BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding G31 NBT EVO Traffic info volume setting

06-12-2023, 10:07 AM   #1
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

G31 NBT EVO Traffic info volume setting

Does anyone know how to set volume for Traffic messages?

After speaker upgrade in my pre-LCI 2018 G31 (higher efficiency speakers) the volume of traffic info is way louder than the sound level of other sources. I tried putting the volume down while the traffic message was being broadcast, but the HU did not "remember" this setting and the next message was loud again.

While other sounds (like PDC, etc.) could be adjusted, I could not find the way to set volume of the traffic messages.

Is there a way how to put the volume down permanently? Am I perhaps overlooking an easy and obvious solution? My HU does not have the touch screen and is business navi (basic stereo only).

Any clue is very appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 04:33 PM   #2
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Wait until she's talking to you, then lower or raise the volume. This setting will stick
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 03:53 AM   #3
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

Unfortunately, it does not stick. The HU does not "remember" new setting. Any coding needed?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 11:35 AM   #4
grampsg30
Rep
Drives: bmw 540i

same happening with my chimes and dings with PDC, super loud, and even turned it down in idrive all the way.

it's gotta be a programming thing. there are tons of audio settings in expert mode in bimmercode that have to do with the amp and tone/profiles. just no idea what they all mean or do and no one really has an answer other than "try this one"
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 06:11 AM   #5
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 540 View Post
Unfortunately, it does not stick. The HU does not "remember" new setting. Any coding needed?
Sorry, missed the bit about the HU. It works on my non HU unit, so maybe that's a clue in your search
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 05:29 AM   #6
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

I was able to turn PDC sound/beeps down to acceptable level in iDrive settings. No luck though with traffic. The manual says that the volume of these adopts to the level of played source, but it does not. It has the same level no matter what source you listen and how loud you listen to it.
Deephead, what does it mean "non HU unit"? Did you have to code the volume somehow?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 01:59 AM   #7
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 540 View Post
I was able to turn PDC sound/beeps down to acceptable level in iDrive settings. No luck though with traffic. The manual says that the volume of these adopts to the level of played source, but it does not. It has the same level no matter what source you listen and how loud you listen to it.
Deephead, what does it mean "non HU unit"? Did you have to code the volume somehow?
Sorry I'm getting confused. I thought your abbreviation was a heads up unit whereas you might have meant the head unit.

No coding needed. I just wait for her to chatter about a direction and then whilst she's still talking, lower the volume with the steering wheel button
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 04:00 AM   #8
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, sorry, I meant the headunit. I tried what you propose, but no luck. The volume went down, but the next traffic message was loud again as if I had made no correction. Yesterday I coded the volume on start-up to 10% just to see if that may help. I turned the volume using the knob on the dash. Just in case I will try to do it using steering wheel button.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 08:13 AM   #9
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Found out how to do it. Sitting in the car rather than relying on memory

Go to navigation, then settings, scroll down and you'll find navigation volume.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 10:03 AM   #10
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you, Dephead! I will try as soon as I get into the car and will let you know! I did not think the navi volume is connected with traffic info volume. Cool, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 03:47 AM   #11
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

Following your steps, I tried to adjust the Navi volume. The navi messages are allright in terms of volume (as they were before), but guess what - the volume of the traffic info is intact, i.e. still disturbingly loud :-(. Navi volume therefore is not influenced by the navi volume. I consulted BMW and all they suggested is a software update...
Thank you anyway for your effort, I appreciate that.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 03:50 AM   #12
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Is that traffic info coming from the nav/rtti or is this from fm radio?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 12:06 AM   #13
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Is that traffic info coming from the nav/rtti or is this from fm radio?
I think AP is onto something here. I agree with him that you might be hearing radio broadcasts of traffic delays coming over the radio. I too have found that this interrupts your listening and very loudly as well.

There is a button on the radio with an antenna sending out radio waves and 2 cars. During the interrupting press this and I think from memory you can turn it off that way. Or check the manual! I found it under radio and traffic information.

Might save a trip to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 06:20 AM   #14
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

My traffic info comes through the fm broadcast. Of course I checked the manual and it says nothing else than a/ that the volume is adjusted to the level of the source you are listening and b/ that the volume set during the incoming message is not memorized. Unfortunately, a/ is not the case (as you noticed as well)

I know about this button and yes, this will turn the messages off instantly. However, I want to keep the fm info coming, but not so very loud. I believe that was not the intention of BMW and hope somewhere must me a way to adjust the volume of the fm broadcast traffic info.... I think anyone who upgraded their speakers for more efficient types (and all of them are more efficient than the base stock stereo) must have the same problem. While the sound all parking beepers etc. could be reduced in iDrive, fm traffic messages are somewhat special animal.

