BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis 2018 M550i Tire diameter

06-14-2022, 05:33 PM   #1
jabrose
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i X-Drive

2018 M550i Tire diameter

Hello. Brand new to this forum and BMW's. I would like to go with a "meatier" tire, to look more like an M5 Competition. I have a 2018 M550i, with 20-inch wheels. I'd like wider tires, but not sure how to handle the overall diameter increase. Do I need to update the computer somehow? for mileage, speed, etc...Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 07:04 PM   #2
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrose View Post
Hello. Brand new to this forum and BMW's. I would like to go with a "meatier" tire, to look more like an M5 Competition. I have a 2018 M550i, with 20-inch wheels. I'd like wider tires, but not sure how to handle the overall diameter increase. Do I need to update the computer somehow? for mileage, speed, etc...Thanks for any help!

If you want to go with a "taller" tire aka sidewall. You can easily go up 5% on the front and back. Several people have done it to prevent wheel damages. So, for example, you can go from a 35 to a 40 without issue. A few people said that actually corrected the car speedo to match GPS speed exactly.

This is actually something I am looking to do as I've already bent one of my 668 wheels.

If you're looking to go with a wider tire, you dont need to calculate anything. The diameter will be the same as long as you stay with the stock 20" sidewall or going up 5%.
If you want M5 width you're probably looking at going aftermarket wheels to do that.
      06-15-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
jabrose
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i X-Drive

Thanks so much! When you say aftermarket wheels, do you mean dropping to 19" wheels and increase the sidewall to match the existing diameter within 105%? I am looking at that option, but struggling to find the width I'm looking for. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 12:10 PM   #4
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrose View Post
Thanks so much! When you say aftermarket wheels, do you mean dropping to 19" wheels and increase the sidewall to match the existing diameter within 105%? I am looking at that option, but struggling to find the width I'm looking for. Thanks again!
It sounds like you want to go with a wider tire. That is going to require aftermarket wheels. Do a search in this section for aftermarket wheels. Several people have upgraded, but in your case you need to make sure they clear the bigger M550 calipers. There are several options out there.

Personally I am fine with the 20" 668 wheels, but will eventually go up 5% on the sidewall so I dont end up bending them.