BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Gym Talk! daily talks gym related

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-26-2019, 11:40 PM   #727
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9588
Rep
8,233
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Lat/bi tonight. Hit a pyramid on the preacher bench with 12/12/10/10/8 then back down in the middle. Ran the 1.2 home fast because wife was giving me shit about shitting while running

BEST I have physically felt in a L O N G time
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:18 AM   #728
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
6752
Rep
13,834
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Lat/bi tonight. Hit a pyramid on the preacher bench with 12/12/10/10/8 then back down in the middle. Ran the 1.2 home fast because wife was giving me shit about shitting while running

BEST I have physically felt in a L O N G time
LOL that's should make you run faster right?
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 06:18 AM   #729
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
747
Rep
667
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

How many hours of sleep does everyone get each night? I wish i slept more, but during the week I can never manage to fall asleep until 10:30-11pm and up at 5am. So roughly 6-6.5hrs each night. During the weekend I try to get 7-8hrs.

My motto to grow has always been eat big, sleep big, lift big but I am always slacking on the sleep aspect. Maybe I need to add some melatonin
Appreciate 1
Now_Rudi7590.50

      06-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #730
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
6752
Rep
13,834
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
How many hours of sleep does everyone get each night? I wish i slept more, but during the week I can never manage to fall asleep until 10:30-11pm and up at 5am. So roughly 6-6.5hrs each night. During the weekend I try to get 7-8hrs.

My motto to grow has always been eat big, sleep big, lift big but I am always slacking on the sleep aspect. Maybe I need to add some melatonin
I work shift work so one week I'll work days the following afternoons and 3rd week nights so my sleep pattern is all effed up! I've never seen 6 hours in quite awhile. Most 4-5 hrs.
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
JP10746.50

      06-27-2019, 07:55 AM   #731
Now_Rudi
Soy un perdedor
Now_Rudi's Avatar
7591
Rep
1,465
Posts

Drives: Flaming stock car
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Burning down the trailer park

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
How many hours of sleep does everyone get each night? I wish i slept more, but during the week I can never manage to fall asleep until 10:30-11pm and up at 5am. So roughly 6-6.5hrs each night. During the weekend I try to get 7-8hrs.

My motto to grow has always been eat big, sleep big, lift big but I am always slacking on the sleep aspect. Maybe I need to add some melatonin
Definitely 8 hours is needed for full cycles to be had and for your body to recover. Unfortunately, I'm on the same cycle you are on. I'd love to be in bed by 9:00 and watch a little TV or read before sleep; this is not how it goes....ever. I work 50-55 hours a week, gym 2 hours - 5 days a week, see the girlfriend every night (one week at my house, one week at hers). I get roughly 5 hours of sleep a day M-F and 6-7 hours on the weekends as my body won't allow me sleep past 7ish.

I hate that I don't get enough sleep but I also like my money, my home and car being clean, my gym time and time spent with the girlfriend. At some point I won't have to work so many hours and I'll have more time, but for now, it's hustle time so I can reap the rewards later.
Appreciate 2
JP10746.50

      06-27-2019, 08:28 AM   #732
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
10577
Rep
22,952
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

I generally get about 7 but need to sleep faster.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #733
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9588
Rep
8,233
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

I don't get anywhere near what my body wants, but as compromise I have found that trying to get in multiples of 1.5 hours I feel the best. I get up at 5:30, so my best bedtimes would be 4, 2:30, 1, 11:30, 10, 8:30 (out of the question)

On the weekends, I almost always get in a siesta around 12-1, and again I shoot for that 1.5 hour mark.

The 1.5 is based on observing my normal rhythm using my watch. It's not exact, but a good basis.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #734
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
747
Rep
667
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Seems like were all about in the same boat 5-6hrs during the week except 1moremod getting 7hrs. 7hrs a night is where I'd like to be, I'll usually feel more rested on 7hrs then I do on 8, 8hrs is around the amount that I'll start to feel pretty groggy upon waking up.

Anyone take naps throughout the day and see any benefit? Personally I've always felt that they are a waste of time, and I only get tired enough to take one every now and again. But I am more curious about health benefits.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #735
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
10577
Rep
22,952
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I don't get anywhere near what my body wants, but as compromise I have found that trying to get in multiples of 1.5 hours I feel the best. I get up at 5:30, so my best bedtimes would be 4, 2:30, 1, 11:30, 10, 8:30 (out of the question)

On the weekends, I almost always get in a siesta around 12-1, and again I shoot for that 1.5 hour mark.

