BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 2017: Azerbaijan GP - Baku (June 25)

06-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #45
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
I dont watch nascar and I guess you missed the part where I said Vettel was wrong and that I agree he shouldnt have done that...
No, I got that part. It's your highly suspect statement that everyone else is blowing this out of proportion which is the head scratcher.
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #46
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
I think there were a number of people living the Crashdor dream starting with Bottas.
He's got a hard on for RAI that's for sure.
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #47
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I think the issue here was "retaliation" cannot be tolerated from the stewards.

Regardless if Hamilton is right or not. It is not up to Vettel to come up along side and bump his car.

IMO, I don't think Hamilton "brake check" Vettel at all, but he was intentionally backing up the pack, let the safety car go far enough, then launch his Mercedes out of the last corner. And then Vettel knows from the first SC restart, the Merc just won the drag race, thus VET tried to stay very close and caught off guard how slow Hamilton at the exit the corner.

So the speed difference (one sort of idle, and one accelerate) made VET believed HAM was brake-checking him.

Don't forget at that time, they're not "racing" yet. Safety car has not enter the pitlane, and the Safety Car line was still far ahead. Hamilton was essentially the SC controlling the pace. IF HAM and VET bumping wheels during race, at times is acceptable form the stewards, but now, its purely "retaliation", thus this was not acceptable in any motor sport.
Appreciate 3
EdM53854.50
SonnyJack323.00
solstice5456.50
      06-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #48
Terry989
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X1 xDrive M Sport

Lost a little more respect for Hamilton. I can't believe the prima donna radioed his team and ask them to have Bottas slow down and block Vettel. If that had happened and it actually worked, his next radio call would be tell Bottas to slow down and let me around him.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #49
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I think the issue here was "retaliation" cannot be tolerated from the stewards.

Regardless if Hamilton is right or not. It is not up to Vettel to come up along side and bump his car.

IMO, I don't think Hamilton "brake check" Vettel at all, but he was intentionally backing up the pack, let the safety car go far enough, then launch his Mercedes out of the last corner. And then Vettel knows from the first SC restart, the Merc just won the drag race, thus VET tried to stay very close and caught off guard how slow Hamilton at the exit the corner.

So the speed difference (one sort of idle, and one accelerate) made VET believed HAM was brake-checking him.

Don't forget at that time, they're not "racing" yet. Safety car has not enter the pitlane, and the Safety Car line was still far ahead. Hamilton was essentially the SC controlling the pace. IF HAM and VET bumping wheels during race, at times is acceptable form the stewards, but now, its purely "retaliation", thus this was not acceptable in any motor sport.
^ This +1000

Couldn't have explained it better myself
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #50
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry989 View Post
Lost a little more respect for Hamilton. I can't believe the prima donna radioed his team and ask them to have Bottas slow down and block Vettel. If that had happened and it actually worked, his next radio call would be tell Bottas to slow down and let me around him.
He did first ask whether Bottas was challenging for 2nd.
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack323.00
      06-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #51
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

In short...
HAM played a dirty game and VET got it on his nerves !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #52
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack
Quote:
I dont watch nascar and I guess you missed the part where I said Vettel was wrong and that I agree he shouldnt have done that...
No, I got that part. It's your highly suspect statement that everyone else is blowing this out of proportion which is the head scratcher.
Because they are.. given the punishment the FIA gave him, Id say they even think it isnt that big of a deal. 10 sec stop go while most ppl think he should have been DQ.
      06-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #53
rcracin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
In short...
HAM played a dirty game and VET got it on his nerves !
Dirty game or try to set himself up for the best possible restart?

I'd be doing whatever it takes to get any advantage. He earned the ability to set the pace by being in the lead.
Appreciate 2
      06-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #54
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post

I'd be doing whatever it takes to get any advantage. He earned the ability to set the pace by being in the lead.
With VET on his tail HAM speculated on a surprise pull (restart) because in F1 every 1/100 sec. matters !
And yes actually it's a dirty game , but it's allowed by the FIA

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #55
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
This is not the first time Vettel had crashed behind safety car.
Remember Fuji 2007 when Vettel (P3) crashed into Webber (P2), while Hamilton (P1) slowed behind safety car.
It is tricky not to overtake the safety car and others while keeping both tires and brake temperature. Swerving, accelerating, and braking, and also plan for a good get-away, or keep as close to your opponent in front without crashing.

06-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #56
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry989 View Post
I'm pretty sure what he said was " ask Valterri to slow down if he's not currently battling with anyone."

Once they responded that he was chasing down Stroll that was the end of it.

I'll admit the request did seem a tad over the top.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #57
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
I thought the Vettel anger bump was hilarious. The equivalent of bumping go-karts at that low speed...albeit multimillion dollar go-karts.
      06-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #58
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90
Quote:
lol what?? He 10000% hit the brakes. Watch the replay and look at how fast they are going in the turn compared to how slow Ham is going as Vettel rear ends him.

Hams headrest issue was the universe giving him a penalty since the FIA didnt.
lol what?? FIA 10000% says he didn't hit the brakes nor lifted off. Don't let your bias get in the way of the facts.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...esting-923425/

Quote:
Although Vettel is adamant that he was brake-tested on the exit of Turn 15 prior to him making contact with the rear of the Mercedes, analysis of data from Hamilton's car by the FIA showed no proof of that.

The FIA investigation, which took place during the course of the race, threw up no suggestion that Hamilton had braked nor lifted off entirely.

Furthermore, analysis of how Hamilton had behaved in the first safety car restart, and the one after the incident, showed that the British driver had behaved exactly the same at that point of the track as he prepared to get back up to racing speed.
Fact is Vettel was left for dead on the previous restart and almost lost a place to Perez. He then was attempting to more aggressively stay close to Ham and get a better restart. His defense in post race interviews is embarrassing, even after being told telemetry showed Ham didn't brake check him.
@ .52 "when Hamilton unexpectedly slowed out of turn 15" - From the Formula 1 channel.

06-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #59
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Quote:

Although I don't think it's dirty pool to bunch up close traffic ... it's a tactic that is in a bit of a grey area whether it should be condoned. At the very least looked upon with a bit more scrutiny for now on, as it can impact "driver's safely"

I'm sure Hamilton would had whined to Charlie if the situation would've been reversed .... even though Hamilton regularly uses bunching up traffic to his advantage. He did the same thing to Rossberg last year (even against team orders to go faster) and was sited years back for it when Vettel crashed into Webber. Inquiring with the team about Bottas' ability do the same stuff seems desperate for a 3X Champion ... not gamesmanship.

To me this should be a "driver policed" kind of thing .... like how last season Max got a few "talking to's" for his overly-aggressive driving from Charlie and drivers.

IMHO ... Drivers should make a point of letting Hamilton know to stop the games and just drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #60
rcracin
Major
Rep

I'd use any strategy in my arsenal to win. If it means calling on my team mate, so be it. I like Vettel's talent, but man he's like the Lebron on Formula 1. Whine, bitch, complain any chance he gets. Blue flags, Charlie, brake checking, Max out of control, Kyvat hit me from the rear, bla bla bla.

When Hamilton's desperate, he fires back with a pole position and a killer win. That much was evident last year once he was at the point where he needed nothing short of wins to secure the title. Unfortunately the car failed him in Malaysia.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      06-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #61
cngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
@ .52 "when Hamilton unexpectedly slowed out of turn 15" - From the Formula 1 channel.

That video has been deleted and reuploaded. I wonder why. Watch the video the reuploaded video at the same timestamp and try quoting the commentary again.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #62
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Quote:
I'd use any strategy in my arsenal to win. If it means calling on my team mate, so be it. I like Vettel's talent, but man he's like the Lebron on Formula 1. Whine, bitch, complain any chance he gets. Blue flags, Charlie, brake checking, Max out of control, Kyvat hit me from the rear, bla bla bla.

When Hamilton's desperate, he fires back with a pole position and a killer win. That much was evident last year once he was at the point where he needed nothing short of wins to secure the title. Unfortunately the car failed him in Malaysia.

It's funny because it's true.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 07:42 PM   #63
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List

06-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #64
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post

I'm willing to quit my day job and replace that guy...

Sweet deal... just holding Kimi's steering wheel while taking a jog.

Wonder how much it pays. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #65
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cngo
Quote:

That video has been deleted and reuploaded. I wonder why. Watch the video the reuploaded video at the same timestamp and try quoting the commentary again.
Now it just seems shady. Something doesnt add up. They removed that part but they also dont say that Hamilton didnt touch his brakes or that he didnt slow down.

What it does say is "drivers often weave and brake behind the safety car in order to keep up temps in their brakes and tires. but the FIA examined Hams telemetry and found it to be in order, however, they decided to issue Vettel...."

To me it sounds like they are saying Hamiltons slowing down was normal and not something out of the ordinary like a random brake check. I guess thats why they removed the "unexpected slowing" wording.
      06-27-2017, 10:00 PM   #66
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack
Quote:
Seems like other ppl see it like I do.
Attached Images