ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-16-2021, 12:46 AM   #4159
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Just got sent a pm about this.
A lot of assumptions about me. Also not sure why my comments are hidden; I only use the app and can't see any setting that would suggest it's hidden?

Not here to argue, my post was because I can't get why some of you hate it so vehemently. I do feel bad for how negative you all seem to be as well- 190 pages of negativity! Are some of you ok? I'd be happy every day knowing I owned an M3/4!

I've loved every iteration of M3 and have finally gotten to a point in my life I can afford one, I've never been able to have the newest thing at all, I moved to the US just over 3 years ago with $500, this is a dream come true to get a G8X! You bet I'm a fanboy; weren't you when waiting for your F8X?!

My grandad always had bmws, my uncle had an E46; my favorite M3 of all time, and I'd love an air cooled Porsche, but I'd need a mechanic as a best friend as I'm useless. One day I might be lucky enough to own a 911, but I reached my dream of actually getting an M3 at last so I'm happy.

Seeing F8X models driving around was always a motivation for me and I'm so excited to get my M3. The F8X was not my favorite but I get why you all love them so much, and I'm not saying anyone wouldn't stop to take pics or admire it at a show, but as if they would actively not want to look at the G8X; it's the brand new one, even if you did hate it you'd wanna get pics and check it out, you don't need to make things up to justify you don't like it, and it's fine you think it's ugly if you've been to see it and still think that, but it really doesn't photo well, I know, I know, but it's not soft and beautiful like an F8X; it's angular and aggressive, though I think it's stunning obviously - taking a photo at 3 feet with an iPhone straight in front of the grille is not how it presents in real life though, no.

Hopefully can get to meet some of you people when restrictions drop and I finally have my car and join some meets, if you can stand to look at my car without vomiting of course
A lot of people people think the car is ugly. This is a car forum dedicated to BMWs, so you'll find a lot of people around here with opinions about them. How they look has always been largely what made BMW exceptional. Seeing a drastic change is going to get a lot of opinions to surface. Not sure why any of that seems to surprise people.

Far as I can tell the only issue or anger in this thread is towards Bimmerpost because banning members for having opinions about a car. I'm not talking about members who deserved it for attacking posters but the large number banned for having an opinion about a car on A CAR FORUM! Lol

Glad you're excited about the prospect of your car. Enjoy it!
Appreciate 7
Jcali861479.00
RugbyBro7609.00
irunalot1518.00
stein_325i25173.50
MFNATIK3498.00
dmk087318.00
ra2289308.50
      03-16-2021, 12:58 AM   #4160
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Like I said from the very beginning. I think you need to get LASIK if you think the G8X looks good.
Just read the yellow sticker in the headlights long enough and it’ll all be fine.
Appreciate 5
irunalot1518.00
ntg442891.50
stein_325i25173.50
NickyC17667.50
MFNATIK3498.00
      03-16-2021, 01:12 AM   #4161
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Not here to argue, my post was because I can't get why some of you hate it so vehemently.
(1.) It's really ugly
(2.) It shits on 50+ years of BMW design lineage
(3.) It's shits on 40 years of ///M product integrity: road-going track cars (it's a GT car: track-able road car)

Nobody's here to argue, just to discuss cars, and specifically BMWs; What's in these 190 pages is discussion and, personally, I'd love to have your opinions in these discussions, though I'd understand if you're not comfortable hearing from those that don't like your grail car ...

For me, I've always thought it's better to be psychologically strong than psychologically safe, so I love discussion with reasonable folk of differing opinions.

Thanks for diving in, I hope you stick around!
Appreciate 14
RugbyBro7609.00
Jcali861479.00
irunalot1518.00
Tecnniqe4197.00
GERMAN M34182.00
Mavus2038.50
stein_325i25173.50
NickyC17667.50
MFNATIK3498.00
CT_M31478.00
six75LT918.00
dmk087318.00
jpy19801583.00
      03-16-2021, 01:31 AM   #4162
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Appreciate the responses!

I wanted to post, and this ties into the above post asking why I care what F8X owners think, because I do care what F8X owners think. I want to join an M community and be a part of it, not a G8X community.

My bad on assuming it's all negative in this thread, as you can guess I didn't read it all. That's also bad if you've been banned for no reason, the low effort trolls obviously deserve it but I'm not looking for an echo chamber and good discussions are always healthy!

