BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions new to me M550i xDrive in Rhodonite Silver Metallic Individual!

12-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #23
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by particulardude View Post
This is a real first world problem gripe here but coming up on a year with this vehicle, I have failed to make a strong connection with it.
You're a couple months late with your decision. Damn...Bought one already.

IF you need a sedan, maybe the new M3? If you need a big sedan, Panamera. Or Taycan if you're into electrons. V8 AMGs make lovely noises.

GL with your decision.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2021, 08:33 AM   #24
YETIinFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Quote:
This is a real first world problem gripe here but coming up on a year with this vehicle, I have failed to make a strong connection with it.

I was initially very excited to be out of an suv and back in a fast sedan as a daily.
I'm making the same move from a mid-sized V8 SUV to the M550. I actually ordered a Benz AMG SUV with a V8, and then they cancelled most 2022 V8s, including my order.

So I starting looking around and not really finding a BMW SUV that suited me -- this one's too small, this one's too big, etc. -- I decided to check out the sedans. The 550's interior is very close to my current SUV size wise. I test drove a 2018 M550 and was sold. Went back inside and ordered a 2022.

I haven't owned a sedan ever, and my last car was a 2-door coupe -- 16 years ago. I'm hoping I don't have the same lack of connection with the BMW, because I really like my SUV and I do feel like I connect with it, but it's just getting a little old and dated.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 09:08 PM   #25
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHicksM575 View Post
Think about doing a wrap. That usually does it for me.
hm - have thought of wrapping the roof black but feels a bit poser M5

wouldn't do a full color change wrap on an individual color

Quote:
Originally Posted by YETIinFL View Post
I wish they had continued this color into 2022, I went with Bluestone Metallic instead.
it's nice - subtle uniqueness in the world of silvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclcal View Post
i hear you...sold 911 due to family of 5 but its not the same...it's fast if not faster, but too smooth for me. lack of road feel is the issue i think
yes - a complete missile but something's missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
You're a couple months late with your decision. Damn...Bought one already.

IF you need a sedan, maybe the new M3? If you need a big sedan, Panamera. Or Taycan if you're into electrons. V8 AMGs make lovely noises.

GL with your decision.
have browsed all of your suggestions - all very nice but none that I'm lusting after

Quote:
I'm making the same move from a mid-sized V8 SUV to the M550. I actually ordered a Benz AMG SUV with a V8, and then they cancelled most 2022 V8s, including my order.

So I starting looking around and not really finding a BMW SUV that suited me -- this one's too small, this one's too big, etc. -- I decided to check out the sedans. The 550's interior is very close to my current SUV size wise. I test drove a 2018 M550 and was sold. Went back inside and ordered a 2022.

I haven't owned a sedan ever, and my last car was a 2-door coupe -- 16 years ago. I'm hoping I don't have the same lack of connection with the BMW, because I really like my SUV and I do feel like I connect with it, but it's just getting a little old and dated.
thanks for sharing - did you test drive any other sedans before ordering the M550?

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #26
YETIinFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Quote:
thanks for sharing - did you test drive any other sedans before ordering the M550?
Unfortunately, no. There are no news cars available to test.

Mostly online research and comparing models against each other. I found that the M550 comes in at a competitive price and exceeds the performance of the others. I test drove a used 2018 M550 on an extended route through town and on the highway. It was comfortable, smooth, powerful, and sporty all at the same time. Plus, at 6'4" I actually had plenty of room in the driver's seat.

I looked at the MB E53 and optioned it the same as the M550, and it came in at a higher price with less performance. Plus, MB seems to be more affected by the chip issue, and many options are not available. Their somewhat suspicious quality issues with the 48-volt batteries made me wary, so I was not interested in the inline-6 with hybrid ISG.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 10:00 PM   #27
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Plus, at 6'4" I actually had plenty of room in the driver's seat.
hah - I'm 6'4" also

re inventory and options to drive other stuff - it's just such a weird time

I find the E53 a bit bogus - I think mainly the engine- was surprised to learn recently the latest S6 now has a 6cyl as well

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 09:05 PM   #28
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

nice color!
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2022, 08:35 PM   #29
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It is perplexing Cold Weather package didn't include headlight washers on these.
Attached Images

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 08:59 PM   #30
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Everything I've read in the F10 forums about the washers is they are basically useless. Maybe it was a good idea to de-content them.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 11:37 PM   #31
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
I love that gray poplar trim. If I ever got to order a g30, that's the trim I would order.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2022, 08:04 AM   #32
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:

I was initially very excited to be out of an suv and back in a fast sedan as a daily. The Individual paint was a big draw but those butterflies fizzled fairly quickly although I can't put my finger on why...

