BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020-202x Corvette Stingray

10-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #1101
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
They just tested the 992S and the Z51 C8 and the 911 on a less sticky tire had it by 1.1 seconds per lap and was faster in the quarter mile, braking, figure 8...you name it it was faster than the C8. I think they’re going to need a lot more to make it compete with a GT3/RS which were awfully close in lap times with the last gen C7 despite about 250 less hp.
The GrandSport Z07 and the GT3 were pretty damn close with the C7 having 40 less horsepower, at least at C/D's Lightning Lap.

As for the C8, that test wasn't on a track. It was pretty much worthless for MT to even quote as they just timed the two cars on an open stretch of road. One driver had a 1.1 second difference and the author was at 0.6.

The C8 was quicker in the quarter by 0.1 second and its stop from 60 was just 1 foot longer. Too small to even count. The largest difference is in the figure 8 but, until we get a real track test, I wouldn't make any conclusion on which is the definitively quicker car on multiple tracks. It'll be very close.

The C8 will do just fine even with less power than the C7 Z06 as it will take much better advantage of the increased power than the C7.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #1102
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerworld View Post
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...-c8-power-dyno
MT did several Dyno runs, lowest measurement was 478 WHP/ 536 WTQ, highest was 551/512 So the C8 is putting down power similar to the c7 z06?
Yeah, I doubt that. If it’s really capable of 550whp on something comparable to anything between a dynojet or mustang dyno, it’s slow af considering.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:18 PM   #1103
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Yeah, I doubt that. If it’s really capable of 550whp on something comparable to anything between a dynojet or mustang dyno, it’s slow af considering.
It's 200 lbs heavier than a C7. What do you want?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:04 PM   #1104
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Ok so it’s not R&T or motortrend but a very good review nevertheless. Just ignore ridiculous terms like equal length exhaust runners and enjoy the ride.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...ant/ar-AAJE55f
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #1105
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
If the car we've just described didn't have twin flags on its nose, this would all be cause for unmitigated celebration. But it does bear those flags ...
but but but ... it needs those flags.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #1106
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Corgrats Nats!
https://www.thedrive.com/news/30760/...et-corvette-c8
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #1107
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
They just tested the 992S and the Z51 C8 and the 911 on a less sticky tire had it by 1.1 seconds per lap and was faster in the quarter mile, braking, figure 8...you name it it was faster than the C8. I think they’re going to need a lot more to make it compete with a GT3/RS which were awfully close in lap times with the last gen C7 despite about 250 less hp.
Just to update, R&T did the first same day test and the C8 Z51 beat the 991S.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      11-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #1108
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

The C8 will cannibalize alot of competition as long as they can ramp up production. This is the car people were waiting for. Do you know how many cars I've crossed off my next-ride list because the C8 showed up? I can't be the only one.
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2706.00
Red Bread4462.00
      11-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #1109
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here’s the R&T comparison piece. Corvette did very well only behind two actual super cars around the track. It’s a short, slow track and I can’t wait till it’s able to stretch its legs on the fast ones. Besting a new 911 is always nice but we’ll have to see how they match up on other tracks and the road. I’m guessing they’ll do very well in that regard.
If you’re a Supra fan you’ll probably want to skip reading this one.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-of-the-year/#
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #1110
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
The C8 will cannibalize alot of competition as long as they can ramp up production. This is the car people were waiting for. Do you know how many cars I've crossed off my next-ride list because the C8 showed up? I can't be the only one.
They’ll be turning them out pretty good. They did add another full time shift at Bowling Green and the strike is over. You’re certainly not the only one, a lot of other cars suddenly turned into hot potatoes
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #1111
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
You're not. I'm certainly considering one the my garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #1112
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Here’s the R&T comparison piece. Corvette did very well only behind two actual super cars around the track. It’s a short, slow track and I can’t wait till it’s able to stretch its legs on the fast ones. Besting a new 911 is always nice but we’ll have to see how they match up on other tracks and the road. I’m guessing they’ll do very well in that regard.
If you’re a Supra fan you’ll probably want to skip reading this one.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-of-the-year/#
Yeah, can't wait to see it tested at VIR, if they haven't already.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #1113
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Yeah, can't wait to see it tested at VIR, if they haven't already.
They haven’t officially yet but it will do The Lightning Lap as soon as C&D does it again, I’m sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 04:57 AM   #1114
sophia777
Registered
Rep
Drives: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Who cares this is the point. Affordable priced car that looks like a damn supercar!

