F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Strange grinding noise, rough idling and gaps in acceleration!
proTUNING Freaks

07-10-2022, 07:38 AM   #1
BWD
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i F30

Unhappy Strange grinding noise, rough idling and gaps in acceleration!

I have copy and pasted a similar post I found as it describes my issue completely but the user has no left so I cannot find an answer from them!

“ I've noticed my 318i makes a weird grinding sort of noise when decelerating, almost like a bike chain when you're not pedalling?

It does not make the noise when stationary in neutral, however, if the car is slightly rolling and I rev in neutral, the noise appears when the revs start dropping.

It doesn't make any noise under acceleration, only when the revs begin to drop, even if the clutch is depressed, the noise will continue.

Any ideas?

I've not noticed any performance issues, it is just a really ugly noise!”

Additionally, I’ve noticed my car idling has become increasingly rough, jolting the car and under acceleration it almost feels like there is pauses in the acceleration!

I’m pretty sure my timing chain is getting ready to retire but just wanted some opinions!

Car 318i LCI

Mileage 63k

Cheers!
Appreciate 0