It's been driven a fair amount. I do a 50mi commute most weekdays and have taken it up to Northern Michigan twice, one trip to Detroit and a couple up to Wisconsin - from North of Chicago.

I thought the HREs were going to spark something for us - no dice. They are FS here btw

The thing is I have no idea what I would replace it with - not lusting after anything for the first time in a long time. I usually always have a list going. Don't get me started on the absurdity of today's car market. It's been said over an over but it's just bananas - new and used with no end in sight.

Even looking at wildly different price points to this, the only thing I see myself possibly paying a premium for would be an RS6 Avant but I'm not crazy about that interior tbh.

I've even gone as far as rereading the initial G30 M550i press release a few times along with looking up first drive review articles and videos to try and hype myself up about having what is in reality a great all around car.

It's good looking, has a subtle enthusiast vibe and holds more than enough power for my needs. The cockpit is quite lux. I don't know, just not clicking for me.

Toying with a different set of wheels - intrigued by 728Ms. Maaaaybe resonator delete. Maaaaybe the LCI taillights but I'm not convinced any of the above will push me over the moon.

This post looks and sounds staged but it's literally what I said to my wife just moments before she took the photo.
No offense to Silver car owners, but your remarks about the car not sparking a connection kind of goes with the color selection for me. People buy silver cars to hide scratches and not look dirty. The issue is the car never pops. You never get that rush of going from filthy to shiny or forgetting how good it looks clean. It's such a transparent color and does nothing for the lines of the car. Angles just blend in like a silver Camry. I did the silver thing on an E38 once and never again. I'd rather see stone chips and scuffs on a dark brilliant color and deal with keeping it clean than have a car that just blends in.
NGT25661.00
      02-19-2022, 11:07 AM   #33
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
No offense to Silver car owners, but your remarks about the car not sparking a connection kind of goes with the color selection for me. People buy silver cars to hide scratches and not look dirty. The issue is the car never pops. You never get that rush of going from filthy to shiny or forgetting how good it looks clean. It's such a transparent color and does nothing for the lines of the car. Angles just blend in like a silver Camry. I did the silver thing on an E38 once and never again. I'd rather see stone chips and scuffs on a dark brilliant color and deal with keeping it clean than have a car that just blends in.
that's a really fair point

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 12:02 PM   #34
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550I

I would want a compromise. I just turned in my first and last black car. What a pain in the ass to keep clean. There are plenty of cool colors that are not as tough like my new one Berdina Grey
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2022, 03:53 PM   #35
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

Nice color. I wish BMW made a pure silver car, like the Porsche Dolomite Silver or Mercedes Silver. I liked BMW 5 in glacier silver, but did not come in M-Sport.

I know what you mean on lusting of cars. I have had quite a few 5’s in a row and they are great cars, but I don’t lust after them anymore. I am a sedan guy and really there is nothing out that I lust after.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 03:58 PM   #36
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep

how about a new RS7, I had one for six years, quite a vehicle if u can deal w no trunk.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 04:57 PM   #37
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliphil View Post
how about a new RS7, I had one for six years, quite a vehicle if u can deal w no trunk.
thanks for the suggestion - the new ones are more than I'm looking to throw at a vehicle (not to mention the current market...)

possibly a last gen one but the lack of flared fenders on those always felt a little lackluster to me - I previously had a B7 RS 4

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 11:04 PM   #38
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep

I hear you, its a pricey car with huge wheels prone to flats but it is an incredible machine, best care I ever had to date
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2022, 12:16 PM   #39
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep

I am thrilled with my new M550I although I only have 175 miles on it so will reserve judgment for a few months. I had the RS7 for 6 years and while pricey it was an absolute joy to drive. I could not stand the 22 wheel and low profile tires as well as needing winter and summer sets but all else was great. Technology was intuitive and easy, handling was superb for a 4000 pound car and it looked great. Seats were uber comfy as well. Is the extra 40K vs an M550 worth it ? After a two weeks w the M550 I say absolutely not. The M550 is faster and while it doesn't handle as well its close enough.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2023, 09:16 PM   #40
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
particulardude

Do you still have the M550? Curious to know after re-reading the thread.