BTW: RTTI - I noticed that when you set the button with an antenna off, you turn off both fm traffic messages and RTTI. What sense would it make to pay for RTTI if you are constantly disturbed by loud incoming fm messages which can only be turned off together with the service you pay for??? So, you either pay AND get annoyed by fm messages OR you turn off both messages including the one you pay for. In this not funny? Or am I missing something which is obvious to everyone else?

Last edited by Mike 540; 06-23-2023 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 06:32 AM   #15
AP
Major General
Rep

I would suggest turning that off and subscribing to RTtI
Not sure if you’ve used it before but it’s going to be way better than what’s broadcast over fm radio
Updates every 3 minutes (think I’m right saying that) and accurate down to a couple of hundred yards
Added benefit is satnav will take this into account and reroute you if necessary
For this reason I always enter the route into the satnav even if I know it just for traffic info and to save getting stuck. It’s literally saved me hundred of hours
Been using ever since it had it on my 2012 f10. I think that was the first year it came out. Used the 3 g card in the car then , the g30 has a 4 g data card in it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 05:39 AM   #16
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, I think we are getting somewhere now. I believe you are referring to TMS and not RDS or RTTI. You can confirm by looking at the graphic to the left of the map in navigation. It will show 4558 or time. TMS is broadcast as a sub band on classic radio FM ( used to be R3). As AP states, it is v inferior to RTTI. I have always turned it off as above because of the high volume. So your workaround is to get an 4558 subscription for £79 per year, unless your car is within its 3 year warranty period in which case it's free.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 05:41 AM   #17
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, I think we are getting somewhere now. I believe you are referring to TMS and not RDS or RTTI. You can confirm by looking at the graphic to the left of the map in navigation. It will show 4558 or time. TMS is broadcast as a sub band on classic radio FM ( used to be R3). As AP states, it is v inferior to RTTI. I have always turned it off as above because of the high volume. So your workaround is to get an 4558 subscription for £79 per year, unless your car is within its 3 year warranty period in which case it's free.
Actually I see you are in Europe so classic FM is not relevant.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 04:08 AM   #18
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

Gents, thank you for your recommendation. I have been only referring to fm (RDS) messages while not using navigation. Is RTTI voice messages or text only? When I keep RTTI button activated, I will again be bothered by loud RDS as this has been the case up to now..:-(. Sorry, maybe I am getting confused but I can see no way switching off RDS while still receiving RTTI...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 04:55 AM   #19
AP
Major General
Rep

Rtti is overlayed on to the satnav map
So you’ll see yellow or red roads where this some congestion. If you have a destination entered into the satnav it will take this into account and potentially reroute you enroute if need be
It can also advise you about road closures, danagerous items in road etc etc.
This information is update I believe every 3 minutes so is very up to date
The satnav display will display the letters RTTi at the top which indicates that it is active ( ie your connected drive subscription is valid)

If you don’t have a rtti subscription, the system will fall back to RDS TMC which is a less sophisticated system sending out less detailed info ie mainly motorways and major roads and this is updated every 15 mins and is broadcast over fm radio in the background ( you don’t have to have the radio on)

Then there traffic info which is just audio broadcast on fm stations .

I really think rtti is in my opinion the most worth while subscription you can get . It will save you many hours taking you around bad traffic and road closures

At least I’m U.K. it’s free for first 3 years and then about £120 I think for each year afteards via connected drive
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 01:22 PM   #20
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just paid £79 for the year plus some other stuff I won't use.

Today saved me from joining a 43 minute queue on the A23 with no escape. Rerouted beautifully
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 03:35 AM   #21
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks very much for the reference. Does this mean that the RTTI subscription is going to save me from loud RDS reception due to no RDS fallback (when the traffic message button is on)? Do you get any RTTI messages even if the Navigation is not in use (not on)? I think I will try the subscription just to see how it works...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 04:03 AM   #22
AP
Major General
Rep

The rds traffic announcements are complete seperayr and if memory serves they are switched on via the button with I think images of stacked cars on it
That’s from memory, can’t recollect 100%

You should just be able to turn that off

Rtti I don’t believe has any audio aspect to it for warnings I think , but then I’ve always turned the audio off so again not 100% sure of that

Once you’ve had rtti , you wouldn’t want to go back. As you see by the previous poster, it can save you getting in some quite dreadful traffic jams
Appreciate 0