BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis M5 caliper retrofit upgrade

01-18-2024, 03:41 PM   #1
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

M5 caliper retrofit upgrade

A new year, a new mini project. I have a set of low mileage M5 competition front calipers on the way i plan to fit to my 2017 540ix. I found a set of calipers on ebay very cheap so im interested to see what condition they are when they arrive, only a few small scuffs and scratches from the Ebay pictures so fingers crossed!

You also need a set of adapter brackets to fit the calipers with the larger M5 395mm rotors to the G30 hubs, i have them ordered from a supplier in Europe they should arrive this week.

I'll be test fitting them once they arrive with the supplied used pads and a set of used M5 rotors from a friend. I'm hoping they clear my 19 inch aftermarket wheels or that will throw a spanner in the works!

Once test fit is a success, ill order a fresh set of rotors, pads and some Goodridge braided lines

For the rear, i plan on X3M/X4M calipers and 370mm rotors, all of which should bolt on.

Ill update once i have them fitted up properly with no issues. I can share more specifics once installed for anyone interested in a similar setup
      01-18-2024, 10:28 PM   #2
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

That is a nice upgrade I suppose. Not sure how much better it will be over the blue calipers.y concern with such mods is serviceability. Unless you are changing pads and rotors every time, it will be an issue of you go to the dealer or any shop as it's now got a Frankenstein setup. Ove done such upgrades on past cars knowing I cannot take the car anywhere for brake work.
      01-19-2024, 04:47 AM   #3
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_M550i View Post
That is a nice upgrade I suppose. Not sure how much better it will be over the blue calipers.y concern with such mods is serviceability. Unless you are changing pads and rotors every time, it will be an issue of you go to the dealer or any shop as it's now got a Frankenstein setup. Ove done such upgrades on past cars knowing I cannot take the car anywhere for brake work.
The blue calipers on mine are the 4 pot Brembo with 374mm rotors, the M5 ones are 6 pot Brembo with 395mm rotors and then the rear upgrade be be a nice bump in size too. i know a few guys that went to this setup and said its a very noticeable improvement over the stock setup.

I also don't bother leaving my car in anywhere to get pads/rotors changed thats easy DIY work i can do at home
      01-20-2024, 01:41 PM   #4
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Front caliper adapter brackets arrived yesterday, expensive chunks of metal for what they are!

Last edited by buddyboy; 01-20-2024 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2024, 09:03 PM   #5
M550bernina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Front caliper adapter brackets arrived yesterday, expensive chunks of metal for what they are!

I'm looking to do the same. Buy the M5 6pot calipers for the front. I'm going to buy new SHW rotors and ISweep 1500 pads. Need to get the same bracket kit as you.

Keep the updates coming!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 06:22 AM   #6
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M550bernina View Post
I'm looking to do the same. Buy the M5 6pot calipers for the front. I'm going to buy new SHW rotors and ISweep 1500 pads. Need to get the same bracket kit as you.

Keep the updates coming!
Ill be doing the same with SHW rotors once i test fit everything with the used ones my friend will give me, and it clears my 19 inch rims. I might go with EBC Redstuff pads for daily as they are easier for me to get. I dont really see any iSweep suppliers in Europe
      01-23-2024, 01:46 PM   #7
BMW3DK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 / 540 G30

nice upgrade!

From who did you get the adapters?

greetings from Europe

/chris

Quote:

Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 04:19 PM   #8
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3DK View Post
nice upgrade!

From who did you get the adapters?

greetings from Europe

/chris
There is a company in Latvia that make them.

https://tro-nik.com/product/bmw-g30-...90-all-brakes/
      01-23-2024, 06:20 PM   #9
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I guess I’m getting old bc this no longer looks like fun to me .

