BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Potential 540i Purchase

08-08-2022, 08:09 PM   #133
MCL_24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I get it. Honestly, if it's the carrier/base click in and out set up from Chicco, I really doubt it will hurt anything. In a year or two when you upgrade, you will want a seat protector though.
Agreed, this is just the infant car seat so will probably have it for about a year.. i think. Guess i'll find out as we go. Once we get into the next car seat though and the little guy is a bit bigger... i'll want the seat protector probably more for him dropping things that could cause crumbs, etc. So i'll have to research which brand allows it.
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      08-09-2022, 02:24 AM   #134
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL_24 View Post
Quote:
I get it. Honestly, if it's the carrier/base click in and out set up from Chicco, I really doubt it will hurt anything. In a year or two when you upgrade, you will want a seat protector though.
Agreed, this is just the infant car seat so will probably have it for about a year.. i think. Guess i'll find out as we go. Once we get into the next car seat though and the little guy is a bit bigger... i'll want the seat protector probably more for him dropping things that could cause crumbs, etc. So i'll have to research which brand allows it.
Just hold the baby in the front seat. That's what my mother did and I turned out ok😜.

JOKING!! It is amazing what stupid stuff we did in cars not that long ago.
NGT25617.50
MCL_2476.00
      08-09-2022, 07:10 AM   #135
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
I agree - I mean yes NJ doesn’t have the best roads. And it doesn’t mean someone is beating on the car if they had bad luck with a nail or pothole. Just makes me concerned about the suspension and steering components
5 pages already but let me add this... (edit) 7 pages.

Back in March of 2021 we started looking at CPO 540s. We drove to northern NJ to look at one and it had 4 different brands of run-flats on it.

Granted, it probably hadn't been through the reconditioning process but it threw a HUGE red flag for me, no matter the price. Plus, it has holes drilled in the front bumper for that front license plate. Being in PA, we don't need a front plate. It was easy to walk from that car.

We ended up ordering a new 2022 and never looked back.

Last edited by G30 B58; 08-09-2022 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      08-18-2022, 12:56 PM   #136
MCL_24
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Quote:
Understood - I typically use the 'less is more' approach so I definitely wouldn't dump a bunch of water on it. Good to know the sensitive components are sealed. I went into the garage to test a few settings this morning and I honestly think my park assist button is 'clicking' appropriately now and doesn't appear to be sticking at all. Just took a few times pressing it over the past couple of days.

The problem area really seems to be the 1-7 preset number buttons under the CD drive. I believe this is all 1 panel, but i'm not sure if the whole panel is supposed to click in when you press 1 of the buttons. For instance, if i click '1', is the right side of the panel where '7' is also supposed to suppress? Right now mine feels like it's being held up a bit and I don't get a solid 'click' on each button. Mostly 1 and 7 are the worst, which makes sense given they're on the ends.

Since this is right in the middle of the dashboard i'm extra hesitant to spray water but again if i go very light it probably won't be an issue. I'm super tempted to try and pop this piece of trim off (since it looks independent from the rest of the dashboard) to look and clean behind it... but i don't have confidence in doing that just yet.
Those buttons are part of the climate control panel. From the CD slot down to the heated seat buttons is all one piece. It pops out pretty easy with some vinyl tools. No screws.

A lot of us have upgraded that panel to the touch control panel where the buttons are not mechanical. We did not do it because of any functional limitations with the one you have, just for looks.

You're being too cautious with cleaning them. Spray something on 1-7 and push the buttons like you are at an arcade, wipe off and hopefully whatever is sticking them together is dissolved.

Remember, you have a warranty.
Our baby boy arrived last Thursday night so we've been pretty busy. Had a chance today to go outside and use distilled water on the buttons. It worked! Pretty effortlessly too…

Love knowing I can pretty safely do this in case they stick slightly again in a day or 2 and I have to repeat.

Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 1
Mandingo93498.50
      08-18-2022, 02:51 PM   #137
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Understood - I typically use the 'less is more' approach so I definitely wouldn't dump a bunch of water on it. Good to know the sensitive components are sealed. I went into the garage to test a few settings this morning and I honestly think my park assist button is 'clicking' appropriately now and doesn't appear to be sticking at all. Just took a few times pressing it over the past couple of days.

