BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Highway vibrations

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-31-2019, 05:45 PM   #45
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
4007
Rep
12,125
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw g30 View Post
I have seen the thread but how is this done?? Is there a speciel tool ??
The linked video may help explain the options and why we can have poorly balanced wheels.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #46
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
LuvMyE92's Avatar
United_States
359
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cary, NC, USA

iTrader: (0)

I'm glad to see that others are having the same issue. I replaced the OE run-flats with Pirelli AS tires, and that did not correct the problem. The shop that installed the tires does a road force balance. I figured that there is no point in me bringing the car to BMW, as they will likely blame the tires, since they are not OE.

It's a light vibration, worse on cement roads or any road with ripples in the pavement. After reading this thread, I'm starting to think that it's a combination of factors, one of which is the car design.

I've had issues in the past with tires that just don't like to stay balanced, and I was back at the tire shop every few thousand miles getting them balanced again as the rubber wore off. It's a pain.
__________________
E90 (hers)
G30 (ours)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #47
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e 2019 M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

Which rims do you have?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #48
Bmw g30
New Member
2
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: Bmw g30
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Iíve spoken to another BMW dealer which has confirmed the problem. They have seen a number of g30/31 having this problem. According to the dealer they have done almost everything on these cars (New tyres/ wheels, balancing, alignment etc) which seems to help but the problem keeps coming back. Unfortunately they donít have a clue ...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #49
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e 2019 M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

I have heard that certain BMW OEM rims shipped with at least G30/G31s have been bent from the factory (multiple cases) causing vibrations. Could it be so that a bent rim can be temporarily balanced well but that would make the problem appear again after a short period of time? Does anyone have this problem with aftermarket rims?

My car is going to the dealer tomorrow morning for the whole day and I am getting a loaner. I will report here if anything was found.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #50
Bmw g30
New Member
2
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: Bmw g30
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFinnish530e View Post
I have heard that certain BMW OEM rims shipped with at least G30/G31s have been bent from the factory (multiple cases) causing vibrations. Could it be so that a bent rim can be temporarily balanced well but that would make the problem appear again after a short period of time? Does anyone have this problem with aftermarket rims?

My car is going to the dealer tomorrow morning for the whole day and I am getting a loaner. I will report here if anything was found.

I have same problem with my aftermarked rims (19 dotz misano with dunlop sport rt), so I donít think its the oem rims.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #51
rob.james.arias
New Member
5
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2015 F36 435i
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

I just purchased a new 540i (last week) and it also has a vibration that begins at 65-70 and does not go away until about 90. I have a theory and would like to see what front bumper you all have. As we know there is the sport line (base) bumper and the m style bumper. I have the sport line bumper. The reason I ask is that on my previous car a Tesla, when they updated the front bumpers in 2016 we had a terrible vibration due to wind resonance. I am thinking this may be a similar issue as it presents in a similar fashion with no rhyme or reason. The M style bumper has what appears to be larger openings that allow more air to passthrough, the sport line bumper does not appear to have as much. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:57 AM   #52
Bmw g30
New Member
2
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: Bmw g30
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.james.arias View Post
I just purchased a new 540i (last week) and it also has a vibration that begins at 65-70 and does not go away until about 90. I have a theory and would like to see what front bumper you all have. As we know there is the sport line (base) bumper and the m style bumper. I have the sport line bumper. The reason I ask is that on my previous car a Tesla, when they updated the front bumpers in 2016 we had a terrible vibration due to wind resonance. I am thinking this may be a similar issue as it presents in a similar fashion with no rhyme or reason. The M style bumper has what appears to be larger openings that allow more air to passthrough, the sport line bumper does not appear to have as much. Just a thought.
Mine is stock...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 05:03 AM   #53
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e 2019 M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

M Sport variant here and vibrating.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 07:13 AM   #54
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
LuvMyE92's Avatar
United_States
359
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cary, NC, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.james.arias View Post
The M style bumper has what appears to be larger openings that allow more air to passthrough, the sport line bumper does not appear to have as much. Just a thought.
That makes me wonder if the grill shutters being open or closed would have an effect. Too bad we can't control that manually to verify.
__________________
E90 (hers)
G30 (ours)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #55
Bmw g30
New Member
2
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: Bmw g30
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
That makes me wonder if the grill shutters being open or closed would have an effect. Too bad we can't control that manually to verify.
Doní t think this is related to the bumper or the grill shutters.
I tend to agree with highlandpete as two Independent dealers have confirmed the problem. The key issue is the wheel assembly interacting in an adverse way with the suspension. This explains why the problem keeps coming back even after a full alignment/ optimization of the car. My vibrations were gone until I swapped back to summertyres.

