BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions How Do I Tuen Off Fake Engine Sound?

01-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #1
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550, '00 750, '97 540,..

How Do I Tuen Off Fake Engine Sound?

Howdy everyone.

I know I've seen this but my search has been fruitless.

I bought an M550 a couple weeks ago and have been looking for the menu item to turn off the fake engine sounds - - - but haven't found it. Can someone please clue me in? They're not offensive, I just want to hear it au natural for a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
NNJCarGuy
BMW for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokratur View Post
Howdy everyone.

I know I've seen this but my search has been fruitless.

I bought an M550 a couple weeks ago and have been looking for the menu item to turn off the fake engine sounds - - - but haven't found it. Can someone please clue me in? They're not offensive, I just want to hear it au natural for a while.
Hi. I'm pretty sure it's not something you can deactivate. I do think however if you code your car that you'll be able to turn it off from what I have heard. I ordered the Carlie system and I think I read that it's an option that I can deactivate when custom coding my car.

I'm sure someone else can chime in here with more experience. I just picked my 18 M550 up not long ago as well.
2000 540i 6 speed, 2006 X5 4.8, 2009 335 Convertible
2011 X5 50i, 2000 K1200RS - All gone
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
MLIFEM550
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550XI

Fast forward to 11:45
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I think it is sad that BMW makes you use an app to stop fake sound from being produced! Have we gone that far from the Ultimate Driving Machine to the Ultimate Sounding Machine.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 02:24 PM   #5
MLIFEM550
Private
Rep

I agree it's the stupidest thing ever and who ever came up with That idea I don't know what were they thinking
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #6
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550, '00 750, '97 540,..

Thanks

That video was very helpful.
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLIFEM550 View Post
I agree it's the stupidest thing ever and who ever came up with That idea I don't know what were they thinking
BMW cars are made for the EU first then adapted to our market. As a result, the feature came about as a way for BMW to respond to EU regulations on car noise as pollution. Since the EU requires cars to be quiet outside to reduce noise pollution. BMW, and others, have had to come up with ways to keep car buyers happy so they give you fake engine sounds to try and deliver something.

It wasn't built for nothing.

https://jalopnik.com/european-noise-...ker-1836817816
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
      01-24-2021, 10:59 PM   #8
MLIFEM550
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:
BMW cars are made for the EU first then adapted to our market. As a result, the feature came about as a way for BMW to respond to EU regulations on car noise as pollution. Since the EU requires cars to be quiet outside to reduce noise pollution. BMW, and others, have had to come up with ways to keep car buyers happy so they give you fake engine sounds to try and deliver something.

Yes I do understand there's a reason behind what they do but I would rather have a Quiet sounding vehicle vs fake exhaust coming from my speakers... still after all it's fake
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 06:43 AM   #9
handinpalm
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i

I bought a BMW so it would be quieter inside the cabin. They must make this the default sound to cover up the extra loud fan noise from the ventilated seats. I programmed this BS engine sound off in Bimmercode. Now the ventilated seats drive me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 06:58 AM   #10
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by handinpalm View Post
I bought a BMW so it would be quieter inside the cabin. They must make this the default sound to cover up the extra loud fan noise from the ventilated seats. I programmed this BS engine sound off in Bimmercode. Now the ventilated seats drive me nuts.
Turn them off? Or, do as I do....turn up Jerry Jeff Walker and roll!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #11
handinpalm
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Turn them off? Or, do as I do....turn up Jerry Jeff Walker and roll!
Roger that!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #12
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

Does your car have a menu for engine sound? I can select sporty depending on mode, balanced or quiet.

Alternatively, you can code it as mentioned above if you want it completely off.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:43 AM   #13
BMWKLG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:

I couldn't have put this better myself. This is a refined vehicle and it was made for the EU. I don't think there is anything wrong with the simulated sound especially since the car has a beautiful exhaust note anyway that others when we pass by them or start our vehicle. . It's about the feeling you get when you hear it, thus piping the sound into the cabin is a way to generate excitement. It doesn't sound "ricy" or "over the top" to me and most of us code anyway so it's not a big challenge to disable active sound.

