BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Low tire warning reset

09-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Low tire warning reset

SO I had a warning come on letting me know I needed air in my tires. Most likely caused by the cooler temperatures we have been having.

I added the correct amount of PSI to bring the cold PSI to 35/41 as per the door sticker.

The next morning I got the warning again but figured I needed to drive it to get it to reset the system, that is how my previous Infiniti worked. The next morning, I got to work and the warning was still showing add air, yet the display showed the proper PSI.

I called the dealer and they said it was strange and to stop in when I could and they would look at it.

I did a google search and found a video that you need to do a reset and then drive as the system calibrates itself. goes form 0%-100% and only calibrates while moving.

Took 20 minutes of driving to complete.

To reset the warning Go to

My Vehicle-Vehicle Status-Tire Pressure Monitor-Click reset (or calibrate) and the percentage will display. If you stop, it says drive off to complete reset.

I'm posting this because its different than any other system I have used that just re re-learned without a reset.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I've never really understood the reset function

When my tyres have been a bit low, I leave the tyre pressure display on in the car and pump up the tyres until the idrive displays them as being correct.

So is a reset subsequently required and if so , what is it actually doing? It takes a short time to complete "whatever it is doing"

But given the idrive reflects that the pressures have been adjusted , do you still need to do it?

I do but not convinced it makes any difference

I can understand if this was the older system that used the wheel speeds to determine if a tyre was flat or not but when you have sensors in the tyre??
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
I did the same as OP. Without doing the "reset", the notification of low tire pressure would not go away
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

The warning stays in the upper right corner of the iDrive unless you reset the system.

It also displays the warning you need to close at every start up.

TO me this is a bad system. It should self reset once the acceptable pressure is detected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I've never really understood the reset function

When my tyres have been a bit low, I leave the tyre pressure display on in the car and pump up the tyres until the idrive displays them as being correct.

So is a reset subsequently required and if so , what is it actually doing? It takes a short time to complete "whatever it is doing"

But given the idrive reflects that the pressures have been adjusted , do you still need to do it?

I do but not convinced it makes any difference

I can understand if this was the older system that used the wheel speeds to determine if a tyre was flat or not but when you have sensors in the tyre??
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
SO I had a warning come on letting me know I needed air in my tires. Most likely caused by the cooler temperatures we have been having.

I added the correct amount of PSI to bring the cold PSI to 35/41 as per the door sticker.

The next morning I got the warning again but figured I needed to drive it to get it to reset the system, that is how my previous Infiniti worked. The next morning, I got to work and the warning was still showing add air, yet the display showed the proper PSI.

I called the dealer and they said it was strange and to stop in when I could and they would look at it.

I did a google search and found a video that you need to do a reset and then drive as the system calibrates itself. goes form 0%-100% and only calibrates while moving.

My Vehicle-Vehicle Status-Tire Pressure Monitor-Click reset (or calibrate) and the percentage will display. If you stop, it says drive off to complete reset.

I'm posting this because its different than any other system I have used that just re re-learned without a reset.
I've had this happen once. What I did to solve the problem was change the tire size in iDrive, exit, and change the tire size back and it reset successfully.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #6
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Quote:

Thanks! I have this issue now and have added more air and won't go away! I'm doing this tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2019, 08:08 AM   #7
TreyWaters
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Garage List
This is odd. I picked up a screw 2 weeks ago and got the low pressure warning. Drove to a tire shop to add air so I could make it home and plug it. As soon as I filled the tire, the pressure warning went away. Got home, removed the wheel, plugged the hole, and re-installed the wheel.

I never had to reset the system, and the warning went away on its own.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i - Silver / Red (2006-2009)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Maybe the 2018 is different than the 2019 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyWaters View Post
This is odd. I picked up a screw 2 weeks ago and got the low pressure warning. Drove to a tire shop to add air so I could make it home and plug it. As soon as I filled the tire, the pressure warning went away. Got home, removed the wheel, plugged the hole, and re-installed the wheel.

I never had to reset the system, and the warning went away on its own.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 03:59 AM   #9
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

I just had a similar issue in Florida. So I doubt it had anything to do with the weather. It's definitely not getting cooler here. That's for sure.

I filled my tires to the correct pressure, and the warning still kept displaying for a several weeks. The thing that was odd to me was that the tire pressure wasn't really that low to begin with. Just a point or 2 lower for one or two of the tires.

I have all-seasons 19".

I have been very busy so I figured I would deal with this later. I knew the tire pressure was right, so I wasn't really worried about it.