The director of the Company that Iím Working for have also had the problem. Several alignments, balancing etc. didnít help until the dealer replaced the tyres with RFT contisport which removed the problem. Conclusion, oppose to others the RFTís has had a damping affect on the resonans in his case.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #56
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
LuvMyE92's Avatar
United_States
359
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cary, NC, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw g30 View Post
Conclusion, oppose to others the RFTís has had a damping affect on the resonans in his case.
After I posted earlier today, I thought about it a bit and came to the same conclusion - at least in my case... the suspension is designed for the rather heavy RFT tires, and putting lighter tires could make the wheel/tire combination a bit more bouncy, maybe reacting differently to road imperfections.

This does not, natch, affect those who have this problem with RFT, but maybe just exacerbates it.
__________________
E90 (hers)
G30 (ours)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #57
Jul74
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW G31 520D
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Hi Guys,

I've a G31 520D from 2017 with the same problem.
Changed recently my tyres and kept the same brand and model (Pirelli Cinturato P7 245/45 R18 100 y (*) MOE) and the car started vibrating between 110 km/h and 160 km/h mainly. At 120 km/h its the worst velocity!!!

Just talked to the official BMW dealer and they told me that this is a common problem with G30/31 because they are "very sensitive"!!! The solution is a dynamic balancing of the weals, where they balance the wheels and tyre but add weight to it to simulate the weight of the car on the wheels. Not sure what it means, but the maximum tolerance allowed is 3kg!!! Will schedule the procedure and will let you know the results and if possible post some photos and videos.

The BMW dealer also mentioned that before this solution, they have dismounted almost all the rear of another G30 until they solved with this solution of the dynamic balancing and with information coming from the BMW factory in Germany. Therefore the problem is already known. My tyres unfortunately are not even (although new) and the tyre shop where I've mounted the tyres told me that this is common and especially in Run flat tyre and Pirelli because they are very hard tyres. With time this tends to improve, but would purchase another brand if I new this before.

Glad to help.

Cheers,
Jul

Last edited by Jul74; 11-05-2019 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #58
Bmw g30
New Member
2
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: Bmw g30
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jul74 View Post
Hi Guys,

I've a G31 520D from 2017 with the same problem.
Changed recently my tyres and kept the same brand and model (Pirelli Cinturato P7 245/45 R18 100 y (*) MOE) and the car started vibrating between 110 km/h and 160 km/h mainly. At 120 km/h its the worst velocity!!!

Just talked to the official BMW dealer and they told me that this is a common problem with G30/31 because they are "very sensitive"!!! The solution is a dynamic balancing of the weals, where they balance the wheels and tyre but add weight to it to simulate the weight of the car on the wheels. Not sure what it means, but the maximum tolerance allowed is 3kg!!! Will schedule the procedure and will let you know the results and if possible post some photos and videos.

The BMW dealer also mentioned that before this solution, they have dismounted almost all the rear of another G30 until they solved with this solution of the dynamic balancing and with information coming from the BMW factory in Germany. Therefore the problem is already known. My tyres unfortunately are not even (although new) and the tyre shop where I've mounted the tyres told me that this is common and especially in Run flat tyre and Pirelli because they are very hard tyres. With time this tends to improve, but would purchase another brand if I new this before.

Glad to help.

Cheers,
Jul
Thanks for feedback Jul. What you are referring to is road force balancing of the tyres. Yes, the g30/31 is endeed very sensitive to imbalance but donít count on getting rid of the problem by replacing the tyres with new ones. I have been there! All mine rims have been balanced by this method but no solution. Once you begin to swap between summer, Winter wheels the vibrations Come back.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #59
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
1906
Rep
3,289
Posts

Drives: -
Join Date: May 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Reading this thread is making me have second thoughts about getting a G30 next year! :
I wonder if they'll resolve this issue with the LCI?
__________________
Owned: 440i GC LCI with MPPSK, F31 330D M Sport with MPPK, F11 530D SE, F11 520D SE, E61 530D M Sport, E36 325i plus many MB's, Audi's & Volvo's
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #60
Bmw g30
New Member
2
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: Bmw g30
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFinnish530e View Post
I have heard that certain BMW OEM rims shipped with at least G30/G31s have been bent from the factory (multiple cases) causing vibrations. Could it be so that a bent rim can be temporarily balanced well but that would make the problem appear again after a short period of time? Does anyone have this problem with aftermarket rims?

