BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions How do you turn the car off?

09-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
rallycobra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

How do you turn the car off?

2019 540ix. I hit the start/stop button twice but the car won't turn off. Radio, screen, and lights are still on. I went on the internet and they suggested hit the option button than select turn car off on the nav screen.

Am I missing the off button somewhere, or am I doing something wrong?

It's my wife's car and she is happy with it but I think it is absurd. I drove it last night and between the HUD, interior lighting, nav screen, and executive full digital dash, I could barely see the road. And I'm not even 50 yet with good eyes. This stupid car was lit up like a disco inside. Manufacturers should limit the amount of ambient light in the interior at night.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
every time I've test driven one it has only been one press, the second press probably turns the electronics on after shutting the engine off.

Last edited by Mach550; 09-29-2018 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
One press and open the door. If that doesn't work, press and hold the radio volume button.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
turn car off, open door, lock car

Done!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 08:29 PM   #5
rallycobra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I park the car in my garage so I don't want to lock the door. On my e92 with comfort access you hit the start stop button twice and that turns the car off. This car doesn't shut off with a double press
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 12:44 AM   #6
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycobra View Post
2019 540ix. I hit the start/stop button twice but the car won't turn off. Radio, screen, and lights are still on. I went on the internet and they suggested hit the option button than select turn car off on the nav screen.

It's my wife's car and she is happy with it but I think it is absurd. I drove it last night and between the HUD, interior lighting, nav screen, and executive full digital dash, I could barely see the road. And I'm not even 50 yet with good eyes. This stupid car was lit up like a disco inside. Manufacturers should limit the amount of ambient light in the interior at night.
I understand where you're coming from about the lights being too bright in the car at night. One thing to check out is to turn on the dim at night feature. I can't tell you exactly where it is in iDrive, but it helped me when I enabled it.
      09-30-2018, 01:16 AM   #7
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe this sounds stupid but is your foot on the brake when pressing the power button? You need to do this on some cars but I can't say for sure in the G30 because I don't have mine yet 😎
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #8
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

I think you are completely missing the point. G30 is programmed for what 99.9% of the users would follow; turn off the engine, get out of the car and close the door. Not complicated.

As for interior lights, they are completely customisable. It's not everyone's cup of tea but they've made sure those who don't want the brightness can reduce it completely. I think you need to play around with the iDrive a bit more to figure out all the possibilities.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 10:08 PM   #9
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
Maybe this sounds stupid but is your foot on the brake when pressing the power button? You need to do this on some cars but I can't say for sure in the G30 because I don't have mine yet 😎
I believe that pressing brake while pushing the start button will start engine. Pushing the start button without your foot on the brake turns on electronics but not engine.
I'm talking about turning the car off. I had a car that in order to turn the car off, your foot had to be on the brake while pressing the button. Just like when turning it on
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 10:53 PM   #10
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

One push on "Start/stop" and then opening the door normally shuts down the car for me. That is unless something else has happened in between, in which case you need to hold the power button on the radio for a second or lock the vehicle.

Turning it off isn't a problem. What I find more frustrating is in not getting the car to actually stay off (e.g. when wiping or cleaning the interior). Any brush on the touch sensitive controls or buttons brings it all back to life. If someone has a trick up their sleeve I'd love to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #11
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Quote:

I think you are completely missing the point. G30 is programmed for what 99.9% of the users would follow; turn off the engine, get out of the car and close the door. Not complicated.

As for interior lights, they are completely customisable. It's not everyone's cup of tea but they've made sure those who don't want the brightness can reduce it completely. I think you need to play around with the iDrive a bit more to figure out all the possibilities.
The interior mood lighting can be completely turned off in iDrive if so desired.

OP: please read the owner's manual and included interactive users guides bundled in iDrive.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0