such things when there are those of of us who know that's not accurate. Your comment on here is pathetic and you're clearly ignorant and don't know WTF you're talking about spewing that bullshit talk.
Learn to read or go back to school with that kind of language and reading skills. The comment describes that S Class outsells, not Mercedes as a whole. S Class is the marque or specific model of the car, not a car company, hope that explains? And it doesn't matter which company sells most cars anyway because the sales figures contains every car sold including entry level cheap vehicles. A car company which sells most cars every year doesn't mean it is the best. Otherwise, manufacturers like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Bentley, McLaren, Porsche will be in deep sh!t.
Again, maybe you should go back and READ the sales figures. And no need to go back to school. I know exactly what I read. Dumbass.
      10-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #135
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 PET
Quote:
Learn to read or go back to school with that kind of language and reading skills. The comment describes that S Class outsells, not Mercedes as a whole. S Class is the marque or specific model of the car, not a car company, hope that explains? And it doesn't matter which company sells most cars anyway because the sales figures contains every car sold including entry level cheap vehicles. A car company which sells most cars every year doesn't mean it is the best. Otherwise, manufacturers like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Bentley, McLaren, Porsche will be in deep sh!t.
Again, maybe you should go back and READ the sales figures. And no need to go back to school. I know exactly what I read. Dumbass.
And all of you need to understand this. MB S Class Sales include AMG, Maybach, Standard Sedan, Coupe, and convertible. This includes owned fleet lease cars. BMW keeps everything separate. Even the former CEO of MBUSA thinks they're setting themselves up for huge near term financial losses.

If Maybach was so successful, why am I heading over to look at a brand new S600 Maybach for 76k off list?
Appreciate 1
Almaretto2374.00
      10-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #136
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmabmass View Post
Its all a matter of personal preference, of course. I was more talking about the modest redesign of the exterior, though. I think the interior is a significant upgrade over the f10 (which i actually always thought felt outdated since the 'popup' design debuted in the 3 series.

I thought that the new e class interior looked horrible, but when i sat in one last week i had to admit that it felt special.
All valid points, and I agree 100% with you on the exterior.

I guess we'll have to disagree on interior of G30, as well as interior of new E class being "design for old people". Again, I don't personally like the "square" design of the dash that much, but other than that, I feel rest is fantastic (and in my mind, "modern looking" too). Just a reminder that I like most of these boards own and prefer BMW overall. I am just trying to call this one as I see it, and in my opinion, they missed a chance to improve interior of otherwise great looking car. As you said, all matter of personal taste/opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 10:18 PM   #137
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
All valid points, and I agree 100% with you on the exterior.

I guess we'll have to disagree on interior of G30, as well as interior of new E class being "design for old people". Again, I don't personally like the "square" design of the dash that much, but other than that, I feel rest is fantastic (and in my mind, "modern looking" too). Just a reminder that I like most of these boards own and prefer BMW overall. I am just trying to call this one as I see it, and in my opinion, they missed a chance to improve interior of otherwise great looking car. As you said, all matter of personal taste/opinion.
Absolutely! And, of course, if everybody agreed on which interior is the best, there'd only be one car company in the world

I will say that my heart is pretty set on the M550i when it's out, but I've committed myself to test driving pretty much everything under the sun before making my order, so I'll give the E another fair shake as well. I'll even give Lexus a go. Just kidding.... gross.
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      10-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #138
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmabmass View Post
I've committed myself to test driving pretty much everything under the sun before making my order, so I'll give the E another fair shake as well. I'll even give Lexus a go. Just kidding.... gross.
Absolutely, only way to go, even Lexus yeah, though I agree with you on those.
Then, you can enjoy your new 550 knowing you found what you like the most, no second guessing your choice. Blind brand loyalty I sometimes read about in forums like these, that just doesn't sit well with me.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #139
RMcoolX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i

Rear end and interior to the Merc. Everything else to the 5!
      11-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #140
Bostongio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
E-class remains a busy interior with too many buttons and previous-generation multimedia screen. The way MB does its dashboard display is way less intuitive than Audi.

