E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > New Wheels / Almost final build. Approve?

01-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 N54 E92

New Wheels / Almost final build. Approve?

Ok, So i just got my new wheels on today. Almost done with my build, might leave it at is for awhile.

Approve?

Also my submission for dip of the month on DYC :P

Last edited by 335iNavyGuy; 01-17-2014 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

I've been waiting to see these mounted.
Still need to remove that tint on the tails.
You need a decent drop all around.
Black front splitter to pull it all together.
I think the dip and wheels work well together, there's just some tweaking that needs to be done. (IMO)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMerrisK View Post
I've been waiting to see these mounted.
Still need to remove that tint on the tails.
You need a decent drop all around.
Black front splitter to pull it all together.
I think the dip and wheels work well together, there's just some tweaking that needs to be done. (IMO)
Fair enough, I will NOT be dropping it. This is a daily driver and with these roads, that would be bumper suicide if i dropped it anymore than it is.

The splitter i was still considering, getting that and a bolt on the the side skirts too, maybe CF.

And the taillights, I like them so they stay. But thanks for the opinions
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Mutagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I would trash the tails but overall it looks good.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

I like the wheels! They compliment the color nicely. Also, the car looks plenty low to me already.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormE91 View Post
I like the wheels! They compliment the color nicely. Also, the car looks plenty low to me already.
Thanks, and i think soo too on the lowering, those cars where the wheels are tucked into the fenders. idk why i just think it looks cheap. This is supposed to be a sport car, if you drop it too low you can go track or run around corners, you'll just destroy your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

That's nice. I agree with the other posters about the tail lights, but you like them and that's what matters most.
      01-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

sweet ride and color

01-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iNavyGuy View Post
Thanks, and i think soo too on the lowering, those cars where the wheels are tucked into the fenders. idk why i just think it looks cheap. This is supposed to be a sport car, if you drop it too low you can go track or run around corners, you'll just destroy your car.
Oh no, please don't be that guy. There are tons of actual race cars that are pretty low. If you're not a fan of the LOOK of a lowered car then say that. But please don't use the "our roads are bad" or "it's a sports car" excuses. Honestly, to be a sports car that's truly track functional they would need to come lowered at least an inch in the rear and 2 in the front from the factory. Along with more negative camber front and rear and a squared wheel/tire setup for optimal handling on a race track.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I just hate that excuse because it's flat out wrong. With all of that being said I like what you have done with it and it's your car at the end of the day. That's why I said "IMO" at the end of my suggestions because they were just that, my opinion. Enjoy, I can't wait to see what else you do with her.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh no, please don't be that guy. There are tons of actual race cars that are pretty low. If you're not a fan of the LOOK of a lowered car then say that. But please don't use the "our roads are bad" or "it's a sports car" excuses. Honestly, to be a sports car that's truly track functional they would need to come lowered at least an inch in the rear and 2 in the front from the factory. Along with more negative camber front and rear and a squared wheel/tire setup for optimal handling on a race track.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I just hate that excuse because it's flat out wrong. With all of that being said I like what you have done with it and it's your car at the end of the day. That's why I said "IMO" at the end of my suggestions because they were just that, my opinion. Enjoy and I can't wait to see what else you do with her.
Do you drive a race car? Is that what your 335i is? Mine is a daily driver, and sometimes i like to go down curvy roads, and have some fun. If my car was slammed like the ones im referring too, or even 2 inches lower, i couldnt do that.

and its not an excuse, if you are an idiot and like to destroy your car because you think it looks "cool" Do what you have to do. I've spent a lot of money on my bumper and i like to take care of my car.

Anyone near san diego KNOWS you cant slam a car and just get around here. Its not happening, So drop the lame crap about "excuse" Its fact
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #11
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you drive a race car? Is that what your 335i is? Mine is a daily driver, and sometimes i like to go down curvy roads, and have some fun. If my car was slammed like the ones im referring too, or even 2 inches lower, i couldnt do that.

and its not an excuse, if you are an idiot and like to destroy your car because you think it looks "cool" Do what you have to do. I've spent a lot of money on my bumper and i like to take care of my car.

Anyone near san diego KNOWS you cant slam a car and just get around here. Its not happening, So drop the lame crap about "excuse" Its fact
I'm beginning to see why other members flame you bro. You truly cannot take criticism, whether it's constructive or not. Then you result to trying to insult people. I would debate with you but I honestly don't have time. I've paid you and your car nothing but compliments and the 1 thing we disagree on you want to insult me over. Lol. Oh well, enjoy your car and have a nice day. Just remember you're the one that asked for opinions with your "Approve" title.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #12
matraks
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive e92

Don't drop your car. Is' perfect now. Only what I don't like are blacked taillights. Everythink else works perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #13
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm beginning to see why other members flame you bro. You truly cannot take criticism, whether it's constructive or not. Then you result to trying to insult people. I would debate with you but I honestly don't have time. I've paid you and your car nothing but compliments and the 1 thing we disagree on you want to insult me over. Lol. Oh well, enjoy your car and have a nice day. Just remember you're the one that asked for opinions with your "Approve" title.

Criticism about my car is one thing, saying that "bad roads" are an excuse to not lower a car? lol Really? That is the argument ? They say i should lower it i respond with roads are too bad and i like the look now, they say the taillights are too dark, i say thanks for the advice but i like them..

