BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2019 550IX 1.5 Years of Ownership Love the Car Disappointed in Build Quality

11-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30/M550ix 2019

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
2019 550IX 1.5 Years of Ownership Love the Car Disappointed in Build Quality

So I have now had my 2019 550IX for almost 1.5 years. I picked it up in 8/19 from the Performance Center in SC. It is fun car to drive. I love the power of the V8 engine. It is exactly what I was looking for. A mix of raw power, comfort and sporty drive-ability. It is not as fleet of foot as the wife's M3 Competition but I wanted a different kind of driver. I love that I can drive it hard around the backroads of W North Carolina but still get in it a do a 7 hour drive in comfort and style.

Now my issues with the car. The Build quality of the components in the car simply do not seem to meet the price point of the car. I have had issues in less than 18 months. None of them left me stranded but IMHO none of them should have happened on a $80,000+ car. These are the 4 issues I have had.
  • 9/19 The Left Rear Trunk lid Tail Lamp was replaced because it cracked. 1492 miles on the car
  • 9/20 TPMS sensor in one of the tires died causing the system to intermittently fail. It was replaced. 6730 Miles on the car.
  • 10/20 The CEL came on and NVLD switch shorted and the venting line with leak fault was triggered. Senor was replaced and line test OK. 7236 Miles on the car.
  • 11/20 Cracked a windshield. Took a rock to the passengers side near the pillar which immediately turned into a 5" crack. This is not BMW's fault.

3 of these were resolved at the dealer under warranty. The windshield was replaced at the dealer using insurance. It was easy enough to do and none of them were major but they all were a bit of a hassle. The closest dealer is 45 minutes away and getting the car there and back takes a while. Luckily I work with good service advisor who makes sure a loaner is available if the repair is going to take more than a few hours.

The 5th issue came up yesterday while I was cleaning the car. I went to move the drivers side front bolster to clean the gap between the seat and the knob snapped off. Service was already closed so I have to call tomorrow to schedule and appointment to get it fixed. I assume this will be fixed under warranty as well.

As I stated none of these left me on the side of the road. None of them really effected the performance of the car wit the exception of the CEL. I did not drive the car hard once it came on and was at the dealer within 2 days but they all seem to be build quality failures on the part of BMW and their parts suppliers. We have not these types of issues with the wife 2018 M3. The excellent initial quality of her M3 prompted me to move from Audi to BMW. Maybe I am just unlucky. Maybe I have a Friday afternoon build during the Bundesliga Championship but I will say that I am disappointed with the over all QC and quality. Have other G30 owners experienced similar small parts failures? I am interested to here from others you have more miles on their G30 than I do. It concerns me that once the warranty is up these small things will start to add up. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
Scotty B
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M550

I feel your pain and pleasure. I like taking the Blue Ridge to Deals Gap and back up through Sevierville or the drive between Boone and Hampton. I am in one month of ownership and have had:
  • Intake Vanos solenoid replaced - did not affect driveability
  • Rocker panel clips replaced on drivers side due to bass causing a rattle
  • Sunroof seal replaced due to creaking/squeaking
  • Wheel replaced due to defect in clear coat

None left me stranded and warranty covered everything but coming from Acura where I never experienced these issues, I wonder what long term maintenance is going to look like.

All of those thoughts go away though once you step past the accelerator kick down in sport plus and the violence starts.

Last edited by Scotty B; 11-22-2020 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30/M550ix 2019

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty B View Post
I feel your pain and pleasure. I like taking the Blue Ridge to Deals Gap and back up through Sevierville or the drive between Boone and Hampton. I am in one month of ownership and have had:
  • Intake Vanos solenoid replaced - did not affect driveability
  • Rocker panel clips replaced on drivers side due to bass causing a rattle
  • Sunroof seal replaced due to creaking/squeaking
  • Wheel replaced due to defect in clear coat

None left me stranded and warranty covered everything but coming from Acura where I never experienced these issues, I wonder what long term maintenance is going to look like.

All of those thoughts go away though once you step past the accelerator kick down in sport plus and the violence starts.
I agree. The car is just such a great driving sedan. I love that aspect of it but worry about the long term. I figure I will have a better free when I get closer to the end of the warranty period. At that point I will either pony up for a BMW dealer extended warranty or I will move on. Maybe I we will get lucky and things will iron themselves out.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:44 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Yeah, I definitely feel your frustration and I hope you're looking at problem free miles ahead.

Part of the benefit of getting it fresh from the factory is you get a really good chance to evaluate the car ahead of its warranty expiring. We can look at the reliability across the brand and across the model or even model year, but you can still end up with a problematic car even if others are problem free.

If you get towards the end of the factory bumper to bumper and the repairs stacked up I'd evaluate swapping compared to extended warranty. If others are problem free and you have an outlier it would be better to swap I think as even if someone else is paying it isn't fun needing routine repairs.

All that said, I'm 13 months into my MY2020 530e and just shy of 10K miles with no issues. Although the factory did forget to put an xDrive badge on my car (and a few others as well at the time), but that's minor enough to not be a big deal.

If you have Consumer Reports you can look at owner reports across the model and MY (but not trim). 2019 and 2020 look like good years overall for the G30 so far. So there is that.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...lity/?pagestop
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:24 AM   #5
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

To my fellow North Carolinian: this isn't a big deal.

Really, you've got a very complex car with lots of potential for failure, and all of yours have been quite minor. To paraphrase, a piece of broken plastic, a bad sensor and another bad sensor.

You want to feel better? Ask me about my new M2. Multiple visits for the same issues, things not plugged back in by the dealership requiring return visits, replacing the entire iDrive system and the entire steering rack, all before 5K miles. I finally got all of the bugs out of it and sold it.

My G30 is about the same age as yours with a few more miles, and the only issue I've had is the highway vibration that many complain about. I haven't tried to get it resolved because I'm sure the dealer will blame my tires since I took off the OE runflats.

This car is a lease, so we'll see how I feel about it when the lease is up, if I buy it or move on to something else. I too worry about owning one of these out of warranty.

I've owned a lot of BMW cars (and motorcycles) and overall my experience has been good. There were a few that were problematic and I got the dealer to buy back one of them and BMW bought back another, but I keep going back because as good as Audi is, and Mercedes (and I've owned both) the BMW is still a better driving car.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0