BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

12-03-2021, 01:48 AM   #5039
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
IMHO, most people are cowards who are scared to act when it's time to act…..

…whether that action is to defend someone who is being assaulted physically (…e.g…a flight attendant being assaulted by a passenger), defend somebody being assaulted verbally (…e.g. BLM crowds/members disrupting people just trying to eat dinner with their families) or defend a city that is being perpetrated against by people with bad intentions. Good on Rittenhouse to act to protect life and property. If we had more Americans who were willing to combat the nonsense, we wouldn't be in the perilous state we're in [as a country].

Quote:
That is true, but coming to the defense of others is not going to get you into trouble with the law under all but the most extreme set of circumstances. It's one thing to see two grown men fighting, for example, and decide to stay out of it. It's another thing entirely to watch a woman be sexually assaulted or a flight attendant being assaulted and do absolutely nothing. At the very least, we should protect our women and children. That's just my perspective though.

I expect more from men I suppose. When these criminals use their girlfriends and wives as human shields it truly pisses me off. Friggin cowards!
Agreed. I too expect more but not just from men but from women also, but sadly our society is becoming more and more submissive, deflective, and generally soft. It's easier to act like we didn't see something than to act on it. Or, what seems to be the norm these days, record the act on video while doing nothing, and then post it on social media and call the person out. Social media warriors. It's sad.

Also regarding the comment that most people are cowards when it comes time to act, it's getting away from the topic as it was discussed but it's a good example of how the "tough" easily break when it comes time to act and we see this in the military all the time and I'm sure the police force sees it as well. Guys (and gals) think they are protectors, will act like Billy Badass, act tough talking about how they are ready to fuck shit up, fight the enemy, how they aren't scared of a firefight etc, but as soon as the rounds start flying you find them cowering behind a barrier and screaming while the guy who is usually humble, quiet and reserved is getting shit done and fighting like a reincarnated Spartan warrior.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Murf99314114.00
Joekerr7926.00
      12-03-2021, 05:03 AM   #5040
vanguard8
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1969 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
What a disgrace! You minimize the fact that 58 LEO were killed doing their job?!?!
I minimized nothing. I think you have it backwards.
I wonder why cops & others all over the country minimize the damage that not getting vaxxed causes, not just to those who choose such, but to innocent bystanders.
I have not seen folks here, including you, morn the fact that so many more cops die from covid.

Remember, covid never stops with infecting "just you". It spreads.

Last edited by vanguard8; 12-03-2021 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 05:22 AM   #5041
vanguard8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Agreed. I too expect more but not just from men but from women also, but sadly our society is becoming more and more submissive, deflective, and generally soft. It's easier to act like we didn't see something than to act on it. Or, what seems to be the norm these days, record the act on video while doing nothing, and then post it on social media and call the person out. Social media warriors. It's sad....
It is often very hard to be brave & stand up for what's right when every little punk has a gun.
I've been threatened with a gun for telling people to get off their car horn on my block. You reap what you sow.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 06:32 AM   #5042
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
How long do you think before a business owner in California defends his store with his AR against the "smash and grabbers"? What would be the consequences for a business owner if that were to happen?
I think we're on the cusp of that happening if I'm being honest. People are completely fed up. We have flash mob robberies/thefts every other day. The problem a business owner would have is articulating the need to fire a weapon if there's no threat of serious bodily or death. A theft absent a threat is just petty theft/shoplifting or grand theft; a property crime. Shoplifting plus a threat turns it into an Estes robbery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, how much is your department getting from ARPA for front line workers?

Our Council approved $175/mn for the period 3/20-3/21 for sworn. Non-sworn got $150. I tried to convince my boss that IT supports PD at least 50%/day and on call 24x7, we should get something more than the $100 for general staff. He laughed.
We revived $1000 this month and will be paid an additional $500 next month for working through COVID. We are still negotiating for a raise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
I had traffic court yesterday. 85 in a 65. This was on a local major highway so we know 85 is not exactly flying, but b/c speed limits haven't been revised, I was breaking the law on paper.

I saw him flying up reckless weaving through traffic to get me. I pulled over ad waited for him. No break.

I hire lawyer & I only get 2 points knocked off. WTH? I could have done that without a lawyer...