I'll have a look around here as I rarely venture out the G8X section, so it's not surprising I'm coming across that way; I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
I do feel bad for how negative you all seem to be as well- 190 pages of negativity!
If there was nothing to complain about, the world would be much more boring!

Quote:
Are some of you ok?
Personally, nope.

But congrats on your successful move and your new purchase! Enjoy it, take it to Laguna Seca to explore the dual-duty nature of an M3 that many admire.
I'm really sorry to hear you're not doing ok. I really appreciate the positivity if that's the case and hope things get better for you soon.

It's a dream of mine to drive Laguna Seca, I've spent countless hours on Forza and Gran Turismo driving that track. Did you ever see the Jeremy Clarkson episode where he learned it and got a time on GT then drove it for real in an NSX? I never knew how steep the corkscrew was until then; seemed easy on my game when I was younger!
pbar1400.00
      03-16-2021, 01:42 AM   #4163
Jcali86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Not here to argue, my post was because I can't get why some of you hate it so vehemently.
(1.) It's really ugly
(2.) It shits on 50+ years of BMW design lineage
(3.) It's shits on 40 years of ///M product integrity: road-going track cars (it's a GT car: track-able road car)

Nobody's here to argue, just to discuss cars, and specifically BMWs; What's in these 190 pages is discussion and, personally, I'd love to have your opinions in these discussions, though I'd understand if you're not comfortable hearing from those that don't like your grail car ...

For me, I've always thought it's better to be psychologically strong than psychologically safe, so I love discussion with reasonable folk of differing opinions.

Thanks for diving in, I hope you stick around!
The world would be boring if we liked the same thing right!

I'm not against you thinking it's ugly or other negative comments at all, and thanks for the reasons why as it makes sense you'd see it the way you do, but some comments just seemed so off it was hard to believe they were genuine. I'll have a better read through and understand more without judging so quickly next time though.
      03-16-2021, 02:00 AM   #4164
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I'm not against you thinking it's ugly or other negative comments at all, and thanks for the reasons why as it makes sense you'd see it the way you do, but some comments just seemed so off it was hard to believe they were genuine. I'll have a better read through and understand more without judging so quickly next time though.
I think it’s easy to judge everyone in here based on simple posts but it’s far exceeds just talking about the appearance.

That said I’m happy for you and that you finally achieved the dream, as I achieved mine with the F8X. I’ve always loved them since the early E days up until now and when I saw the F8X I knew this was the time for me to finally do it as I had the means to do so.

I’ve driven a lot of them before but never owned one myself and it is a truly special feeling and I couldn’t be happier for you.

There is a deep divide at the moment internally with BMW fans and other enthusiasts alike, the polarization of the design is only one piece of the puzzle and while the G8X is a very competent car it’s not exactly what we expected the last ICE M3/4 to be. It’s kinda in its own league between the 3/4 and the 5 in this last iteration for better and for worse.

A lot of emotions runs in it, as it should. It’s expensive and generations to follow up so it’s to be expected. It’s hard to carry a conversation on the respective G board since the threshold for getting banned is so low, it would be better to have views or disagreements posted in here as we’re all up for a good discussion as there have been some, even positivity in the G8X’s favor if you can believe it

In the end we’re all just a bunch of dummies arguing about cars and design most people probably don’t even care for.
Appreciate 3
Jcali861479.00
MFNATIK3498.00
minn1914078.00
      03-16-2021, 02:19 AM   #4165
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Just got sent a pm about this.
A lot of assumptions about me. Also not sure why my comments are hidden; I only use the app and can't see any setting that would suggest it's hidden?

Not here to argue, my post was because I can't get why some of you hate it so vehemently. I do feel bad for how negative you all seem to be as well- 190 pages of negativity! Are some of you ok? I'd be happy every day knowing I owned an M3/4!

I've loved every iteration of M3 and have finally gotten to a point in my life I can afford one, I've never been able to have the newest thing at all, I moved to the US just over 3 years ago with $500, this is a dream come true to get a G8X! You bet I'm a fanboy; weren't you when waiting for your F8X?!

