BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Photos - Video - Build Threads My 540ix Bluestone Build

11-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #45
Scotty B
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M550

Looks really good. How is ride quality in comfort mode before and after?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 02:41 AM   #46
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post

On the drive home, it was like driving a different car. From the get go, it felt very planted and responsive. Taking the 3rd exit on the first roundabout I came to, I chucked it in as I would normally and the way it handled it was so much better then on the stock springs - much more sharper. That floaty like feeling was gone.

Knowing that they are manufactured by Eibach gives you that extra piece of mind and confidence too! In essence they are the in the middle between lowering springs and Coil overs. I wanted the lowering springs mainly for looks but this way you get the extra added benefits of the improved driveability - (I always drive in Sport or Sport Plus so having that comfy ride doesn't bother me that much).
Wow, I think that's the first time I've seen a 704 M Sport suspension described as floaty... but I guess you did come from an F06. The wheel gap looks good though. You may possibly shorten the lifespan of your struts.

12-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #47
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty B View Post
Looks really good. How is ride quality in comfort mode before and after?
To be honest, I drove home in Sport and Sport Plus as I normally do.

I will be doing a longer journey end of the week and will try it in comfort and feedback to you. I don't really remember how it drove in Comfort on the OEM springs though

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #48
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSteve View Post
Wow, I think that's the first time I've seen a 704 M Sport suspension described as floaty... but I guess you did come from an F06. The wheel gap looks good though. You may possibly shorten the lifespan of your struts.

I had a 2016 F30 335d xDrive before the 6 series... that had the same floaty feel too. I find that the xDrive Saloons tend to sit that little bit higher then the RWD cars, hence the boat like feel and drive. I fitted AC Schnitzer springs to that which was a massive improvement.

MSS say that the springs are fully optimised to work with OEM struts. Lifespan wise, I may (situation dependent) only keep the car another 3 - 4 years before I move onto something else so I'm not too worried in that sense. If I did need replacement parts within that time, then I would just replace/upgrade them.

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 05:45 AM   #49
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

Just picked it up last night. It’s my wife’s new daily driver. Same color combo as yours. I’m keeping an eye on this and have subscribed.

Quote:
Thanks Bud!

Changes due soon:

- MSS Adjustable Springs next week

- Set of Michelin PS4S tyres ordered

- Possibly a new set of wheels (my passenger side front and rear alloys have a slight buckle in them after hitting a huge pothole at 60+ mph) I took them to get straighten but there is still a slight wobble with them both at 70+mph. Not really driven the car much recently so haven't bothered in getting them replaced.

- Gloss black M Performance Pro style spoiler has been ordered and waiting for it to be delivered

- Larger steering wheel paddles have been ordered but not yet fitted

Looking forward to seeing pictures of yours. What's your plans to do with it?

I'm not sure about the heated steering - I know someone else commented on here about it but it wasn't me bud
Attached Images

12-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #50
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo View Post
Just picked it up last night. It’s my wife’s new daily driver. Same color combo as yours. I’m keeping an eye on this and have subscribed.
Congratulations

Looking forward to seeing what you do to it

Appreciate 1
Mik3ymomo205.50
      12-05-2020, 07:46 PM   #51
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Spoiler... (Part 1)

Remove - M Sport Lip Spoiler, Bluestone Metallic

Install - M Performance Pro Style, Gloss Black

The next modification on the list for the car was the spoiler. I felt the car needed a spoiler with a bit more presence and one that stood out.

I saw that BMW did what they call the M Performance Pro spoiler for the M5 in Carbon. This carries a price tag of around £700+.

I love the look of this spoiler and the way it sits on the end of the boot lid. My search led me to find a few 'aftermarket' options but were only available in carbon. I contacted quite a few online sellers to see if they did a Gloss Black option but surprisingly, not many seem to do them. Eventually, I was able to find a company who were willing to do a custom order for me on this spoiler in Gloss Black. Fast forward 2 months and the spoiler finally arrived this weekend!

As much as I was excited to have found the spoiler I wanted and in the finish I wanted - I was a little apprehensive about the removal of the spoiler that was on the car. With the car being 2.5 years old - that meant the OEM spoiler was on there for the same amount of time and the 'glue' holding it to the car was quite well settled (if that makes sense).

I have seen many posts online where people have removed factory fitted OEM spoilers and found that betalink adhesive has been used or they have been unable to remove the double sided tape without any issues.

With this in the back of my mind and the rain just starting, I pressed on with the removal and hoped for the best. Firstly I used a heat gun set on the lower setting and 'warmed up' the spoiler. The aim here was to soften up the adhesive. I then applied some Gtechniq Tar and Glue Remover. Starting at one end, I used some dental floss to cut away at the adhesive - to my delight, double sided tape had been used. It took quite a while to cut through the tape as the dental floss has the tendency to break easily.

