BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Rear Daytime Driving Lights

01-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
JB330Ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Rear Daytime Driving Lights

I coded to activate both inner and outer daytime driving lights so they are on all the time now with light switch set on auto. What are those lights for other than DRL? So if I didn't activate them they just sit there doing nothing like the rear fog lights? they occupy a huge area on the rear light fixtures.

See the pictures of both pre-LCI nad LCI rear light fixtures by Andrewc89:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1450178

Last edited by JB330Ci; 01-27-2018 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
iRasF87
Private
Rep
Drives: MG_'17Ⓜ2

I used Bimmercode to code this on MY17. Apart from the Park Lights now on I'm also seeing another inner light bulb on in the brake light section below (pre-LCI). I wasn't aware the brake lights were even divided and I'm not able to check to see what bulbs now light up when braking.
Do you see any other section light up (besides park light) after you had this coded on your LCI?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 01:37 AM   #3
JB330Ci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRasF87 View Post
I used Bimmercode to code this on MY17. Apart from the Park Lights now on I'm also seeing another inner light bulb on in the brake light section below (pre-LCI). I wasn't aware the brake lights were even divided and I'm not able to check to see what bulbs now light up when braking.
Do you see any other section light up (besides park light) after you had this coded on your LCI?
P. 133 of the manual:

Brake force display
Concept
Additional brake lamps indicate emergency
braking to the traffic behind. This can reduce
the risk of a rear-end collision.
General information
▷ During normal brake application, the outer
brake lights light up.
▷ During heavy brake application, the inner
brake lights additionally light up.

I also coded brake force display to flashing at 5 times per second instead of just on.
Appreciate 1
iRasF8713.50
      01-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
iRasF87
Private
Rep
Drives: MG_'17Ⓜ2

Thanks for info, I forgot about BFD
So if they're also on with Rear DRL activated then I might also need to code BFD to 'flashing' as well. Do you mind sharing info you used?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Any pics of coded and non coded ?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
JB330Ci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalaudio View Post
Any pics of coded and non coded ?
Similar to this.

Quote:
Thanks for info, I forgot about BFD
So if they're also on with Rear DRL activated then I might also need to code BFD to 'flashing' as well. Do you mind sharing info you used?
If I remember correctly, you need to go in Front Electronic Module to switch the BFD to flashing and in Rear EM to change the frequency.
Appreciate 1
iRasF8713.50
      03-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB330Ci View Post
P. 133 of the manual:

Brake force display
Concept
Additional brake lamps indicate emergency
braking to the traffic behind. This can reduce
the risk of a rear-end collision.
General information
▷ During normal brake application, the outer
brake lights light up.
▷ During heavy brake application, the inner
brake lights additionally light up.

I also coded brake force display to flashing at 5 times per second instead of just on.
On the LCI what exactly is the "inner" & "outer" brake lamp?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB330Ci View Post
So if I didn't activate them they just sit there doing nothing like the rear fog lights?
Correct. US spec cars have no daytime running light in the tail light that is active from the factory. It will all just be off during the day unless you code either the inner or outer as a DRL (or both). I prefer just the outer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
On the LCI what exactly is the "inner" & "outer" brake lamp?
The inner normally functions as BFD (brake force display) in the USA. In other parts of the world it may be a fog light.

The outer is your standard tail light that's on at night.

This pic demonstrates how it will behave from the factory without any coding:

You can code in the BFD to work as a fog light like the europeans, and you can also code in either the night light and/or BFD as a day time running light.

Quote:
I'm also seeing another inner light bulb on in the brake light section below (pre-LCI)
The reason you are seeing this brake light on is because you have coded in your inner DRL. If you code ONLY the outer section as a DRL you will not get illumination of any brake lights and only the "night light" will illuminate as your DRL:

I would suggest doing that. The inner lights for both LCI and pre lci do not make good DRL's. I personally believe only the outers should be used as DRL (for both aesthetic and safety reasons).

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 03-13-2018 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 5
      03-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #9
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks Andrew...just what I needed to know. Just looking for the DRLt to be lit. i think it would be better to have the brake light and fog light activated when using Brake force display. In that case is the inner brake light they refer to actually the fog lamp?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i think it would be better to have the brake light and fog light activated when using Brake force display.
In the USA the brake lights and BFD lights (aka fogs) will illuminate when BFD is active. This is how they work from the factory. You don't have to change anything if this is how you want them to behave.

Coding in fogs does NOT remove the BFD light function. You can have them function as both fogs and BFD lights. It's just smarter to code them to flash for BFD rather than to just illuminate normally if you're going to be using them as fogs as well. This way people driving behind you can easily tell the two apart.

This thread will show the different ways you can code in BFD: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1225913

This thread will explain how to add coding for fog function: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1450178

Quote:
In that case is the inner brake light they refer to actually the fog lamp?
Yes. Fog lights in europe = BFD lights in USA. Same light. 2 different purposes.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 03-13-2018 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #11
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks again bro.... i just did the DRL outer and its good. I will look at the BFD later. I just turned it on in its default setting in bimmercode so no idea if it is both lights or just one and if it is the outer or inner etc. What is the bimmercode default? I will look at it more later

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 06:32 PM   #12
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Good info... Thanks Andrew
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 11:10 PM   #13
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks again bro.... i just did the DRL outer and its good. I will look at the BFD later. I just turned it on in its default setting in bimmercode so no idea if it is both lights or just one and if it is the outer or inner etc. What is the bimmercode default? I will look at it more later

On US cars, default BFD is just illumination of rear fogs. It's quite boring and doesn't do a great job alerting other cars behind you.

You can change this to flashing which is much better. You can choose a flashing speed of 3 times per sec or 5/sec. The third brake light on top of the rear windshield will also flash.

You can also code in euro BFD which will flash the actual brake lights instead of the fogs. Same speeds can be picked, 3 or 5/sec.

I am using US style BFD lights in flashing mode at 5/sec.

Flashing rate can only be changed on cars with LED bulbs. Doesn't have to be LCI but must be LED.

More info: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1450410
Appreciate 0