My grandad always had bmws, my uncle had an E46; my favorite M3 of all time, and I'd love an air cooled Porsche, but I'd need a mechanic as a best friend as I'm useless. One day I might be lucky enough to own a 911, but I reached my dream of actually getting an M3 at last so I'm happy.

Seeing F8X models driving around was always a motivation for me and I'm so excited to get my M3. The F8X was not my favorite but I get why you all love them so much, and I'm not saying anyone wouldn't stop to take pics or admire it at a show, but as if they would actively not want to look at the G8X; it's the brand new one, even if you did hate it you'd wanna get pics and check it out, you don't need to make things up to justify you don't like it, and it's fine you think it's ugly if you've been to see it and still think that, but it really doesn't photo well, I know, I know, but it's not soft and beautiful like an F8X; it's angular and aggressive, though I think it's stunning obviously - taking a photo at 3 feet with an iPhone straight in front of the grille is not how it presents in real life though, no.

Hopefully can get to meet some of you people when restrictions drop and I finally have my car and join some meets, if you can stand to look at my car without vomiting of course
One thing you get to understand being around cars is pretty simple honestly, it is mainly an emotional thing. You can never logic your way out of it. Just as Porsche realized pretty fast about the Turbo Flat 4 being a mistake in the 718. Despite all the numbers and engineering saying the flat 4 is a better engine compared to the former Flat Six, there was nothing they can do about people complaining about it. That's why Porsche at the very least, shoved the NA Flat Six back in some of the 718 cars.

This is why BMW has gotten things wrong so often lately and they don't seem to understand. All of Dukec's attempts of justifying what he did is making it worse for those who disagree, and there are a lot of us who disagree. You don't pour more fuel to the fire, it's just going to annoy us more.

You don't need to read through 190+ pages of this thread. You only need to understand half of the community is angry at BMW and the others are mad at BP mods for banning so many long time community members from the G8x forum for voicing their displeasure about the car.

Last edited by Arcades; 03-16-2021 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 7
Jcali861479.00
GrussGott18199.50
GERMAN M34182.00
stein_325i25173.50
MFNATIK3498.00
minn1914078.00
      03-16-2021, 02:26 AM   #4166
Jcali86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Quote:

I think it's easy to judge everyone in here based on simple posts but it's far exceeds just talking about the appearance.

That said I'm happy for you and that you finally achieved the dream, as I achieved mine with the F8X. I've always loved them since the early E days up until now and when I saw the F8X I knew this was the time for me to finally do it as I had the means to do so.

I've driven a lot of them before but never owned one myself and it is a truly special feeling and I couldn't be happier for you.
Much appreciated! I'm so excited. Wish everyone could be as excited about the new M3 as me, but I'm getting why more people aren't after spending some time around here and understanding more.

Quote:
There is a deep divide at the moment internally with BMW fans and other enthusiasts alike, the polarization of the design is only one piece of the puzzle and while the G8X is a very competent car it's not exactly what we expected the last ICE M3/4 to be. It's kinda in its own league between the 3/4 and the 5 in this last iteration for better and for worse.
Yeah, for me the elements closer to the M5 were a selling point, I understand it being closer to that is an issue for a lot of M fans though. I don't want an M5 though so I hope it's not too close to it. I won't claim it's light or a word close to that, but a recent weigh in showed 3740lbs with normal seats and some gas, so it gives me hope and aligns with some reviews, Throttle House for example, saying it's similar to an M2 than an M5, but I've no doubt it's closer to an M5 in physical feel as it's, well, physics!

Quote:
A lot of emotions runs in it, as it should. It's expensive and generations to follow up so it's to be expected. It's hard to carry a conversation on the respective G board since the threshold for getting banned is so low, it would be better to have views or disagreements posted in here as we're all up for a good discussion as there have been some, even positivity in the G8X's favor if you can believe it
Yeah, I didn't realize it was so prolific regarding the bans. Hopefully more people will be able to discuss more freely now the car is out in the world?

Quote:
In the end we're all just a bunch of dummies arguing about cars and design most people probably don't even care for.
Tecnniqe4197.00
irunalot1518.00
      03-16-2021, 03:46 AM   #4167
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post

Far as I can tell the only issue or anger in this thread is towards Bimmerpost because banning members for having opinions about a car.
I think you're spot on. Fundamentally, this is the problem. Instead of BP accepting a few (ok more than a few) body blows by naysayers on the seemingly dozens of G8x front page articles that simply pertain to aesthetics, a "body shaming" thread was created which now stands at over 4000 posts. And guess what? They're all visible to the public. Not front page visible, but visible nonetheless. This thread certainly contains some classic Mike Tyson uppercut knockouts.