With the spoiler finally removed, it left behind alot of tape still stuck to the car. I soaked this in the glue remover and applied some more heat but switched to a hair dryer instead. The trick I found here is that if you heat and roll the tape in one direction, it comes of quite easily. Once all the tape was removed, I applied some Meguairs Compound to where the spoiler sat and was able to smooth out anything that was left behind.

To install the new spoiler to the car, I opted not to use double sided tape and use the adhesive option. As the spoiler sits on the end of the boot lid instead of on top of it - I felt this was the better option to secure it on.

As shown in the pictures below, It's been set in place and held with lots of masking tape to ensure its gets a good solid contact to the car.

Plan is to remove the tape at some point tomorrow morning and clean of any residue.

Few pictures below of the various steps involved. I don't usually ramble on in detail about the various modifications that I do - however I felt this one required a bit more thought and effort in the process, more so than normal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-08-2020, 06:07 AM   #52
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Spoiler - (Part 2)

Tape all removed, compound and glue remover used to remove the residue. Polished and waxed.

I think this spoiler looks so much better! Really happy with the look and the fitment.

I didn't say what adhesive I used before. I was looking at getting the Betalink kit, but came across the Evostik Adhesive pictured below! Sets in 15 mins and fully cures in 24 hours. I left it for 2 days due to the cold weather conditions. The adhesive does say it can be used in any conditions and even when the surfaces are wet.

Few pictures taken last night...
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Jas387200.50
UKF302524.00
      12-09-2020, 04:54 AM   #53
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Some more pictures taken in daylight...
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #54
Moozin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Quote:
Looks good mate. I bought M4 CS style from ebay and got it repainted but it still did not turn out to be that good. Secondly got someone else to do it and they were adamant that they will be able to fit it on top of existing spoiler even though i told them that even though it sits ok on top but will not stay stuck. Anyway they installed the spoiler on top of the existing on and it started coming off as soon as i started driving home, long story short, in the end I am still stuck with the old SCRATCHED spoiler and scratched boot lid and cursing myself that why did i not just do it myself. It looked nice though when it was on, Photos attached.

Anyway, as you have mentioned yourself finding a Gloss black one is an issue and i started looking again to get a new spoiler and came across this M5 Pro on as an option but all available in CF only. May I please ask where did you get this one manfucatured from and how much?

I may just get the CF one as this will match with CF look exhaust tips i have got now, even though rest of the car has a Gloss Black theme going on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #55
Moozin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcf22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moozin View Post
Looks good, I am looking at Quad Exhaust options instead. It is proving difficult to add Quad tips on factory backbox. The better option is to part with PCW Modified Backbox and get a custom exhaust system, in 2 minds really. I might go down the route to getting custom system and sell PCW modified backbox as people are having to wait months to get it done. I love the exhaust sound at the moment so it is proving to be very difficult to decide but current tips are an eye sore to me specially with M5 CS style diffuser.

Quads can be welded on existing pipes out of the backbox but it's a weird angle and the finish achieved does not look great from underneath. I am after a permanent solution allowing me to change the tips whenever i like to the different ones. Photos of the finish of a welded on tip attached below.

In terms of the tint, I have put medium on the rear lights and light at the front ones as a trial. Not bad in my opinion. Done MSS springs yet ? My H&R's + spacers + M4 CS Style spoiler is getting installed after couple of days and then Saturday is booked with the Exhaust shop to explore the options about quad-exhaust tips. In the process of choosing a catted downpipe as well :-D
off topic but where did you find that rear diffuser?
Hi Pal,

Got it from Xenonz.co.uk

Everywhere else was out of stock and generally for £200 upwards. On Xenonz it was up for £107 including vat but they wanted to charge £60 for next day TNT shipping, so all in all still cheaper than next best option provided if in stock. But I saved the delivery cost and got it picked up from them for free.

I believe it is even on further discount for like £84 including vat + shipping.

https://www.xenonz.co.uk/store/p1422...-diffuser.html
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 02:43 PM   #56
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Looks good mate. I bought M4 CS style from ebay and got it repainted but it still did not turn out to be that good. Secondly got someone else to do it and they were adamant that they will be able to fit it on top of existing spoiler even though i told them that even though it sits ok on top but will not stay stuck. Anyway they installed the spoiler on top of the existing on and it started coming off as soon as i started driving home, long story short, in the end I am still stuck with the old SCRATCHED spoiler and scratched boot lid and cursing myself that why did i not just do it myself. It looked nice though when it was on, Photos attached.

Anyway, as you have mentioned yourself finding a Gloss black one is an issue and i started looking again to get a new spoiler and came across this M5 Pro on as an option but all available in CF only. May I please ask where did you get this one manfucatured from and how much?

I may just get the CF one as this will match with CF look exhaust tips I have got now, even though rest of the car has a Gloss Black theme going on.
Cheers mate, I'm really pleased with it. I tried to stick it down with the tape it came with but as it sits on the edge of the boot lid it came off within 30 secs! I had to use adhesive in the end which was £10 from Screwfix. Just checked it today after a week of motorway driving and rain and all is good.