How is that being bad at taking "criticism" ?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #14
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I just hate that excuse because it's flat out wrong. With all of that being said I like what you have done with it and it's your car at the end of the day. That's why I said "IMO" at the end of my suggestions because they were just that, my opinion. Enjoy, I can't wait to see what else you do with her.
I'd say the car below is "track ready" from the factory, agreed? And the wheels still have plenty of travel, not sunken away into the fenders. The fact is, cars that are designed to ride on public roads are completely different than cars that are designed to race on a track. And somewhere in between you'll find cars like the Ferrari 458 Italia here, whose suspension is setup to attempt to accommodate both. Even Ferrari realized that problem here and includes a suspension that can electronically adjust its height to deal with road use scenarios. After all, Bob doesn't appreciate taking his Ferrari to the country club and realizing he can't traverse the speed bumps in the entry!

BMW 3-series sedans and coupes are sporty cars (not really even sports cars yet IMHO) - the majority of which will never see a track but are primarily designed for spirited drivers who will use them on the road. A fair number of M cars never see a track. But even M cars are designed to still be driven on a public road without destroying the car, and the suspension setups for road cars (no matter if it's a BMW or Ferrari) typically provide for a generous amount of wheel travel to deal with typical road obstacles (pot holes, speed bumps, inclines, etc).

I think the OP's argument is perfectly legitimate regarding bad roads. I live in the NY metro area, and good luck to you if you try to drive a heavily lowered car on many of the roads through the city or boroughs. And it's not just road conditions but also simple things like speed bumps. Some facilities have very aggressive speed bumps that'll lead you to scrape and/or bottom-out.

Lowering a car on the track is functional - helping to improve aerodynamics at very high speeds, improving handling with a lower center of gravity, etc. On the road? To a certain point, yes, the improvements (particularly in handling) may be realized - but if you're not driving your car on a track, and it's just seeing road use, many people probably make the situation worse by lowering it too far, making their lives difficult and causing damage to the car.

I'd also say that "lower" isn't even always better for handling. If the car is lowered to the point where you've nearly eliminated travel in the suspension, it can actually hurt the car's handling in many public road uses. As an example, if you hit some particularly uneven pavement in a turn, I've seen more than one heavily lowered car get fairly "upset" in the corner, almost making them dangerous at times, skipping the back-end out and such.... whereas an old lady's buick handled the situation better, having a suspension with adequate travel that kept better tire contact with the uneven pavement. I think people need to keep this in mind when modifying a suspension, in particular, that BMW has tested aspects of the car's on-road performance, handling, and safety based upon their OEM setup - not what you may do to extremely modify it afterwards.

The same can be said of tires and wheels. Yes, bigger rims with lower profile tires are designed to improve corner handling by reducing the size of the sidewall. But it gets to the point where you can turn a road car into an unusually painful experience - popping tires with every pot hole and teeth chattering out of your head on every bump.

I think BMW has done a great job, straight from the factory, at providing cars that strike a reasonable balance between "driveability" on the road while providing sporting characteristics - the extent of which results in capabilities that already far exceed what most drivers would or should ever attempt to request of the car on a public road. My personal sentiment is not to mess with what the BMW engineers have done. If you want a sporty suspension, the sport packages and M suspension setups from BMW are great - and they're even plenty functional for track days. When owners try to "improve" upon that by lowering the cars further and adding even bigger wheels, to me it seems like it's more about "show" than "go" as there's often not a functional argument for the modification (and may even be degraded handling) - just about the looks. And that's fine. If you like the way it looks, go for it. But I also wouldn't discount others' opinions here that these mods can make cars less functional, especially in daily driving scenarios, as I think it's a pretty legit point.

Name:  f458 track.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  107.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #15
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep

Also keep in mind i said "cars that are TOO low".. I didnt say all lowered cars were too low.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #16
BMWE90 ModMaster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW's

wow ezmaass wrote an essay trying to explain why the Ferrari is not lowered more from factory. I didn't even bother reading it. But to be a race car or a track car you do have to be lowered not only for aerodynamic reasons but for stability and center of gravity. Also it brings most of the weight ratio lower down to the ground. That's why M3 got rid of the sunroof with the carbon fiber roof to reduce top weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #17
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

01-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #18
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
You dont like it?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #19
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You dont like it?
I like it, looks good for a daily driver but needs more of aggressive look since that's my kind of style so i'll have to disapprove for now.
      01-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #20
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I like it, looks good for a daily driver but needs more of aggressive look since that's my kind of style so i'll have to disapprove for now.
I was thinking going with M3 side skirts, M3 Rep fenders and the kit that goes on the bottom of the side skirts (kinda like a lip).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #21
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking going with M3 side skirts, M3 Rep fenders and the kit that goes on the bottom of the side skirts (kinda like a lip).
Great choices, that will improve the look of your car alot and you mean the Carbon Fiber Side Splitters that go under the side skirts, alot of my friends have it.

Keep it up! you'll see the transformation of mines in a couple of months when I post my second anniversary photos.
      01-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #22
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Great choices, that will improve the look of your car alot and you mean the Carbon Fiber Side Splitters that go under the side skirts, alot of my friends have it.

Keep it up! you'll see the transformation of mines in a couple of months when I post my second anniversary photos.
Im going to wait a few considering the new plasti dip job i just had done :P
Appreciate 0