The 1.5 is based on observing my normal rhythm using my watch. It's not exact, but a good basis.
That's good observation and backed by some science. You typically get into rem sleep every 90 minutes and cycle gh spikes at that time as well. Waking up on cycle also allows you to feel less groggy getting up.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #736
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
6752
Rep
13,834
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

Ugh first day back on night shift sucks. Just woke up awhile ago and eating my pre workout meal to get ready to hit legs this evening.
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 03:27 PM   #737
Rmtt
Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
7132
Rep
2,084
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

I think I've talked about this before, but I average about 4 hours a night. Been like this my whole life. Been through various sleep studies, and my Dr. eventually told me that everyone is different.....and let my body dictate my needs.

I use to think I had sleep apnea or a disorder, but the studies showed otherwise.

Even when on vacation....longest I sleep is 5-5.5 hours. And that is a conscious effort!

But I'm in bed around 10:00pm....maybe a little later, and up at 2:00 - 2:30 every morning. I don't even use an alarm, and when I wake up, I'm wide awake and feel like I've been in bed 10+ hours.

It's crazy, but I actually feel bad when I try to sleep longer. I get headaches and generally feel like crap. And I stay pretty busy the entire day.

Gym in the morning, shower, and at work usually before 5:30am. At home by 5:30 - 6:00pm....and always have something going on.

Usually have about 2 hours at night where I'm trying to quiet my mind....either reading or TV.

Then rinse, repeat and this continues throughout the weekend. Only difference is that on the weekend, I'm usually doing something around the house, tinkering with one of the cars.....or we will do something like go hiking when the weather is good.
__________________
Everybody has a gameplan....until they get punched in the mouth.
Appreciate 1
JP10746.50

      06-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #738
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
747
Rep
667
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Rmtt, that is crazy. My only comment lol. I was assuming you'd get optimal amounts of sleep but 4hrs!?! Crazy
Appreciate 1
Rmtt7132.00

      06-27-2019, 11:53 PM   #739
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
6752
Rep
13,834
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

I'm sleeping now...at work lol!
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Rmtt7132.00

      06-28-2019, 05:07 AM   #740
Rmtt
Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
7132
Rep
2,084
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Rmtt, that is crazy. My only comment lol. I was assuming you'd get optimal amounts of sleep but 4hrs!?! Crazy
Yeah...it's crazy. My wife could sleep 10 hours straight if you let her, and then take a nap that afternoon!

On the weekends, she will usually get up to get a drink of water around 3:00am to find me watching TV waiting on the sun to come up so I can go do something.
__________________
Everybody has a gameplan....until they get punched in the mouth.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 05:21 AM   #741
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
747
Rep
667
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Yeah...it's crazy. My wife could sleep 10 hours straight if you let her, and then take a nap that afternoon!

On the weekends, she will usually get up to get a drink of water around 3:00am to find me watching TV waiting on the sun to come up so I can go do something.
Haha my fiance is the exact same way, she easily gets 8-9hrs each night and would stay in bed longer if she didn't have to go to work.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:03 AM   #742
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
6752
Rep
13,834
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

What's annoying sometimes is that it takes me awhile to fall asleep unless I'm freakin dead tired than I can fall asleep once I lay down. The wife however can fall asleep mid sentence and than snores like right away which now keeps me up
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 08:20 AM   #743
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
747
Rep
667
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
What's annoying sometimes is that it takes me awhile to fall asleep unless I'm freakin dead tired than I can fall asleep once I lay down. The wife however can fall asleep mid sentence and than snores like right away which now keeps me up
Lol sounds tough man. I'll usually pass out relatively quickly once I lay down, but I don't lay down until I get tired because I'll be restless just laying there else wise.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt7132.00

      06-28-2019, 08:22 AM   #744
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
747
Rep
667
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Arms this morning, had these bad bois feeling like balloons. Wish they could always look that way haha

Also hit the stairs/abs prior to arms, ran a 5k after my lift. Feeling like a millions bucks
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #745
FlaPatsFan
Major
728
Rep
1,161
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i wagon
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Rmtt, that is crazy. My only comment lol. I was assuming you'd get optimal amounts of sleep but 4hrs!?! Crazy
Rmtt is a freak, that kind of sleep would leave anyone barely functional. Yet some how some way it works for him.