Last edited by No Boost; 03-16-2021 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:32 AM   #4168
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

Its a shame that the new m3 is no longer a brute sports car, but a GT car..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:33 AM   #4169
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

anypone starting to like the looks of the car? be sincere haha
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:44 AM   #4170
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveux View Post
I never perceived the M3 as "brute sports car"

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25256.50
GERMAN M34182.00
      03-16-2021, 07:12 AM   #4171
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
it never was but it can be modified to become one. gt3 rs is more like it
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 07:51 AM   #4172
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
In general, no. However, I did notice a few changes in my opinion recently, so I'll be fair.

- Overall, I'm a pretty big fan of the wheel selection besides the entry level 18/19s. The 513M was my favorite wheel on the F80, but it looks like BMW learned from their mistakes and made the more expensive looking wheels much better looking this time around. I'd be fine with either of the upgraded wheels, so much so that I would most likely be content with spacers instead of aftermarket.

- I think if there ever is a showstopper color on this car for me, it's the frozen dark grey looking color. I was first intrigued when I saw a 3/4 aerial shot of the front nose, and I'd be lying if I didn't think it looked pretty darn good from that angle. And then I started seeing some 1/4 and 3/4 photos of the car in that color and it started clicking. I'm normally not a fan of frozen paints, but I think they work really well on the new M3/4.

- In general, I think the car looks better in 1/4 in 3/4 side profile pics, rather than dead on front, side, and rear. I still really don't like the black front bumper bottom corners, the front fender side badges, or the saggy protruding rear bumper and oversized diffuser, and I don't think I ever will. I also think the signature high character line along the side could have done a lot to improve the look and stance. It was executed perfectly on the new M5, and it's kind of a shame it gets lost on the M3/4, they really could have used it in my opinion. The softness in comparison makes it generic looking in my opinion.

- Lastly, as with F80, I think the M3 looks better than the M4 still. The wider rear fender flares add a lot of character to an otherwise generic design. The rear half of the M4 looks far too much like an Infiniti Q60 for my tastes, not that it's good or bad, just not for me.

In the end, I could maybe see myself warming up to a car in the frozen dark grey color with a drop and spacers, but only if I was down to 1 car. Having 3 cars at the moment, it's just priced too far out of what I'm willing to pay. I got my stripper F80 for 62k and I felt it was worth every penny. The 70k barrier has been difficult for me to cross for a sports sedan given the other cars in my garage. But who knows, maybe my R8's engine blows and I will end up with one of these one day
      03-16-2021, 08:27 AM   #4173
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Only thing I’ve gotten used to is the grill but once you start looking at the rest of the car everything else about it looks worse so maybe that’s why I’m more okay with the grill in and of itself now.

It doesn’t change the fact it doesn’t align with any other design piece like it used to.
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3498.00
      03-16-2021, 09:00 AM   #4174
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Please Jcali86 this is our safe space don't invade it.
Appreciate 1
Jcali861479.00
      03-16-2021, 10:49 AM   #4175
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
It's a dream of mine to drive Laguna Seca, I've spent countless hours on Forza and Gran Turismo driving that track. Did you ever see the Jeremy Clarkson episode where he learned it and got a time on GT then drove it for real in an NSX? I never knew how steep the corkscrew was until then; seemed easy on my game when I was younger!
Do it! You won't regret it.

If you haven't taken your car to a track before then I'd recommend doing the first time or two with HookedOnDriving - they are extremely good with beginners and have an amazing safety record.
Laguna Seca is easy to do as a day trip from SF.... but, apart from the corkscrew, I find ThunderHill is actually more fun (especially the 5 mile circuit!)

First time over the corkscrew in real life is kinda scary - I was glad that an instructor at the course briefing told me to 'aim for the tree with the yellow ribbon'. Also, the braking zone just before the turn is really uneven and massively unsettles the car.
Appreciate 1
Jcali861479.00
      03-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #4176
Jcali86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
Please Jcali86 this is our safe space don't invade it.
The ghost at the feast! Ha nah I'm just trying to get out my bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
Quote:
Do it! You won't regret it.

If you haven't taken your car to a track before then I'd recommend doing the first time or two with HookedOnDriving - they are extremely good with beginners and have an amazing safety record.
Laguna Seca is easy to do as a day trip from SF.... but, apart from the corkscrew, I find ThunderHill is actually more fun (especially the 5 mile circuit!)

First time over the corkscrew in real life is kinda scary - I was glad that an instructor at the course briefing told me to 'aim for the tree with the yellow ribbon'. Also, the braking zone just before the turn is really uneven and massively unsettles the car.
Thanks, much appreciated! I'm going to go for some runs after work on Gran Turismo after all this talk, sucks they delayed the new one!

ntg44

FDG is my order
Annoyingly it's a standard option for only 2300 CAD but they're probably charging me 4500 US. I wish it was $70k as well; I think it's going to be hitting 6 figures with my options though
      03-16-2021, 12:42 PM   #4177
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Pray he never insults S65 in your presence
I don't own an S65 anymore either to be fair. It has warts just like every gen of the M3.

I started off thinking the grills were the worst part of the G80 and sure I harped on that pretty hard but honestly after seeing it in person its other parts of the design that just don't speak to me. I also would only buy a manual M car and they have neutered that version.

Visually I prefer the F8x to any other M3/M4. Probably the best looking cars I have ever owned. They looked good from every angle. I have actually been considering picking up another 15/16 Civic M3.

On a side note I think it's funny Jcali has come in here trying to be friendly after I'm pretty sure he reported me to get me banned from the G80 section and is probably referring to me as a "low effort troll".
Appreciate 8
stein_325i25173.50
RugbyBro7609.00
alex23642924.50
Tecnniqe4197.00
NickyC17667.50
clutchdj1907.50
irunalot1518.00
      03-16-2021, 01:07 PM   #4178
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I don't own an S65 anymore either to be fair. It has warts just like every gen of the M3.

Visually I prefer the F8x to any other M3/M4. Probably the best looking cars I have ever owned. They looked good from every angle. I have actually been considering picking up another 15/16 Civic M3.
Yup, no M3 is perfect - each one has its character traits (for better or for worse lol)

Pre-LCI F8X is definitely a performance bargain right now and will continue to be since it's still depreciating - while an EL setup may not fix the sound for you completely, it may do just enough to make F8X ownership palatable
dmk087318.00
jpy19801583.00
NickyC17667.50
      03-16-2021, 01:08 PM   #4179
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Yup, no M3 is perfect - each one has its character traits (for better or for worse lol)

Pre-LCI F8X is definitely a performance bargain right now and will continue to be since it's still depreciating - while an EL setup may not fix the sound for you completely, it may do just enough to make F8X ownership palatable
Honestly the best fix for me was leaving the exhaust stock and ASD turned on.. then the only problem was my wife making fun of the car when she rode behind me.
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2021, 01:10 PM   #4180
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I started off thinking the grills were the worst part of the G80 and sure I harped on that pretty hard but honestly after seeing it in person its other parts of the design that just don't speak to me. I also would only buy a manual M car and they have neutered that version.
Grill is what pops out the most instantly, but the more you go into it's seams the more you see that the grill is not the problem at all, it's literally everything else.

And if I was to pick up one I'd go for the manual too. It's the only answer when no M-DCT
Quote:

I too think the F generation is the best looking one. It looks so damn good, in every color and from all angles!

Only thing you really need on that car is to lower it a bit and voila!

Quote:
On a side note I think it's funny Jcali has come in here trying to be friendly after I'm pretty sure he reported me to get me banned from the G80 section and is probably referring to me as a "low effort troll".
I found the post and it looks rather aggressive and presumes what the Alfa images is even about (and this was from a TOP GEAR article the same day comparing the two, so it's not like I went out of my way to find it), I mean it's easy to become blind to it in the bubble there but the images was to show the design differences and not the height in itself, although you can clearly see how the black outline on the new M makes it seem like a SUV height because it hides so much.

I don't venture into that section because every thread turns out the same
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25173.50
RugbyBro7609.00
dmk087318.00
GrussGott18199.50
NickyC17667.50