BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding How to check Navigation Map Version

06-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

How to check Navigation Map Version

Hi all,

I've been trying to check the version of the maps on my fathers 5 series touring but not having any success, I'm running CIC in my car so I'm not used to this new version (NBT EVO?). Can someone guide me on where to look? Its a 2018 car, I understand map updates are all conducted over the air or are USB sticks still required?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
BMW should make it more clear regarding how the navigation map is updated as I wasn't sure either when I first got my car.

In the US, the only map updates that update over the air are the regional maps and you can select your region here (it's under map update): https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ap...x.html#/portal

In the US, the entire map though needs to be downloaded and uploaded to the car via USB.

The above may be different for your father though since you're not in the US.

Pull up the navigation (the actual map) on the iDrive screen and then once you're there, press option on the iDrive controller. There should be something called software information- press that and it will give you your navigation map version (mine is 2016-4 so I need an update):
Attached Images

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 07-01-2019 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
AD18347.50
      07-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Adding to that, if you can get your bmw connected credentials and login to bmw connected( google that and you should find it)

Once in there map updates are buried a bit not positioned ideally to find and you will have the option to download them to a usb drive. Suggest you use a 64gb one to allow it to fit.
Note the download is specific to this car alone, it's not for any other cars.

Then place in the usb drive of the car and you will be prompted to update, you can do this whilst you are driving , you will still get directions. Once the download has finished the idrive will reboot.
I'm not sure if this process can be interrupted or not (probably but I've not tried) so I chose to do this On journey taking me half an hour or more to allow it to finish.

Ora updates are as previously stated just for small area updates they will not be for the whole map.
Appreciate 1
AD18347.50
      07-03-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Adding to that, if you can get your bmw connected credentials and login to bmw connected( google that and you should find it)

Once in there map updates are buried a bit not positioned ideally to find and you will have the option to download them to a usb drive. Suggest you use a 64gb one to allow it to fit.
Note the download is specific to this car alone, it's not for any other cars.

Then place in the usb drive of the car and you will be prompted to update, you can do this whilst you are driving , you will still get directions. Once the download has finished the idrive will reboot.
I'm not sure if this process can be interrupted or not (probably but I've not tried) so I chose to do this On journey taking me half an hour or more to allow it to finish.

Ora updates are as previously stated just for small area updates they will not be for the whole map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
BMW should make it more clear regarding how the navigation map is updated as I wasn't sure either when I first got my car.

In the US, the only map updates that update over the air are the regional maps and you can select your region here (it's under map update): https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ap...x.html#/portal

In the US, the entire map though needs to be downloaded and uploaded to the car via USB.

The above may be different for your father though since you're not in the US.

Pull up the navigation (the actual map) on the iDrive screen and then once you're there, press option on the iDrive controller. There should be something called software information- press that and it will give you your navigation map version (mine is 2016-4 so I need an update):
Thank you both for that, I'll give that a go, I'm pretty tech savvy but I could't figure out how to find the map version at all! On my E92 I just tilt the controller to the right and you can see version there. I agree its definitely confusing knowing quite how to update the maps. The dealer actually told my father it all gets updated OTA (now I know that's wrong!) but I've not seen anything update as of yet, it makes sense that the main map still needs a USB.
Dealer also mentioned map updates are free...however am I right in thinking they are only "free" while you have a paid connected drive membership? Once that runs out are you no longer able to update the maps without paying?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:37 PM   #5
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Thank you both for that, I'll give that a go, I'm pretty tech savvy but I could't figure out how to find the map version at all! On my E92 I just tilt the controller to the right and you can see version there. I agree its definitely confusing knowing quite how to update the maps. The dealer actually told my father it all gets updated OTA (now I know that's wrong!) but I've not seen anything update as of yet, it makes sense that the main map still needs a USB.
Dealer also mentioned map updates are free...however am I right in thinking they are only "free" while you have a paid connected drive membership? Once that runs out are you no longer able to update the maps without paying?
Correct. New BMW vehicles in the US (can't speak to other countries) come with 3 years of membership or service so once that runs out, he'll have to pay.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 11:25 PM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

In the UK free for first 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Correct. New BMW vehicles in the US (can't speak to other countries) come with 3 years of membership or service so once that runs out, he'll have to pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
In the UK free for first 3 years.
Great, thanks both.
Appreciate 0