BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis G**damned pot got me real good.

04-14-2024, 12:50 PM   #1
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

G**damned pot got me real good.

I hit a pot hole on the left side of my 2018 540i xDrive, today, and now I have bad vibrations. I pulled all the wheels to see what I could see. The problematic issue appears to be isolated to the front left corner, which is what took the majority of the force. There is grease slung all over. On superficial inspection, it appears that the culprit is most likely the lower control arm ball joint but may also be the outer CV joint.

Anyone have an idea of how much a full inspection of the suspension would be, plus the cost of replacing the lower control arm outer ball joint?

Also curious how much would be to replace the left front axle? I see the axle shaft itself is in the $1200 - $1600 range. That SUCKS!

On the plus side, my wheels initially appear to have taken the hit like a champ!!! That's great news, and real world testament to the quality of the quality of the wheel set, since they are a Chinese set that claimed to be forged. I'm guessing, assuming indeed there is no damage, they have to be forged are have great resiliency. I'm going to add that to my review of them, for sure. ...whenever I get around to writing that. Edit: Just kidding. Took another look at the front wheel and it has a dent in it on the inside edge. You can actually kinda see it in that pic. Still, for the force it took, I'm impressed. Hopefully it can be massaged back in shape and none the other wheels are damaged.

Last edited by tjbuggy2b; 04-15-2024 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 12:13 PM   #2
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Edit: Just kidding. Took another look at the front wheel and it has a dent in it on the inside edge. You can actually kinda see it in that pic. Still, for the force it took, I'm impressed. Hopefully it can be massaged back in shape and none the other wheels are damaged.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 10:03 PM   #3
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i

With this much grease, I think it got to be from the axle & vibration is from your bent wheel. Have you examined the axle boot more closely?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 10:05 PM   #4
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It's in the shop. Should know more tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 02:56 PM   #5
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, on the plus side, the shop thinks the axle is ok and just needs the boot replaced. I'm skeptical but we'll see. Also, they're cutting me a deal on having my MSS springs and Bilstein B8 struts installed, since they have it apart anyway.

On the minus side, the wheel shop doesn't think the wheel is fixable. The insurance guy didn't realize I have custom wheels with custom paint ordered from overseas. I need to have a convo about that with him that I'm sure will be less than a good time. I told the wheel shop to have a go at fixing the wheel, anyway. Worst thing that happens is they ruin it and I'm back where I started in the first place, having to figure out the best way to get the wheel replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 12:43 PM   #6
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i

I have a hard time understanding how hitting pothole can damage the boot but you definitely are not alone. I know another person had the same thing happened. The axle, itself, can take a lot more than that. As long as the shop did a proper test drive, no noise coming from the axle, boot replacement should be adequate.

Have fun dealing with insurance! Hope they get everything sorted out for you soon!
Appreciate 1
tjbuggy2b185.50
      04-18-2024, 12:48 PM   #7
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I'm of the same confusion. lol. They said they often see bent control arms and blown shocks from potholes, too. Crazy IMO that a pothole can bent a control arm. I also find it unreal that a pothole can damage a CV joint. Just seems like all of the force should be into the suspension, not the driveline.
Appreciate 0