My question is, is only taking 2 pts off under these circumstances normal these days? Oh, it was last day of the month that I was pulled over as well...
What state do you reside in? Those points likely made the difference between you having a license and having your license suspended for a year or two without any provisions.
Excellent point. Not all states allow civilians to use deadly force to protect all property. This gets lost on a lot of folks.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 06:42 AM   #5043
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Quote:
IMHO, most people are cowards who are scared to act when it's time to act…..

…whether that action is to defend someone who is being assaulted physically (…e.g…a flight attendant being assaulted by a passenger), defend somebody being assaulted verbally (…e.g. BLM crowds/members disrupting people just trying to eat dinner with their families) or defend a city that is being perpetrated against by people with bad intentions. Good on Rittenhouse to act to protect life and property. If we had more Americans who were willing to combat the nonsense, we wouldn't be in the perilous state we're in [as a country].

Quote:
That is true, but coming to the defense of others is not going to get you into trouble with the law under all but the most extreme set of circumstances. It's one thing to see two grown men fighting, for example, and decide to stay out of it. It's another thing entirely to watch a woman be sexually assaulted or a flight attendant being assaulted and do absolutely nothing. At the very least, we should protect our women and children. That's just my perspective though.

I expect more from men I suppose. When these criminals use their girlfriends and wives as human shields it truly pisses me off. Friggin cowards!
Agreed. I too expect more but not just from men but from women also, but sadly our society is becoming more and more submissive, deflective, and generally soft. It's easier to act like we didn't see something than to act on it. Or, what seems to be the norm these days, record the act on video while doing nothing, and then post it on social media and call the person out. Social media warriors. It's sad.

Also regarding the comment that most people are cowards when it comes time to act, it's getting away from the topic as it was discussed but it's a good example of how the "tough" easily break when it comes time to act and we see this in the military all the time and I'm sure the police force sees it as well. Guys (and gals) think they are protectors, will act like Billy Badass, act tough talking about how they are ready to fuck shit up, fight the enemy, how they aren't scared of a firefight etc, but as soon as the rounds start flying you find them cowering behind a barrier and screaming while the guy who is usually humble, quiet and reserved is getting shit done and fighting like a reincarnated Spartan warrior.
oh please. Up until the last 25 yrs or so society has almost always tolerated the public display of domestic violence.

If you're going to intervene you had better know the law otherwise you're going to end up in prison like the yahoos who killed Ahmed Aubrey or worse.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 07:20 AM   #5044
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
oh please. Up until the last 25 yrs or so society has almost always tolerated the public display of domestic violence.

If you're going to intervene you had better know the law otherwise you're going to end up in prison like the yahoos who killed Ahmed Aubrey or worse.
If you use excessive force you can find yourself in trouble, but if you act in good faith you really have nothing to worry about from a legal standpoint. There are risks to intervening but they can be mitigated. Often telling the involved parties that you are filming them and calling 911 will shut it down, and often if one person interjects themselves others will follow.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      12-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #5045
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
I think we're on the cusp of that happening if I'm being honest. People are completely fed up. We have flash mob robberies/thefts every other day. The problem a business owner would have is articulating the need to fire a weapon if there's no threat of serious bodily injury or death. A theft absent a threat is just petty theft/shoplifting or grand theft; a property crime. Shoplifting plus a threat turns it into an Estes robbery.

We revived $1000 this month and will be paid an additional $500 next month for working through COVID. We are still negotiating for a raise.

What state do you reside in? Those points likely made the difference between you having a license and having your license suspended for a year or two without any provisions.
No, they did not. I had no pts on my license prior ro these 2. I am in PA
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      12-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #5046
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Some of my partners are on bike patrol today. One of the contract cities purchased approximately ten Cannondale bikes equipped with lights and sirens to be used for specialized enforcement.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 5
upstatedoc7555.50
Lady Jane68862.50
vreihen1614882.00
Murf99314114.00
F32Fleet3539.50
      12-03-2021, 05:41 PM   #5047
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Don't drive and text billboard in Cordoba, Spain. Brilliant!

Attachment 2757342

Last edited by Lady Jane; 01-06-2022 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24809.50
vreihen1614882.00
Murf99314114.00
      12-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #5048
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Some of my partners on are bike patrol today. One of the contract cities purchased approximately ten Cannondale bikes equipped with lights and sirens to be used for specialized enforcement.
So the Cannondale bikes are going to pull over the Specialized bikes?
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Murf99314114.00
      12-03-2021, 08:04 PM   #5049
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
Some of my partners on are bike patrol today. One of the contract cities purchased approximately ten Cannondale bikes equipped with lights and sirens to be used for specialized enforcement.
So the Cannondale bikes are going to pull over the Specialized bikes?

