BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding awesome sound upgrade for only $400

11-18-2023, 03:09 PM   #1
SoundHound75
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

awesome sound upgrade for only $400

After installing my two Earthquake SWS-8Xi woofers and an ESX QM500.4 amplifier, I was quite disappointed with the sound. While the bass was deeper and louder, the overall sound image didn't seem right. You can find the installation details in another post.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30653597

Seeking to resolve this poor sound quality, I first downloaded an iOS app called Tone Gen, which allowed me to generate every tone via Bluetooth. It quickly became apparent that tones around 50-70 Hz sounded much louder than other frequencies, while those around 120Hz were very weak. This is understandable since cars with professional HiFi systems like Harman Kardon have a pre-programmed DSP tuned to the speakers originally installed by BMW. Changing speakers means these settings no longer match, and the built-in 7-band equalizer offers limited scope for tuning to new speakers.

I considered purchasing a DSP with an amplifier. The Match UP 10 from Audiotec-Fischer seemed the best choice, but along with a BMW cable, this would cost me around $1300! So, I thought about a cheaper solution. What if I had a good equalizer in my Spotify, that might solve my problems! Unfortunately, Spotify's 6-band equalizer was insufficient for proper tuning.
I looked for a Spotify EQ plugin, which used to exist, but Spotify has prohibited third-party apps from modifying sound since 2022.

Eventually, I discovered an app called Boom: Bass Booster & Equalizer, which offers a 16-band EQ between 40Hz and 12kHz or 16 bands between 32Hz and 20kHz – exactly what I needed. After installing the app and adjusting the equalizer to my satisfaction, the sound quality noticeably improved. By amplifying or suppressing the frequencies identified with the tone generator, I achieved a much more natural sound. Within about five minutes of tuning, I was delighted with the sound and the modest investment in my BMW for a much more impressive audio experience. For less than a $400 upgrade, I got a much fuller and deeper sound.

The only downside is that Spotify no longer works with third-party apps, so I canceled my subscription and switched to Tidal, which works perfectly with the app. Boom also has settings that alter the spatial quality, enhancing the sound even further. Is this as good as a $1300 DSP? Not quite, as a DSP has amplifiers that deliver more power to all speakers and offers a 31-channel EQ, among other features that an app can't provide. But is a slightly better sound worth an additional $1300 and a longer installation time? Not for me.

As a final upgrade, I'm considering changing my front door speakers to Audison Prima Component speakers. For an additional $250, the sound can maybe improved further, with the new speakers connecting to the two free channels on my new amplifier.

I hope this post provides some insight into how significantly better sound can be achieved relatively inexpensively!

Take care !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 12:30 PM   #2
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

I'm glad to see that you worked this one out!!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 07:41 AM   #3
Luke G31
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530xD G31

You inspired me to tune my audio as well, I downloaded the apps etc., but I got stuck on the first step, I have no idea what to look for when playing various frequencies, hence no idea how to setup the eq to equalize them :-D
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2023, 04:04 PM   #4
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550I X Drive

Many including me have used a "MiniDSP C" 8X12 (350.00) new to integrate the bass properly into a system then you need a miniDSP UMIK-1 Calibrated Measurement Microphone (100.00) then free software Rune and a laptop.
A little U-Tube and it's just like the pro's.
Appreciate 0