Enjoy and let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 08:24 AM   #10
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
There are similar discussions regarding brake upgrades in Porsche forums. While larger rotors and calipers certainly look better (as in the case of the M5 caliper/rotor above), the weakest link seems to be a tire's grip to the road surface. Supposedly, this is a factor when a manufacturer designs the brake systems for specific vehicles. Nevertheless, your proposed upgrade looks great.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 03:11 PM   #11
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
There are similar discussions regarding brake upgrades in Porsche forums. While larger rotors and calipers certainly look better (as in the case of the M5 caliper/rotor above), the weakest link seems to be a tire's grip to the road surface. Supposedly, this is a factor when a manufacturer designs the brake systems for specific vehicles. Nevertheless, your proposed upgrade looks great.
I agree, good tires are also a key component to stopping well and the wheel setup i have is probably better than most might consider, im looking into another set which allows for a wider contact patch front and rear in the near future.

My 540i has M5 power so it makes sense to at least give it M5 braking performance.

The next part of the puzzle arrived today, some freshly made braided brake lines:

It seems like my calipers are stuck in the US somewhere due to the bad weather. hopefully they arrive next week

Last edited by buddyboy; 01-26-2024 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 10:04 AM   #12
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

You may also wish to have the abs and stability control coded as the M5 brakes will likely lock up much sooner.
Appreciate 1
buddyboy265.00
      01-30-2024, 02:11 PM   #13
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_8 View Post
You may also wish to have the abs and stability control coded as the M5 brakes will likely lock up much sooner.
Yep thats the plan, from what ive researched you can code Mperformance brake setup to help with the bigger calipers and rotors

Tracking shows the calipers arriving tomorrow but i wont hold my breath, one still showing as in the US and one in Paris!
      02-10-2024, 02:52 PM   #14
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

The calipers arrived during the week, for what they cost me they are in really good condition, a few small stone chips and scuffs but apart from that they seem like they came off a low mileage car, even more than 50% left on the brake pads!

I tested fitted one during the week on one side, just the caliper and adapter bracket to test wheel fitment, its close, but they clear my 19 inch wheels!

I've ordered new SHW rotors, Endless MX72 brake pads and various new bolts and dust shields to renew everything important. I'm looking forward to getting these fitted, and then move onto the rear upgrade
      02-10-2024, 07:36 PM   #15
M550bernina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550

Quote:
The calipers arrived during the week, for what they cost me they are in really good condition, a few small stone chips and scuffs but apart from that they seem like they came off a low mileage car, even more than 50% left on the brake pads!

I tested fitted one during the week on one side, just the caliper and adapter bracket to test wheel fitment, its close, but they clear my 19 inch wheels!

I've ordered new SHW rotors, Endless MX72 brake pads and various new bolts and dust shields to renew everything important. I'm looking forward to getting these fitted, and then move onto the rear upgrade
Did you get rear calipers as well?

Or red in front, blue in back?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 09:21 AM   #16
Jodway
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i, B9 Audi SQ5, W211 MB

Is it just me, or is the caliper sitting further out (closer to the wheel) on one end versus the other? The top end looks WAYYYY closer than the bottom. I'm extremely interested in doing this retrofit when it's time for new brakes, but I may go the knuckle swap route rather than adapter brackets if they sit crooked using the brackets

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 02:03 PM   #17
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M550bernina View Post
Did you get rear calipers as well?

Or red in front, blue in back?

I haven't got the rears yet, but when upgrade the rear ill paint them red to match the fronts, if i can only find blue ones. It seems like X3M/X4M rear calipers are bolt on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodway View Post
Is it just me, or is the caliper sitting further out (closer to the wheel) on one end versus the other? The top end looks WAYYYY closer than the bottom. I'm extremely interested in doing this retrofit when it's time for new brakes, but I may go the knuckle swap route rather than adapter brackets if they sit crooked using the brackets

I'd say its just the lighting maybe, i had a torch shining from behind, flash on the camera and wheel was slightly turned outwards, trying to get a good picture of the clearances

The adapter brackets have threaded holes so there is no room to misalign the calipers onto them

Last edited by buddyboy; 02-13-2024 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 11:02 AM   #18
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Everything fitted up over the weekend, no issues with clearance. I just need to bed in the pads and go for a good mountain run to test them out fully. I still need to figure out the coding vis eSys i hear being mentioned:

Last edited by buddyboy; 02-19-2024 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0