The problem area really seems to be the 1-7 preset number buttons under the CD drive. I believe this is all 1 panel, but i'm not sure if the whole panel is supposed to click in when you press 1 of the buttons. For instance, if i click '1', is the right side of the panel where '7' is also supposed to suppress? Right now mine feels like it's being held up a bit and I don't get a solid 'click' on each button. Mostly 1 and 7 are the worst, which makes sense given they're on the ends.

Since this is right in the middle of the dashboard i'm extra hesitant to spray water but again if i go very light it probably won't be an issue. I'm super tempted to try and pop this piece of trim off (since it looks independent from the rest of the dashboard) to look and clean behind it... but i don't have confidence in doing that just yet.
Those buttons are part of the climate control panel. From the CD slot down to the heated seat buttons is all one piece. It pops out pretty easy with some vinyl tools. No screws.

A lot of us have upgraded that panel to the touch control panel where the buttons are not mechanical. We did not do it because of any functional limitations with the one you have, just for looks.

You're being too cautious with cleaning them. Spray something on 1-7 and push the buttons like you are at an arcade, wipe off and hopefully whatever is sticking them together is dissolved.

Our baby boy arrived last Thursday night so we've been pretty busy. Had a chance today to go outside and use distilled water on the buttons. It worked! Pretty effortlessly too…

Love knowing I can pretty safely do this in case they stick slightly again in a day or 2 and I have to repeat.

Thanks for the advice!
Congrats on the new addition! Enjoy this special time.
NGT25617.50
MCL_2476.00
      08-18-2022, 03:51 PM   #138
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the advice!
Congrats! I'll be in the same shoes in about two months

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
Mandingo93498.50
      08-18-2022, 04:41 PM   #139
MCL_24
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the advice!
That's awesome! Is it your first? We are new parents and learning every day but it has been awesome so far. Not getting much sleep but otherwise everything has been great.

One other question for you guys… I've never used a clay bar. Used to be kinda intimidated by the idea but I 'think' there are some that are easy to use (and don't have a high risk of messing up the clear coat/paint). Is that true? Curious if you guys have any recommendations on something to be used on some very very small spots of what look like a little road grime that is kinda stuck on.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 05:37 PM   #140
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the advice!
That's awesome! Is it your first? We are new parents and learning every day but it has been awesome so far. Not getting much sleep but otherwise everything has been great.

One other question for you guys… I've never used a clay bar. Used to be kinda intimidated by the idea but I 'think' there are some that are easy to use (and don't have a high risk of messing up the clear coat/paint). Is that true? Curious if you guys have any recommendations on something to be used on some very very small spots of what look like a little road grime that is kinda stuck on.
This will be number two for us. You're in for a really fun 4-5 years. Little kids are wild but they're awesome. I'm glad I get to do it again. My first kid is 5 and a half. I did the math and in about 12 years I will have one kid graduating high school and another entering middle school!

I've never used a clay bar. I've read you need to know what you're doing. They did it before they applied my ceramic. Even if you don't want to pay for ceramic, you can probably find a good detailer that will clay bar, wash, and wax your car for a couple hundred bucks. Let them knock out the first one, then you're just maintaining. But I'm sure you can figure it out watching YouTube videos if you really want to.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 06:02 PM   #141
Mandingo9
Meat Man
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550

Garage List
  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the advice!
Congrats!
      08-18-2022, 06:06 PM   #142
Mandingo9
Meat Man
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550

Garage List
  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the advice!

So long as you wash the car throughly, keep the clay bar clean (by kneading it) and panels well lubricated, a monkey could do it. If you drop it on the floor gently pick it up and pick out any debris and knead. If it hasn't been done you'll notice an immediate increase in gloss. I haven't clayed a car in a long time but used whatever was in the local shoes like meguiars. To my dated knowledge all clay is made the same. clay is second on my list if a chemical solution didn't work to remove the containment.
      08-18-2022, 08:07 PM   #143
MCL_24
Private
United_States
Rep

Good call - I prob don't need to dive into the deep end with a clay bar. I'm sure I can get some bug and tar remover. That's what I used to call it back in high school at least lol - I'll search around and see what's available. I tried a little dish soap and warm water today but prob need something a little more
Appreciate 1
Mandingo93498.50