I really came to ask you about the color. I know some feel silver is boring, etc. I think this super looks pretty cool but I haven’t seen it in person. Mostly curious how it is to maintain. Have you noticed many swirl marks or things like that?

I think the rarity of the color would make up for it not being dark (my 540 is dark graphite metallic).

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 07:27 AM   #41
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yo - slightly delayed response lol

I no longer have this M550.

The color was a major draw for me - I love silvers and grays. I find them easy to maintain and think they look great whether they are actually clean or not. Never noticed any swirl issues on the Rhodonite.

Currently on my fourth silver-gray vehicle and I'm sure it won't be the last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
particulardude

Do you still have the M550? Curious to know after re-reading the thread.

I really came to ask you about the color. I know some feel silver is boring, etc. I think this super looks pretty cool but I havenÂ’t seen it in person. Mostly curious how it is to maintain. Have you noticed many swirl marks or things like that?

I think the rarity of the color would make up for it not being dark (my 540 is dark graphite metallic).

Thanks!

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 09:34 AM   #42
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yo - slightly delayed response lol

I no longer have this M550.

The color was a major draw for me - I love silvers and grays. I find them easy to maintain and think they look great whether they are actually clean or not. Never noticed any swirl issues on the Rhodonite.

Currently on my fourth silver-gray vehicle and I'm sure it won't be the last!
I ended up having to pass on the Rhodonite M550 I was looking at. Actually had to pass on two of them. Both equally attractive with individual merino interiors (one caramel and one smoke white). One had more miles than originally advertised and the other showed up to the dealer from auction with all kinds of paint damage evident. Dealer ended up making the auction take it back actually. Really a shame.

I still ended up with an individual color - Champagne Quartz Metallic - but never did find the right one with an individual interior.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      07-08-2023, 10:04 PM   #43
UBRMNSCH
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I ended up having to pass on the Rhodonite M550 I was looking at. Actually had to pass on two of them. Both equally attractive with individual merino interiors (one caramel and one smoke white). One had more miles than originally advertised and the other showed up to the dealer from auction with all kinds of paint damage evident. Dealer ended up making the auction take it back actually. Really a shame.

I still ended up with an individual color - Champagne Quartz Metallic - but never did find the right one with an individual interior.
Love the individual exterior paint. It's tasteful and unique.

Silver is the most basic color but it shows it's design better so that's why car designers always review clay model with silver colored foil or Dinoc(kind of vinyl wrap) while developing design.
I like basic but well proportioned silhouette and handsome front design of G30(personally prefer pre LCI). May be silver is too blend with typical 3-box sedan for some taste.
I also wanted rhodonite so bad but I couldn't find right one either, so I ended up with different exterior color.
(Thank you again with your advice!)
Appreciate 1
NGT25661.00
      07-08-2023, 11:06 PM   #44
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBRMNSCH View Post
Love the individual exterior paint. It's tasteful and unique.

Silver is the most basic color but it shows it's design better so that's why car designers always review clay model with silver colored foil or Dinoc(kind of vinyl wrap) while developing design.
I like basic but well proportioned silhouette and handsome front design of G30(personally prefer pre LCI). May be silver is too blend with typical 3-box sedan for some taste.
I also wanted rhodonite so bad but I couldn't find right one either, so I ended up with different exterior color.
(Thank you again with your advice!)
You and I are in the same seeming minority here, preferring the pre LCI styling along with adhrp

What color did you end up with? Forgive me if I should know this already…

Appreciate 2
adhrp1318.00