BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Coding Help 2017 G30 (Heated Seats)

01-17-2021, 10:40 AM   #1
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

Coding Help 2017 G30 (Heated Seats)

Need help with coding guys. Willing to post if successful. I have a 2017 G30. Please PM me if interested. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:23 AM   #2
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
What exactly are you trying to change with your heated seats?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #3
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto540 View Post
Want to not have the need for the seatbelt to be clipped for the automatic feature to activate. I added a remote start and would like to activate when I turn on the car, not when I put on the seatbelt.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Wow, didn't even realize a seatbelt had to be clipped to remember the heating setting! Went out to the garage to test because I was intrigued.

I'm assuming you've already coded the memory for the setting to unlimited like in the attached photo and it didn't work.

The low tech solution would be to get something like this: https://thetikit.com
You could just plug that thing in when you leave the car so the auto function warms the seat up before you get there.

I know that's not the fix you were hoping for so hopefully someone else can swoop in with coding fix.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 06:50 PM   #5
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, didn't even realize a seatbelt had to be clipped to remember the heating setting! Went out to the garage to test because I was intrigued.

I'm assuming you've already coded the memory for the setting to unlimited like in the attached photo and it didn't work.

You could just plug that thing in when you leave the car so the auto function warms the seat up before you get there.

I know that's not the fix you were hoping for so hopefully someone else can swoop in with coding fix.
Thank you. I was thinking about doing something like that but was wondering if there is a more efficient way to do this via coding. So that people don't get confused I can turn on the heated seat manually or automatically once it gets to a temp you set in iDrive. The automatic feature will only "automatically" activate if you have your seatbelt on. I'd rather have it turn without the need to the seatbelt to be clipped. Hopefully somebody here is able to figure this out. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 06:52 PM   #6
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think the default is at 15. There was no need to change it. Plus the remote start shuts off after 15 mins so it should be all good.

Btw what did you find out from testing it?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 07:13 PM   #7
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burniksapwet View Post
I think the default is at 15. There was no need to change it. Plus the remote start shuts off after 15 mins so it should be all good.

If you are trying to warm up the seat in the morning, you may want to change it from 15 minutes to 24 hours since that setting relates to the time between start-ups.

The test was to confirm what I didn't know about the seat heating. I thought the seat heater was automatic and came on when you started the ignition. Obviously, you were right.

I did a combination of tests. All had the seat heater at level three when I turned off the ignition. The three pieces of data for each test relate to seat belt use when I turned off the ignition, when I turned the ignition on, and then if seat heater came on upon ignition.
1. Seat belt off, seat belt off, no heat
2. Seat belt off, seat belt on, heat
3. Seat belt on, seat belt off, no heat (did come on after I plugged in seat belt)
4. Seat belt on, seat belt on, heat

Test did confirm that the seat belt clip trick would work as long as you plug it in at some point before you use the auto start. (You could also plug in after ignition but then there is no point for auto start)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:27 PM   #8
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you are trying to warm up the seat in the morning, you may want to change it from 15 minutes to 24 hours since that setting relates to the time between start-ups.

The test was to confirm what I didn't know about the seat heating. I thought the seat heater was automatic and came on when you started the ignition. Obviously, you were right.

I did a combination of tests. All had the seat heater at level three when I turned off the ignition. The three pieces of data for each test relate to seat belt use when I turned off the ignition, when I turned the ignition on, and then if seat heater came on upon ignition.
1. Seat belt off, seat belt off, no heat
2. Seat belt off, seat belt on, heat
3. Seat belt on, seat belt off, no heat (did come on after I plugged in seat belt)
4. Seat belt on, seat belt on, heat

Test did confirm that the seat belt clip trick would work as long as you plug it in at some point before you use the auto start. (You could also plug in after ignition but then there is no point for auto start)
Perfect. Did the same type of test. Thank you so much. Now we just need someone to solve this problem via coding. Hope someone takes on the challenge.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 11:04 AM   #9
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 11:26 PM   #10
mvmurali42
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530i Xdrive

Garage List
2020 Bmw 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Want to not have the need for the seatbelt to be clipped for the automatic feature to activate. I added a remote start and would like to activate when I turn on the car, not when I put on the seatbelt.
I am sorry this a totally different question.
I have G30 2020.How did you add remote start ? Did you code or installed aftermarket kit ?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #11
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmurali42 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I am sorry this a totally different question.
I have G30 2020.How did you add remote start ? Did you code or installed aftermarket kit ?
Yes I have an aftermarket remote start specifically for g30. Check out eurostart. https://www.eurostart.com/products/bmw-remote-start
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 02:25 PM   #12
enve67
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3

Bump

any updates on this?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 03:44 PM   #13
Bjames93*
Private First Class