BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery 2019 BMW 5 Series (G30) - Order and Price Guides, and List of Changes

06-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #23
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca View Post
I hate CarPlay - it's such garbage, maybe iOS 12 will make it better but we will see.

I am glad they charge for CarPlay, as opposed to raising the base price and "giving it to you for free"
Waze support is coming with iOS 12. Not sure if Google will update the app to work well with it, or if Apple will hobble it's functionality, but imho, that's Game Over for any factory navigation option. Makes CarPlay worth it imho, even if BMW charges $300 and makes it a subscription.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/4/17...maps-wwdc-2018

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #24
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
BMW figures that most people lease them so if the first year is free and you pay $80 a year for the next two years then Carplay only cost you $160 and it is Wireless!

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #25
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Waze support is coming with iOS 12. Not sure if Google will update the app to work well with it, or if Apple will hobble it's functionality, but imho, that's Game Over for any factory navigation option. Makes CarPlay worth it imho, even if BMW charges $300 and makes it a subscription.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/4/17...maps-wwdc-2018
As long as it's not fully integrated into the car, and in this case I mean directions and controls on HUD, I'm not interested.
      06-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #26
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
But that torque figure is out of this world
Feels slow anyway.
      06-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #27
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Feels slow anyway.
Have you driven one? It has 457 lb-ft!

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #28
raddy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535d xDrive

Ditto..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFans01 View Post
Do you know when will the Canada versions be released?

2019 BMW X3 3.0. xLine, Black on Black
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #29
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post
Looks like the Apple Carplay subscription-only model went live for 2019....
People will only be forced to live with it for a year now. Thank God.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #30
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
BMW figures that most people lease them so if the first year is free and you pay $80 a year for the next two years then Carplay only cost you $160 and it is Wireless!
Well if most people lease, and it use to be a $300 option, depending on residual...

60% means paying $300*.4=$120
55% means paying $300*.45=$135
50% means paying $300*.5=$150

And yes you have to factor in MF and tax but at least on a lease it's pretty close to a wash. So no, for the majority of BMW owners who lease they are not seeing a significant savings.

The people getting screwed are the people who own for 4-8 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #31
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have you driven one? It has 457 lb-ft!
Yes, was seriously considering X5 35d and ended up getting 35i.
      06-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #32
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
What I was saying: Those of us that bought G30 quite early in its life bought Apple CarPlay as a one-off lifetime option (no subscription and not time limited). However if you do a dealer software update, it gets converted to a time limited 3- year subscription
That may be true... But Apple is not licensing their technology as a subscription. Its a one time license... BMW is trying to turn it into a yearly subscription and that is NOT how Apple has licensed the product. BMW wants to make money every year on a product which has a one time license fee and thats not appropriate!

How would you feel if BMW asked you to pay a yearly "subscription" to use the seats in your car?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #33
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
That may be true... But Apple is not licensing their technology as a subscription. Its a one time license... BMW is trying to turn it into a yearly subscription and that is NOT how Apple has licensed the product. BMW wants to make money every year on a product which has a one time license fee and thats not appropriate!

How would you feel if BMW asked you to pay a yearly "subscription" to use the seats in your car?
I am going to disagree with you here, BMW has to perform regular regression testing, and update their software to allow for changes in Apple’s code. Seats don’t change, get bugs introduced, and are internal development.

BMW is going to make money off anything it includes on their car, whether they charge 500 up front, or 300 up front and per year, or just higher per year... it’s a business.

At least it is still an option - if you don’t agree with the subscription model then don’t get Apple car play.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #34
GerWil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Biggest MY2019 change in my opinion:

Active Driving Assistant (5AS), which includes Blind Spot Detection, Lane Departure Warning, Frontal Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning with braking, City Collision Mitigation with braking, and Rear Cross Traffic Alert.

But I am confused about the LED headlights no longer standard... So is BMW reverting back to halogens for the G30?
I believe led headlights are still standard. Only the led fog lights have been removed
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #35
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerWil View Post
Quote:
Biggest MY2019 change in my opinion:

Active Driving Assistant (5AS), which includes Blind Spot Detection, Lane Departure Warning, Frontal Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning with braking, City Collision Mitigation with braking, and Rear Cross Traffic Alert.

But I am confused about the LED headlights no longer standard... So is BMW reverting back to halogens for the G30?
I believe led headlights are still standard. Only the led fog lights have been removed
That's a cheap move IMHO.

Fog lights should be standard on a car in this class and price bracket, just as it was for MY2017-2018.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #36
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:

I am going to disagree with you here, BMW has to perform regular regression testing, and update their software to allow for changes in Apple's code. Seats don't change, get bugs introduced, and are internal development.

BMW is going to make money off anything it includes on their car, whether they charge 500 up front, or 300 up front and per year, or just higher per year... it's a business.

At least it is still an option - if you don't agree with the subscription model then don't get Apple car play.
Agreed. My car doesn't have Apple Car Play but can be added for $300 for "20 years", whatever that means.

I have used Car Play in other cars and it is OK but I find iDrive 6.0 to be fairly good and can't justify paying another $300 to BMW for the "Privilege".