I see what you did there. LOL!
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
upstatedoc7555.50
      12-03-2021, 09:43 PM   #5050
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Just had a flash mob robbery at the Best Buy. This crime wave is out of control.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1614882.00
      12-04-2021, 05:55 AM   #5051
vanguard8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.... What does everybody think about the Andrew Coffee case/verdict?
Here we have another case of a minor carrying, & using a gun, where he obviously wasn't supposed to.
The parents ran, but were caught. Guilty!
Teach your children well. It was asked here a little while ago, how young is too young for unsupervised gun play?

"Parents of Michigan Shooting Suspect Arrested in Detroit, Police Say

The couple were charged after officials said their son carried out the shootings using a handgun his parents had bought for him."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/04/u...-arrested.html
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      12-04-2021, 08:08 AM   #5052
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just had a flash mob robbery at the Best Buy. This crime wave is out of control.
At what point in time will this madness stop? Here in Ontario alcohol is sold by government stores, the LCBO. They are the largest purchaser of alcohol on the planet (I kid you not). Over the past few years they have stopped engaging shoplifters. It is now routine that people walk in, fill their backpack or what ever and just walk out. Almost $100M a year in thefts.

On what planet is this acceptable?
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24809.50
vreihen1614882.00
paquet629.50
      12-04-2021, 08:12 AM   #5053
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
At what point in time will this madness stop? Here in Ontario alcohol is sold by government stores, the LCBO. They are the largest purchaser of alcohol on the planet (I kid you not). Over the past few years they have stopped engaging shoplifters. It is now routine that people walk in, fill their backpack or what ever and just walk out. Almost $100M a year in thefts.

I find myself asking those very same questions. It's as if these companies are okay with significant product shrinkage and those who are in charge of prosecuting thefts have completely acquiesced to criminals.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 08:28 AM   #5054
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Some of my partners are on bike patrol today. One of the contract cities purchased approximately ten Cannondale bikes equipped with lights and sirens to be used for specialized enforcement.
Toronto Police uses a bike that is manufactured locally, Thin Blue Line, I wonder how long before they get cancelled.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24809.50
vreihen1614882.00
      12-04-2021, 08:58 AM   #5055
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's all about liability (civil and criminal).

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 08:59 AM   #5056
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
I am curious about the Kevin Nishita case. If there are 20 people that conspire to commit a smash and grab and during the crime one of them shoots and kills someone are they not ALL guilty of murder?

I await with baited breath to hear of the convictions of the smash and grab gang members with multiple years prison time each.

OK I jest. We all know that won't happen to these people stealing bread for their babies.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #5057
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can only imagine how many cellphone citations they could write by sneaking up on drivers at red lights.

Appreciate 1
vanguard8245.50
      12-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #5058
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
I find myself asking those very same questions. It's as if these companies are okay with significant product shrinkage and those who are in charge of prosecuting thefts have completely acquiesced to criminals.
With the new no-bail laws on this coast, it is a waste of time thanks to catch-and-release.

In one week back in November, there were riots and shootings on the grounds of main high schools in two different small cities here. Both districts had to close their high schools for multiple days, while security procedures were revised and implemented. These are crazy times, and I fear for the country when these kids are the norm in our society in a few years.

Today's regional news included a video link from social media by a few girls that were former students of one of these high schools, who entered the building and pummeled one or more current girl students. They obviously have no fear of the consequences by posting video of their trespassing and assault for the world to see, not to mention the school's weeks-old new security procedures allowing them into the building when they weren't current students.....
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      12-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #5059
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
It is, the LCBO is fully government owned, so they talk the loss and pass it onto the tax payer. But for small privately owned stores, how do you stay in business when assholes can just walk in take what they want and leave with near zero concern about prosecution or recourse?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      12-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #5060
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It is, the LCBO is fully government owned, so they talk the loss and pass it onto the tax payer. But for small privately owned stores, how do you stay in business when assholes can just walk in take what they want and leave with near zero concern about prosecution or recourse?
Answer: Store owners should move.

Appreciate 0