I place a huge emphasis on my rest/recovery. Sleep being the biggest component. Due to my work schedule, shift work 12hrs (3p-3a) and having a 2 yo...some nights itís 5.5-6 hours thatís all. On off days I try and stock pile sleep...8,9,10 hours. Iíll basically try and go to sleep when my little guy does. My wife is up earlymost days.

One thing that made a BIG impact on our sleep is the mattress we have. I generally replace my mattress every 8 years depending. I have a new memory foam cool max mattress which keeps my body temperature In check. I used to wake up hot and sweaty. We live in Florida so this was an issue. I know feel I am getting much better REM sleep and deep sleep, crucial for recovery.

Iím thinking about purchasing a Oura Ring. Itís a ring you wear at night while you sleep and tracks your sleep patterns. Iíve heard a lot of good things. If you track your food, track your programming you should track your sleep. The three go hand in hand.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt7132.00
JP10746.50

      06-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #746
Rmtt
Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
7132
Rep
2,084
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Lol sounds tough man. I'll usually pass out relatively quickly once I lay down, but I don't lay down until I get tired because I'll be restless just laying there else wise.
Same here....My wife says I'm OCD in the fact that I usually have my entire day planned out. If I don't have something occupying my time or to look forward to doing...I feel lost?
__________________
Everybody has a gameplan....until they get punched in the mouth.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:30 AM   #747
Rmtt
Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
7132
Rep
2,084
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Arms this morning, had these bad bois feeling like balloons. Wish they could always look that way haha

Also hit the stairs/abs prior to arms, ran a 5k after my lift. Feeling like a millions bucks
Just a story since you mentioned your run....since I am prepping for the beach I have amped up my cardio considerably as I don't like to cut calories.

But this morning at about 3:00am.....I'm just getting going good into a nice hard run on the treadmill at a pretty decent incline. I'm probably about 15 - 18 minutes into my run, when a guy shows up at the front, and motions me over. I figure he forgot his 24 hour key fob...and out of the goodness of my heart I stop my run to let him in as I have been there before.

I open the door...and he says...Hey Man...where is the Marriott? I had to bite my tongue, but told him walk two blocks up and look to the left and he will see it as it's the latest thing they have built and lit up like a Christmas tree.

After that...I just couldn't get back into the mood. So I went straight into my workout. Guess there's always tomorrow.
__________________
Everybody has a gameplan....until they get punched in the mouth.
Appreciate 1
JP10746.50

      06-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #748
Rmtt
Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
7132
Rep
2,084
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Rmtt is a freak, that kind of sleep would leave anyone barely functional. Yet some how some way it works for him.

I place a huge emphasis on my rest/recovery. Sleep being the biggest component. Due to my work schedule, shift work 12hrs (3p-3a) and having a 2 yo...some nights itís 5.5-6 hours thatís all. On off days I try and stock pile sleep...8,9,10 hours. Iíll basically try and go to sleep when my little guy does. My wife is up earlymost days.

One thing that made a BIG impact on our sleep is the mattress we have. I generally replace my mattress every 8 years depending. I have a new memory foam cool max mattress which keeps my body temperature In check. I used to wake up hot and sweaty. We live in Florida so this was an issue. I know feel I am getting much better REM sleep and deep sleep, crucial for recovery.

Iím thinking about purchasing a Oura Ring. Itís a ring you wear at night while you sleep and tracks your sleep patterns. Iíve heard a lot of good things. If you track your food, track your programming you should track your sleep. The three go hand in hand.
Trust me...If I could sleep longer, I definitely would do it. I have always been obsessed about recovery. When I do sleep...I'm out hard.

But I have been through this over and over with my Dr. the last 20 years or so. He finally said....

Him - When you wake up..is it hard to get going?

Me - No...in fact I feel fully rested.

Him - Do you have bouts of being tired during the day...or if you are at your desk do you ever feel like you could fall asleep.

Me - No.

Him - Do you ever feel the need to sleep when sitting at home reading or watching TV when it's not your bedtime.

Me - No.

Him - Well your tests all came back normal, your labs are all good, and we both agree that you don't like to take any type of medicine. So no need in prescribing you anything when it's not needed.....So just let your body dictate what it wants.
__________________
Everybody has a gameplan....until they get punched in the mouth.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST