BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Catless Smell, but not the normal catless smell...

04-04-2024, 12:12 PM   #1
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Catless Smell, but not the normal catless smell...

Hopefully some catless DP guys can chime in here because I am experiencing something unusual with my 540. I am used to catless cars, I have a catless N54 135, had a catless n55 x1, and this car stinks significantly more than either. At first I wrote it off as a B58 thing, but I've been noticing that even if I keep my windows all up I can heavily smell fuel/exhaust from in the cabin once I turn on heat. If I don't turn on heat but keep the windows up there is no smell at all. Does indicate that I have a leak somewhere along the exhaust system, or is the B58 REALLY stinky even for someone used to catless? My 135 I don't even smell at all in comparison.

If this is indicative of an exhaust leak, I was thinking of getting a smoke machine they use to test them for around $80 and plugging one muffler with a rag and taping it, then blasting smoke into the tailpipe and looking under the car and the engine bay for any signs of smoke leakage. Is this a reasonable plan? My only concern is blasting anything UP the exhaust, I can't see that being harmful with the car off, but I wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking anything wrong with doing that.

Any insight would be helpful, I know its semi subjective as some people would say my 135 stinks, but in comparison this is MUCH stinkier inside and out, to the point where it doesn't seem normal to me. Used a new exhaust gasket when the catless DP was installed as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 03:41 PM   #2
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have to assume I have a leak somewhere. I’ve been driving the 135 and it doesn’t smell nearly as bad. I don’t see why a b58 would stink magnitudes more than an n54.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 01:52 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

if you smell it inside the cabin with the windows up, then you have a leak. recheck the install and let us know how it goes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
darkrom188.00