BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications M-sport exhaust quad tip swap?

04-11-2022, 08:20 PM   #1
David91
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

M-sport exhaust quad tip swap?

Can the square m-sport exhaust be swapped with quad tips without modification to the diffuser. Does any company make a “plug and play” swappable set of tips?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 08:54 PM   #2
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by David91 View Post
Can the square m-sport exhaust be swapped with quad tips without modification to the diffuser. Does any company make a “plug and play” swappable set of tips?
It's possible to replace the trapezoid exhaust tips w/o changing the rear diffuser, however I have heard a lot of exhaust/muffler shops hesitate to do the swap as it is not that easy to align the tips properly. Moreover, the ideal exhaust tips (size) should be 3.75" to 4" round tips in order to have that "polished/finished" look.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 09:12 PM   #3
David91
Rep

I figured it might be a PIA. Maybe I’ll just try to find a set of the black m-performance tips to swap out my chrome.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 09:38 PM   #4
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I figured it might be a PIA. Maybe I’ll just try to find a set of the black m-performance tips to swap out my chrome.
To avoid any "cutting'n welding"…I decided to get the Remus cat-back exhaust system instead. Unfortunately, I had to replace the rear diffuser in order to accommodate dual 4" quad exhaust tips. Overall, it was a pricy project though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #5
David91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetieD 7 View Post
To avoid any "cutting'n welding"…I decided to get the Remus cat-back exhaust system instead. Unfortunately, I had to replace the rear diffuser in order to accommodate dual 4" quad exhaust tips. Overall, it was a pricy project though.
Looks really nice, though. I was hoping there might be an easy way to just swap tips and keep the m performance exhaust, which I like very much. Think I’ll just hunt for some black tips or have the chrome square ones powder coated.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 03:57 PM   #6
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I figured it might be a PIA. Maybe I'll just try to find a set of the black m-performance tips to swap out my chrome.
Any chance you can tell me how wide the dual tips are when they are mounted and sitting side by side? I know they are 4" diameter individually. Just wondering how much room is actually needed.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 07:01 PM   #7
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I figured it might be a PIA. Maybe I'll just try to find a set of the black m-performance tips to swap out my chrome.
Any chance you can tell me how wide the dual tips are when they are mounted and sitting side by side? I know they are 4" diameter individually. Just wondering how much room is actually needed.
Once the dual exhaust tips are mounted, the total required width is 8.50" for each side. Therefore, 9.25" to 9.50" would be ideal for rear diffuser openings.
Appreciate 1
NGT25619.00
      04-14-2022, 08:30 PM   #8
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Once the dual exhaust tips are mounted, the total required width is 8.50" for each side. Therefore, 9.25" to 9.50" would be ideal for rear diffuser openings.
Thank you. I have a non M Sport 540 and there is no diffuser to replace. It's all one bumper piece (picture below if you've never noticed). I've measured the existing exhaust tip gaps and I actually think there's a chance it would work, but I wouldn't buy it if I didn't know. I'm assuming this is the reason the Remus site says "for M Sport only".

Maybe I could find some PVC of the same dimension and build a model to mimic the size and find out. The question is all about width, as there is no restriction below the tips.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 09:07 PM   #9
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you. I have a non M Sport 540 and there is no diffuser to replace. It's all one bumper piece (picture below if you've never noticed). I've measured the existing exhaust tip gaps and I actually think there's a chance it would work, but I wouldn't buy it if I didn't know. I'm assuming this is the reason the Remus site says "for M Sport only".

Maybe I could find some PVC of the same dimension and build a model to mimic the size and find out.
I talked to a couple of local folks at my neck of the woods w/ non M Sport model in the past, and was informed that their local performance shops mentioned it was not possible to install various aftermarket exhaust due to subtle difference in the vehicle's undercarriage design….even w/ M Sport rear bumper conversion is still not possible or 100%. They were told custom exhaust job would be an ideal route.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 09:18 PM   #10
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe I could find some PVC of the same dimension and build a model to mimic the size and find out.
I talked to a couple of local folks at my neck of the woods w/ non M Sport model in the past, and was informed that their local performance shops mentioned it was not possible to install various aftermarket exhaust due to subtle difference in the vehicle's undercarriage design….even w/ M Sport rear bumper conversion is still not possible or 100%. They were told custom exhaust job would be an ideal route.
I see. Well I'm glad I asked!