My car is going to the dealer tomorrow morning for the whole day and I am getting a loaner. I will report here if anything was found.
Any Good news??
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #61
Jul74
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW G31 520D
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw g30 View Post
Thanks for feedback Jul. What you are referring to is road force balancing of the tyres. Yes, the g30/31 is endeed very sensitive to imbalance but donít count on getting rid of the problem by replacing the tyres with new ones. I have been there! All mine rims have been balanced by this method but no solution. Once you begin to swap between summer, Winter wheels the vibrations Come back.
Thanks for your comment BMWG30. Yes, its road force balancing. fortunately we don't have the problem of having winter wheels in Portugal. Just summer wheels!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #62
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e 2019 M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw g30 View Post
Any Good news??
Unfortunately, not yet. I took the car to the dealer (different one Iíve been to before) in the morning. They could not replicate the problem on a test drive (obviously) because you cannot do faster than 100km/h in Finland during winter. The service salesman honestly said me íwhy does it bother at 130km/h, you are never allowed to drive that fastí. I was kinda shocked, and replied, what if I took the car to autobahn, would the vibs then magically disappear?

However, they are keeping my car overnight and doing some more tests and driving tomorrow. I got an entry level 530e xDrive as a loaner, and done 300km on it so far. Not a single vibration has been present, butter smooth ride. Wish mine was like this too. This is on some standard 18 inch alloys and Nokian Hakkapeliitta non-studded winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:03 AM   #63
emre
First Lieutenant
emre's Avatar
Turkey
57
Rep
348
Posts

Drives: G30 540i xDrive
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Istanbul

iTrader: (0)

Never had any vibration issues.
M Sport with passive M Sport suspension, 20" Michelin PS4S + 19" RFT winter set up - no vibrations in either set up.
I have 15mm spacers front and rear for around 2 years, did not have any issues before or after at any speed.
__________________

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #64
richard in NC
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
344
Rep
1,717
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

I never had enough of a vibration issue to complain or pinpoint anything. However since switching to Michelin A/S3+ non-runflat, my M550i is noticeably smoother. Note the tires were road-force balanced. My only complaint is they're a bit noisy. A service tech I was talking with acknowledged that is a common complaint with the G30 and was glad to hear mine is fine at this time with the non-runflats.
__________________
2018 M550i: Med Blue, Mocha : Exec Pkg, Driver Asst & Plus, DHP, 759s, More...
2020 M2 Comp, Sunset Orange/Blk: Orange stitching, DCT, exec pkg, bicolor rims
Gone '16 X4 M40i, '15 M5, '13 X3 35i, '12 335is, '11 X5 50i, '09 Z4 35i, '08 550i, 06 X3, 06 650i, '02 M5, '99 540i
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:58 AM   #65
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
4007
Rep
12,125
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Reading this thread is making me have second thoughts about getting a G30 next year! :
I wonder if they'll resolve this issue with the LCI?
A possible answer to your question. Maybe there is a future solution for the vibrations.

This post may also be of interest to others, who are trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

I wonder... came across the following the other evening, I see BMW are adding a vibration damper to X5 & X7 models when fitting optional (larger rims) above 19". To me, this says something about the vibrations being in the dynamics of the wheels.

Note the warning comment on upgrading wheels.

Quote:
When upgrading the wheel/tire combination in vehicles without a vibration absorber, it is advisable to check the feasibility of retrofitting the vibration absorber. This increases comfort and prevents customer complaints.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2019, 06:33 AM   #66
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
1906
Rep
3,289
Posts

Drives: -
Join Date: May 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Reading this thread is making me have second thoughts about getting a G30 next year! :
I wonder if they'll resolve this issue with the LCI?
A possible answer to your question. Maybe there is a future solution for the vibrations.

This post may also be of interest to others, who are trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

I wonder... came across the following the other evening, I see BMW are adding a vibration damper to X5 & X7 models when fitting optional (larger rims) above 19". To me, this says something about the vibrations being in the dynamics of the wheels.

Note the warning comment on upgrading wheels.

Quote:
When upgrading the wheel/tire combination in vehicles without a vibration absorber, it is advisable to check the feasibility of retrofitting the vibration absorber. This increases comfort and prevents customer complaints.
Would that small block of rubber (?) actually make any difference?
__________________
Owned: 440i GC LCI with MPPSK, F31 330D M Sport with MPPK, F11 530D SE, F11 520D SE, E61 530D M Sport, E36 325i plus many MB's, Audi's & Volvo's
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST