BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Removing the G30 front door cards to swap speakers

08-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Removing the G30 front door cards to swap speakers

Anyone got instructions on removing the G30 front door cards ? I want to put in my Bavsound units out of my F10.

(Bavsound have confirmed they will fit, though the mids mount differently than in the F10: against the metal door skin instead of the door card)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
Anyone got instructions on removing the G30 front door cards ? I want to put in my Bavsound units out of my F10.

(Bavsound have confirmed they will fit, though the mids mount differently than in the F10: against the metal door skin instead of the door card)

Thanks
Don't they have the video yet?
I lend them my G30 few months back for the test fit and installation video.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi RG,

I can't see anything yet. I did the F10 doors myself and I guess the process must be similar, just need to know exactly how the trim is clipped in and where the bolts are....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi RG,

I can't see anything yet. I did the F10 doors myself and I guess the process must be similar, just need to know exactly how the trim is clipped in and where the bolts are....
Yea, unfortunately, I can't help you also.
BavSound installed them on my car. Since then, I haven't took the car apart again.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

No worries. I'll ask them direct. They replied promptly to my email about whether F10 units would fit the G30, and I'm sure they'd be keen to have someone singing their praises in G30 forums !
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No worries. I'll ask them direct. They replied promptly to my email about whether F10 units would fit the G30, and I'm sure they'd be keen to have someone singing their praises in G30 forums !
They should.
They are very good in taking care the customers.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep, replied just now. Advised me to hold off for a bit and the video should be available soon. The procedure is "different enough for it to be worth waiting".
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
polly
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

try this link - hope this is what you looking for.
Appreciate 1
jukex0.00
      08-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #9
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Looks good: thanks. Need to work out how to get the centre speaker trim off as well: it seems reluctant to release around the base of the idrive display and I don't want to break anything expensive.

EDIT: seems it's quite easy to remove idrive display. Video doesn't actually show centre speaker trim removal but I know it's just press-fit clips from studying the etkbmw illustration:

Last edited by morellomax; 08-15-2017 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Managed to remove a front door panel and the tweeter pod after much swearing and levering this afternoon. Also got the centre dash speaker grille/vent out. Learnt 2 things essentially:
- the G30 is beautifully built. Great thought has gone into the fixings and ensuring a snug fit and good noise insulation;
- changing the mid speakers in the doors is going to be a PITA because they now mount rearwards to the plastic inner door skin, not forwards to the door trim. While I'm sure the firmer mounting point contributes to the slightly better sound of the HK in the new model, it makes it harder to mount replacement mids with wires exiting to the rear.

I've disconnected the front centre speakers and I managed to swap the front door tweeters to my Bavsound ones, and the slight harshness around the 1-5khz range is gone and the front soundstage is more open, but I would really like to change the mids as well at some point. Will wait for the official video.......
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #11
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Official Bavsound how-to video for G30, including all HK speaker locations:

Definitely more of a PITA than the F10, especially the doors:
- extra gaskets are required to feed the speaker wires out to the side;
- the door handle trim is a pig to prise out;
- the newfangled clips round the edge of the door card are prone to breaking and/or not resetting properly. Make sure you have at least a couple of spares per door available before you start.

Replacing the centre speakers isn't technically difficult, but it's ridiculous (of BMW, not Bavsound) that you have to risk scratching up $1000+ of idrive screen and dash trim just to be able to get off the centre grille.

You can also see how the guy struggles to find a point to insert the trim tool under the rear shelf speaker grille. That struggle is real - I gave up after 15 minutes of getting nowhere, but will retry now I've seen the video.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Official Bavsound how-to video for G30, including all HK speaker locations:

Definitely more of a PITA than the F10, especially the doors:
- extra gaskets are required to feed the speaker wires out to the side;
- the door handle trim is a pig to prise out;
- the newfangled clips round the edge of the door card are prone to breaking and/or not resetting properly. Make sure you have at least a couple of spares per door available before you start.

Replacing the centre speakers isn't technically difficult, but it's ridiculous (of BMW, not Bavsound) that you have to risk scratching up $1000+ of idrive screen and dash trim just to be able to get off the centre grille.

You can also see how the guy struggles to find a point to insert the trim tool under the rear shelf speaker grille. That struggle is real - I gave up after 15 minutes of getting nowhere, but will retry now I've seen the video.
A tip for the rear speaker. You can push it up or off from the car seat's anchor.
That's what I did.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #13
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. Managed the rear shelf speakers fine this time, but have a problem with the rear door mids - the fatter magnet of the Bavsound mid fouls the solid plastic door skin. The how-to video skips this crucial part.....
Appreciate 0