I don't care about brand or manufacturer. What is attractive to me about Remus axle back is that it retains the original flaps that allow it to sound only marginally different in comfort (from what I read here) but actually get some aggressive and deep sound in Sport. I like the conservative and quieter nature in comfort for daily activity (business, kids stuff, etc). But I would like to have the option to open the sound up more in Sport mode.

If a custom exhaust job could accomplish this, that would be just fine with me. Especially if they could work with the factory tips. I actually like the chrome trapezoid OEM tips and with it being a Luxury Line non M Sport, I am trying to keep a more subtle appearance.

If you or anyone else has any insight if any of that is possible with a custom job and a ballpark of what that might cost in comparison to Remus or Dinan, I'm all ears!

Again, thanks for the insight to this point. You're the first person that's had any info on non M Sport options or lack thereof.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 10:17 PM   #11
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I reached out to a couple of well known and established BMW Indy shops in town that do performance tuning and upgrades. I'll create a thread and report back with what they have to say. Thanks again.

Appreciate 3
PetieD 7169.50
540iSUP704.00
G30 B581548.00
      04-23-2022, 01:32 AM   #12
jag81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540iX, E87 130i

I found these and after a quick template mock up, they seem to fit in the same space as the trapezoid tips:

https://xxiituning.com/collections/b...e-exhaust-tips

What I need to check before purchasing is the one outlet dimension to order the right inlet dims from here, and also if the outlet is aligned straight so that these will slide straight on…
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 10:17 PM   #13
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

I want to do the same thing but for the Dinan 540 version. I don't really like the trapezoid tips to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 08:48 AM   #14
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burniksapwet View Post
I want to do the same thing but for the Dinan 540 version. I don't really like the trapezoid tips to be honest.
Have you considered Remus, Amrytrix, or FI exhaust systems which come w/ various 4" quad exhaust tip finishes (chrome, gloss black SS, or CF).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #15
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Have you considered Remus, Amrytrix, or FI exhaust systems which come w/ various 4" quad exhaust tip finishes (chrome, gloss black SS, or CF).
I have. But I'm from Cali and I need the exhaust to be a little tamer than those mentioned. I found that Dinan does that which is why I went with them.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      04-26-2022, 09:37 AM   #16
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have. But I'm from Cali and I need the exhaust to be a little tamer than those mentioned. I found that Dinan does that which of why I went with them.
I probably missed this somewhere, but is yours a 540 or 550?

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 07:25 PM   #17
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have. But I'm from Cali and I need the exhaust to be a little tamer than those mentioned. I found that Dinan does that which of why I went with them.
540. That's why the Dinan exhaust is different from the 550.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 11:40 PM   #18
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I also have a 540. I'm really interested in the Dinan axle back system. For the 540 system, it completely removes the flaps. That makes me somewhat nervous, but everything I read implies it's a tame system (relatively, at least).

Have you already had yours installed? If so, how would you describe the difference to the stock? Is it always a significant increase in sound, or just when you're driving more aggressively, in sport mode, etc.?

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 11:57 PM   #19
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I also have a 540. I'm really interested in the Dinan axle back system. For the 540 system, it completely removes the flaps. That makes me somewhat nervous, but everything I read implies it's a tame system (relatively, at least).

Have you already had yours installed? If so, how would you describe the difference to the stock? Is it always a significant increase in sound, or just when you're driving more aggressively, in sport mode, etc.?

Thanks
I just had mine ordered. Just like everyone here it's delayed. I will definitely let you know my impressions on it once I get it installed.
Appreciate 1
NGT25619.00
      04-27-2022, 12:11 AM   #20
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
I just had mine ordered. Just like everyone here it's delayed. I will definitely let you know my impressions on it once I get it installed.
Gotcha. Well I hope you don't have to wait too long. This supply chain stuff sucks. Looking forward to seeing what you think about it.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 07:52 PM   #21
Bjames93*
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30

I have m550i muffler with custom tips for sale if anyone needs it. Nice upgrade for 540i. Can be welded to fit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 01:39 PM   #22
Corellian Engineering
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i G31

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag81 View Post
I found these and after a quick template mock up, they seem to fit in the same space as the trapezoid tips:

https://xxiituning.com/collections/b...e-exhaust-tips

What I need to check before purchasing is the one outlet dimension to order the right inlet dims from here, and also if the outlet is aligned straight so that these will slide straight on…
nice, very nice .... just take my money
Appreciate 0