In terms of interior, I'm surprised anyone even compares MB with BMW or Audi. It's BMW, then Audi, then MB way in the back. The four center vents are cool, but that's about all that's going for it. Just a little too swoopy for my tastes...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 01:24 AM   #141
lordmuhata
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

The G30 is a nice car both exterior and interior. Saying that the difference and improvements between e60 and f10 was huge when F10 come to life.
Now the new 5 its a nice car, but wow factory is missing. And i kinda like interior of f10 more.
A little bit disappointed with the whole new BMW series. Its not bad but i expected more. I like the new 6 and 4 most.
Now for the Mercedes, i kinda never like most of their model, but few, their new lines A, C, E, S and SUV class its really, really good. They improve significantly to the past models.
And that is the reason they are leading in sales this year, for first time in 11 years. They find the right balance between sporty and luxury in their cars.
From exterior points of view the new E class and BMW atleast to me its kinda equal. Tho i like side mirrors and rear of the Mercedes more. Bmw have better diffusers.
And for the interior i kinda not like BMW direction. Tho Interior of 5 series its not bad, but its not something special, again its missing the WOW factor, its too simple. And we are talking for a pricey car. In series 7 its even worst.
In Mercedes its both sporty and elegance. Its just looks more luxury, like you are in most expensive car.
The trim line in the interior of the Bmw looks kinda flat now. I do think with the curved dashboard of the old 5 series looks better, esp for the time when its come out. Now its just semple, no wow factor.
More and more premium car automobiles put watches in their car to looks more luxury, will BMW ever do the same?
In Mercedes for example looks very nice.
For the 2 new wheels.
This looks really good to me:
http://g30.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfor...w-5-series.jpg
It gives car more luxury look.

And i do think they could have done better job with the M one:
http://g30.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfor...-saloon--2.jpg
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #142
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

C43

Given the comparison here I WOULD CERTAINLY choose the 5 Series with M-Sport over an E-Class.
However a C43 -- that would be a different response.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 10:43 PM   #143
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

How do any of these compare to the speed of the RS7?
      01-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #144
CaptainJ103
Rep
Drives: BMW

Older folks? well you can say the exact same about BMW, which is also for bland middle aged men and uncles. And MB's target demographic is leaning more and more towards young people now, that's why the CLA exists. Please check your facts before talking. Just took a look at your profile, seeing were you are from and what you wish you'd own all makes sense now. Can't expect a logical reply from you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbertnation View Post
These comparisons are good and all, but really it's a matter of personal taste and choice. Some people love Mercedes designs. It's meant to be luxurious and appealing to older folks. If you factor what they're catering to and who their target demographic is, then they did a good job.

I like the elegant sportiness of bmw much more. To me it's a better design and interior miles ahead. But I also am the farthest from MB's target demographic, and much closer to BWW's.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 08:33 PM   #145
CaptainJ103
Rep
Drives: BMW

Someone obviously have never seen a E class in person. Or just have really bad eye sight. lmao. Why even bother posting if you're gonna say a bunch of non sense biased crap talk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
The e class looks better in pictures. When you see it in person you will have a hell of a time differentiating from the c class. And when you do differentiate you will realize it's actually worse.

The g30 seems to be leaps ahead as far as looking more cohesive and more modern. Assuming it looks better in person as most bmws do
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #146
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I think it looks good... but will have to drive it. My current 5 is specified as sport as you can order it and it is a huge disappointment to drive.

The new car looks BIG. I can't imagine it will drive like a proper BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #147
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

When the new E class was first introduced, I thought pretty much everything about it was terrible. Having been a BMW driver for nearly 16 consecutive years, I never even considered anything else. I firmly believe BMW has the most intuitive technology, timeless designs and relatively low overall maintenance. The power coming from my past three V8s (2 X5s and 550i) has been extraordinary if not borderline unnecessary.

After objectively considering all competitive brands/models to the 5 series while factoring in that this is for business and my second car is more entertaining regardless the configuration, I ultimately ordered the E300.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:26 AM   #148
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

I see lots of common sense and lot's of aggression on this thread, interesting... let's accept that everything is an opinion based on perception with an element of decision based on fact.

I had the option of the new E class or G30 to get now. I chose the G30 due to my own preference (remember we are human so brand, quality, image, experience are very strong factors)

I have been in a new E class (Taxi in Germany) in the back seat... when opening the door lever my hand inadvertently touched (lightly) the small speaker grill & it literally caved in and the speaker disappeared down the door interior... for me that was a shock, but put me off the MB. (i.e. A single experience confirmed my initial choice)

Moreover I think the front and back of the MB looks like a taxi (sorry, I live by Heathrow and see these each day)... I don't want that personally. Definitely the MB is more comfortable than a BMW F10 in the back

The fact is I have driven neither the new E or the G30... but I have an F10 and prefer BMW, that's me.... it does not mean BMW is better necessarily.. that's my point
Appreciate 0