If anyone wants a "normal" styled one just get a C7.

Yes, i also think the same. If a car is at affordable price. It's best.
I don't have one.
And i think you can give me a good advice to buy an affordable and good car.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #1115
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good news, bad news. First the bad, the cars release has been delayed a bit.
Now the good, the car will be getting some tweaks that will no doubt make it even better on the street and faster on the track. Worth the wait I’m sure.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...020/ar-AAJXciu
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #1116
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Good news, bad news. First the bad, the cars release has been delayed a bit.
Now the good, the car will be getting some tweaks that will no doubt make it even better on the street and faster on the track. Worth the wait I’m sure.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...020/ar-AAJXciu
They didn't say the car was getting any tweaks. With that said, I'm sure Chevrolet MAY elect to take data/feedback to make mild software changes to help with some of the driving behavior. For example, since Tremec designed the DCT, why is the GT500 Tremec awesome but sucks in the Corvette? Tremec needs to do some additional work there.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #1117
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
They didn't say the car was getting any tweaks. With that said, I'm sure Chevrolet MAY elect to take data/feedback to make mild software changes to help with some of the driving behavior. For example, since Tremec designed the DCT, why is the GT500 Tremec awesome but sucks in the Corvette? Tremec needs to do some additional work there.
R&T is the only tester so far that said the transmission wasn't up to par and they tested a pre-pro unit. They'll most likely be making tweaks to that transmission(specifically software) for another year even after production.

As for the differences between the GT500, who knows? I will say that the Mustang is a mature platform, so most of its teething pains are gone. The Corvette is running a brand new electronic architecture as well as a brand new platform and drivetrain layout.

I'd only be concerned if its March and full rate production cars in customers' hands are having similar issues to the R&T car, which I doubt will happen.
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2706.00
clee1982796.00
      11-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #1118
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
R&T is the only tester so far that said the transmission wasn't up to par and they tested a pre-pro unit. They'll most likely be making tweaks to that transmission(specifically software) for another year even after production.

As for the differences between the GT500, who knows? I will say that the Mustang is a mature platform, so most of its teething pains are gone. The Corvette is running a brand new electronic architecture as well as a brand new platform and drivetrain layout.

I'd only be concerned if its March and full rate production cars in customers' hands are having similar issues to the R&T car, which I doubt will happen.
I hope that’s true.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 04:30 AM   #1119
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

For us gear heads a quick article on how Chevrolet coaxed some more gitty-up out of the LT for its new flag ship. It’s going to take to mods real well as all LS/LT’s do.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/c8-c...te-lt1-engine/
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 05:57 AM   #1120
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
For us gear heads a quick article on how Chevrolet coaxed some more gitty-up out of the LT for its new flag ship. It’s going to take to mods real well as all LS/LT’s do.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/c8-c...te-lt1-engine/
Quote:
But improvements to the LT2 engine itself also helped earn it the highest SAE-certified output of any naturally aspirated Corvette ever.
Um, wasn’t the LS7 505hp?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #1121
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Yes it was, good catch. You either caught a discrepancy or there are different SAE parameters now, I’m not sure which.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #1122
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Quote:
Yes it was, good catch. You either caught a discrepancy or there are different SAE parameters now, I’m not sure which.
Could they have meant output per liter?

LS7, 7.0L, 505hp = 72.14hp/L
LT2, 6.2L, 495hp = 79.94hp/L

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0