I got my M550i a week ago and have yet to use sports mode but I'm driving today so I'll give it a go!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:55 AM   #14
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKLG View Post
I got my M550i a week ago and have yet to use sports mode...
      01-31-2021, 02:17 PM   #15
MLIFEM550
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKLG View Post
Quote:

I couldn't have put this better myself. This is a refined vehicle and it was made for the EU. I don't think there is anything wrong with the simulated sound especially since the car has a beautiful exhaust note anyway that others when we pass by them or start our vehicle. . It's about the feeling you get when you hear it, thus piping the sound into the cabin is a way to generate excitement. It doesn't sound "ricy" or "over the top" to me and most of us code anyway so it's not a big challenge to disable active sound.

I got my M550i a week ago and have yet to use sports mode but I'm driving today so I'll give it a go!
I'm always in S mode
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #16
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2021 M550i (soon)

Sport mode is life. That being said, now that I have resonators deleted, I go comfort when I need to quiet those crackles and pops. I'll also go eco if I'm cruising down the highway for a longer trip, letting the car drive itself.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 10:33 PM   #17
BMWKLG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
🤣🤣 I really don't need it. It's super quick in comfort mode. Hell, it's quick in ECO mode too! However, I did let it go crazy on Sports+ on Sunday. Talk about a beast! There was a lady in an AMG E 53 who couldn't touch me!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 06:09 PM   #18
AF
car nut
Rep
Drives: M550i xdrive

Quote:

Fast forward to 11:45
Cool video, thanks for posting it. I am not familiar with the product he is referring to, I went to Bimmercode and there are quite a few choices, does anyone have a link to the product he is using or maybe a link that gives more information on it.

TIA !!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 08:25 PM   #19
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

The guy literally tells you what program he is using and he's holding up the damn dongle. I hate to say this at the risk of sounding like a total ahole, but what other information are you looking for?

Bimmercode.app and OBDLink.

I would strongly suggest against you coding your car though seeing how you couldn't figure that out. Either you didn't watch the video and you want people to serve you the information on a silver platter or your technological know-how is limited and you probably shouldn't be screwing with that to begin with.

Also, there is a sub-forum completely dedicated to coding with tons of very informative information.

Good luck. 👍
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #20
AF
car nut
Rep
Drives: M550i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsb007 View Post
The guy literally tells you what program he is using and he's holding up the damn dongle. I hate to say this at the risk of sounding like a total ahole, but what other information are you looking for?

I would strongly suggest against you coding your car though seeing how you couldn't figure that out. Either you didn't watch the video and you want people to serve you the information on a silver platter or your technological know-how is limited and you probably shouldn't be screwing with that to begin with.

Also, there is a sub-forum completely dedicated to coding with tons of very informative information.

Good luck. ��

There are so many nicer ways for you to put this ... if it were me I'd say Hey AF I don't know if you realize it but the guy in the video clip is holding the exact model ... I would have felt like a complete dummy and been like 'Hey thanks ... my bad, can't believe I missed that'.

When responding originally I just quoted the original post and had started watching the 11:45 part and after as suggested in the original post of the video when the Youtuber was showing the differences in the sound and saw the title 'Bimmercode' and googled it. Yes I missed the obvious answer, it was right there on this thread.

Anyway in the end you did answer the question so I do appreciate that.

Coding to me would be completely new but something I could learn though not sure it is necessary at this time.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 06:48 PM   #21
Cabbage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Don't worry guys! I found the answer that requires NO CODING!!

For non-M cars/M Performance cars (Skip to 4:40):

For M cars (Skip to 8:40)
      02-22-2021, 07:06 PM   #22
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsb007 View Post

Good luck. ��

There are so many nicer ways for you to put this ... if it were me I'd say Hey AF I don't know if you realize it but the guy in the video clip is holding the exact model ... I would have felt like a complete dummy and been like 'Hey thanks ... my bad, can't believe I missed that'.

When responding originally I just quoted the original post and had started watching the 11:45 part and after as suggested in the original post of the video when the Youtuber was showing the differences in the sound and saw the title 'Bimmercode' and googled it. Yes I missed the obvious answer, it was right there on this thread.

Anyway in the end you did answer the question so I do appreciate that.

Coding to me would be completely new but something I could learn though not sure it is necessary at this time.
Probably could have been more diplomatic about it, however from my perspective, you're asking us to take time to help you with a fairly technical issue but you couldn't spend the 15 minutes to educate yourself on this issue and simply watch the video which is the answer to your question...

Glad you figured it out in the end.
Appreciate 0