I like Waze but I am not a hardcore fan of the app. I enjoy the iDrive standard NAV just as well.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #37
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
I like Waze but I am not a hardcore fan of the app. I enjoy the iDrive standard NAV just as well.
The difference is not look and feel but content. Waze is crowd-sourced and provides a more up to date experience with the ability to reroute based on actual real time data, as well as spotting upcoming road hazards (like cops). Waze's flaw was its reliance on staring at a 4" hand held screen. Once one relies on a crowd driven system, anything else appears static and simply a digitized version of the glove compartment paper maps we grew up on.
      06-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #38
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am going to disagree with you here, BMW has to perform regular regression testing, and update their software to allow for changes in Apple’s code. Seats don’t change, get bugs introduced, and are internal development.

BMW is going to make money off anything it includes on their car, whether they charge 500 up front, or 300 up front and per year, or just higher per year... it’s a business.

At least it is still an option - if you don’t agree with the subscription model then don’t get Apple car play.
BS

Its not about whether I think Carplay has any value to me (It doesn't). Its about the fact that BMW is charging a yearly subscription fee for a a product who's owner (Apple) only charges a single license fee.

BMW continues to update THEIR code and apply firmware (module) updates to vehicles. If you are under warranty, you get these BMW firmware updates (for all facilities in the vehicle) at no additional cost. If you are outside the warranty period, you can simply pay for the vehicle firmware update. If you don't want/need the firmware update, you simply don't get it applied. Stuff continues to work as always, but you don't get the benefit of any new features which may have been introduced. Your "modules" don't stop working just because you have not paid for an update/upgrade. However, Carplay apparently will...

...and I'm not buying the need to charge separately to "maintain the integratation" of Carplay with all the other systems in the vehicle. Thats BS. If BMW changes the way some other module integrates with Carplay, then thats on BMW to include with any/all the other firmware updates that are relevant to the vehicle. Again, if you do't choose to update the module firmware then none of this should matter in any case...

This is nothing more than BMW greedily trying to charge a subscription fee for a service which is sold by the OEM as a license...
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #39
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
540d is still pathetic 260 something hp?
More like 315bhp/680nm tq
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #40
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Quote:

BS

Its not about whether I think Carplay has any value to me (It doesn't). Its about the fact that BMW is charging a yearly subscription fee for a a product who's owner (Apple) only charges a single license fee.

BMW continues to update THEIR code and apply firmware (module) updates to vehicles. If you are under warranty, you get these BMW firmware updates (for all facilities in the vehicle) at no additional cost. If you are outside the warranty period, you can simply pay for the vehicle firmware update. If you don't want/need the firmware update, you simply don't get it applied. Stuff continues to work as always, but you don't get the benefit of any new features which may have been introduced. Your "modules" don't stop working just because you have not paid for an update/upgrade. However, Carplay apparently will...

...and I'm not buying the need to charge separately to "maintain the integratation" of Carplay with all the other systems in the vehicle. Thats BS. If BMW changes the way some other module integrates with Carplay, then thats on BMW to include with any/all the other firmware updates that are relevant to the vehicle. Again, if you do't choose to update the module firmware then none of this should matter in any case...

This is nothing more than BMW greedily trying to charge a subscription fee for a service which is sold by the OEM as a license...
Quote:
Quote:
I am going to disagree with you here, BMW has to perform regular regression testing, and update their software to allow for changes in Apple's code. Seats don't change, get bugs introduced, and are internal development.

BMW is going to make money off anything it includes on their car, whether they charge 500 up front, or 300 up front and per year, or just higher per year... it's a business.

At least it is still an option - if you don't agree with the subscription model then don't get Apple car play.
BS

I agree 100% with you. It is simply a rip off. Mercedes and Audi are not doing this
      06-15-2018, 04:19 AM   #41
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

In fact other lesser premium car makers do not charge extra for CarPlay
      06-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #42
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
In fact other lesser premium car makers do not charge extra for CarPlay
AFAIK: No Other Car Manufacturer charges a yearly subscription for Carplay.

If anyone knows this to be incorrect, please tell us who else is charging a yearly subscription...

(Full Disclosure: I don't give a crap about Carplay. I'm an Android user and hate pretty much everything about Apple policies/practices/products. However, this is worrisome as it it is clearly a predatory practice by BMW to take advantage of customers who have Apple-induced addictions.)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #43
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Each and every friend of mine who has picked up a BMW has gotten car play (one even had the dealer add it). Each and every friend stopped using it after two days. I'm not sure if it is BMWs implementation of it (cause it worked for me in a Dodge), but it is horrific - to me and my friends.

So... this is a money saving thing for many of us, we won't be out the full $300 if we are silly enough to click the box again. And at the end of the day I'm 100% positive that BMW will make less money by doing this.

AND... I suspect the reason for doing this is they expect to have to do more updates to the software in the car to support future versions of iOS. Alas, like I said, for me and my friends who were dumb enough to check this option, we will save money.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #44
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
More like 315bhp/680nm tq
It's everywhere except North America. Here we are getting 30d rebranded as 40d. The same for 28d - it's rebranded European 20d.