A couple weeks ago, I finally pulled up the tire pressure status in iDrive again. There is a setting in there for summer / performance tires or winter / all season tires. For some reason, and I don't know why, my car was set to summer / performance tires. I changed it to winter all season tires, and that fixed it. The warning went away.

Weird. I'm not sure what happened. Did I do something to cause this? Did I accidentally set it wrong? Is it a glitch? Who knows?

I got my car back in March. So not sure why this suddenly became an issue in August.
      09-22-2019, 01:51 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Interessting thread...my 2013 owners manual has the instructions on how to reset the TPMS...and if you don't have the paperback version...the owners manual is also uploaded into iDrive...so you can access the instructions on how to reset the system there, too.

My manual says that anytime a tire is changed or removed...or the tire pressure is adjusted...you should reset the system (which creates a new "base") to work with. In the TPM screen, you move the iDrive controller to the 2nd icon (see left side of pics below) where it says INIT...and this will start the reset of the sensors (and should turn off the warning light).

Is it the same in your 2019/2020 model year iDrive iterations?
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-22-2019 at 02:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:33 AM   #11
AP
Major General
Rep

Still not clear to me what this base is for as it is obviously aware of what the pressures are

I could understand it if it were the tpws where it is relying on detecting the speed of the wheel via the abs sensors so in that case I get it needs a reference point.(it also assumes you have put the right pressures in as it uses that as it's reference point)

But when it know the pressures , why does it require a reset?
Is this just a hangover from tpws ?

Odd
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Still not clear to me what this base is for as it is obviously aware of what the pressures are

I could understand it if it were the tpws where it is relying on detecting the speed of the wheel via the abs sensors so in that case I get it needs a reference point.(it also assumes you have put the right pressures in as it uses that as it's reference point)

But when it know the pressures , why does it require a reset?
Is this just a hangover from tpws ?

Odd
You'd have to ask BMW engineers why they designed the system to actually have reinitialization input from the driver. But perhaps the system is not as intelligent as you're presuming...the system doesn't have AI (artificial intelligence) to actually be aware of the reason for the changes...all it knows is that the initial set parameters fell below spec...then increased again. But it does not know "why" the pressure increased.

The system only sees a loss in air pressure followed by an increase in tire pressure...but it does not know WHY there was a change. The system has no way to know that you put more air into the tire...for all it knows the increase in air pressure could be due to the normal increases that can occur from heat & rotation.

Without acknowledgement/input from the driver...the TPMS only knows that air pressure has fallen below spec to the point a warning light was illuminated. An increase in air pressure doesn't necessarily mean (to the system) that the driver put air into the tire. There are other things that can occur to make those changes as mentioned above.

See info below from the TIS webstie about some of the reset functions of the TPMS. I'm not saying the system is perfect the way it is...nor why the BMW engineers designed it that way...but I do see how the system (as designed) doesn't know why a pressure loss then a pressure increase doesn't assume that the increase was due to the driver putting air in the tire:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #13
Bill530e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Quote:

Hi JSF721,

Had the same thing happen to me, kind of a pain, but I found that driving on a short stretch of highway or freeway makes the reset from 0% - 100% somewhat faster than 20 minutes.

Kind regards,
Bill530e
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #14
AP
Major General
Rep

Thanks for explanation, makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #15
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

I was. It on the parkway the whole time and everything I stopped so did the calibration. Next time I perform the operation when o an not on a street with lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill530e View Post
Hi JSF721,

Had the same thing happen to me, kind of a pain, but I found that driving on a short stretch of highway or freeway makes the reset from 0% - 100% somewhat faster than 20 minutes.

Kind regards,
Bill530e
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #16
drmlee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F06 650i

the only time i reset it is when i swap wheels to make it relearn the new sensors.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #17
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmlee View Post
the only time i reset it is when i swap wheels to make it relearn the new sensors.
Same here, i only reset when i change to winter or summer tires. Otherwise i just pump up and drive away, no need to reset.
My car is June 2017 build.

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #18
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmlee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emre View Post
Same here, i only reset when i change to winter or summer tires. Otherwise i just pump up and drive away, no need to reset.
My car is June 2017 build.
If you're just adjusting your tire pressure and you didnt get the warning light...then skipping the reinitializing process (if that's what you want to do) is not a big issue. But I would make it clear that I'm skipping a reset when doing a simple "pump-up" sans the warning light.

If you're tire pressure also stays within spec between seasonal wheel/tire changes...this too is different from when you get a low tire pressure warning. If you do, then when you inflate the tires...you'll need to do a reset of the TPMS in iDrive to get the warning light to turn off.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-28-2019 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0