Here is the link to the Carbon one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254677299019?ul_noapp=true

I messaged the company and asked if they would do it for me in Gloss Black. They said £100 delivered, but took around 6 weeks which isn't too bad coming from China.

Appreciate 1
Moozin31.00
      12-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #57
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Progress so far (with pics)

15mm Eibach Spacers (F & R)
MSS Height Adjustable Springs (30mm/25mm)
Gloss Black OEM Grille
Gloss Black M Wing Badges
Gloss Black 540i Badge
Gloss Black xDrive Badge
Gloss Black M Style Mirror Caps
Gloss Black M Perf Pro Style Spoiler
Gloss Black Painted Exhaust Tips
Wrapped Radiator Bars
Stainless Steel Pedal Covers
BimmerCode
50w CREE LED Reverse Bulbs
Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Protection
Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour Protection
Gardx - 2 Stage Protection Sealant
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #58
DNYC1919
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540ix

Garage List
2021 540IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you vinyl wrap the 540i and x drive emblems in a Matte?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 02:31 AM   #59
Apl530D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 530d

Quote:

I may just get the CF one as this will match with CF look exhaust tips i have got now, even though rest of the car has a Gloss Black theme going on.
Hi

Your exhaust and splitter look great.

can you tell me what items they are?

Is your exhaust a full system, or have you just changed the tail pipes?

Thanks

Antony
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 08:15 AM   #60
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNYC1919 View Post
Quote:
Did you vinyl wrap the 540i and x drive emblems in a Matte?
They are both gloss black (well supposed to be!)
from eBay.

The xDrive badge was primed, painted and laquered.

Under £20 for both. Let me know if you want the links to them items

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 08:20 AM   #61
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apl330d View Post
Quote:

Hi

Thanks

Antony
The diffuser is an aftermarket M Performance one in Gloss Black. I Still have the bottom piece to go on. I will do this once I have the backbox modified in January to make some more noise.

The exhaust is the stock one that came with the car. I spray painted the tips gloss black. Looked at getting the OEM black ones, but the £102 each price put me off!

Spray paint cost £30 delivered. Used Foliatec which includes the Primer, spray, laquer and hardner all in one. Left to cure for 7 days.

Diffuser Post:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26848740

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26851347

Exhaust Tip Post:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26882547

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:18 AM   #62
Apl530D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 530d

Quote:
The diffuser is an aftermarket M Performance one in Gloss Black. I Still have the bottom piece to go on. I will do this once I have the backbox modified in January to make some more noise.

The exhaust is the stock one that came with the car. I spray painted the tips gloss black. Looked at getting the OEM black ones, but the £102 each price put me off!

Spray paint cost £30 delivered. Used Foliatec which includes the Primer, spray, laquer and hardner all in one. Left to cure for 7 days.

Diffuser Post:

Exhaust Tip Post:

Sorry June

I was referring to Moozing's car.

I really like the twin round exhaust tips on their car.
They look like Akrapovic items.... £££

Your's looks great too though!

Last edited by Apl530D; 12-15-2020 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 10:45 AM   #63
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Diffuser Post:

Exhaust Tip Post:

Sorry June

I was referring to Moozing's car.

I really like the twin round exhaust tips on their car.
They look like Akrapovic items.... £££

Your's looks great too though!
ooops!

My mistake!

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #64
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Detailing...

Recently purchased alot of products from the Adam's Polishes range. I've heard good things about Adam's so wanted to give it a try. I've used Autoglym and Meguiars products for many years now. More recently, I've found Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel to be one of the best wheel cleaners that I've used. Wheels have been coated with Gtechniq C5 so they are relatively easy to clean. Due to the poor weather, I've only been able to use the wheel products.

I have to say i'm quite impressed with them. The wheel cleaner did what the Bilt Hamber one would do - which is clean very well with minimal agitation. The tyre shine is very glossy which is good too. Time will tell how long it lasts. I used the Slick & Slide detailer to enhance the shine on the wheels. Overall - very happy so far. Looking forward to trying the other products soon.

Was able to get 20% on BF so made it worth while buying the bigger Gallons too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 06:42 PM   #65
Moozin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Diffuser and Exhaust

Quote:
Hi

Thanks

Antony
Hi mate,

Apologies for delayed response. so the Diffuser is from :

https://www.xenonz.co.uk/store/p1422...-diffuser.html

Exhaust is a Custom made valvetronic Axle back system with 3.5" Akrapovic tail pipes. Check here :-) Put a headset on to get a better feel of the sound in the end.

Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #66
Moozin
Enlisted Member
Rep

PCW Exhaust

Quote:

Diffuser Post:

Exhaust Tip Post:

Hi mate,

So contacted the same seller on Ebay as you recommended for splitter and have sent 'em £100 for the gloss black one

In terms of your exhaust modification, I know you have waited enough already but my PCW modified backbox with original tailpipes and flap control is up for sale which is a straight weld on the mid-pipe. so if you want to keep both i.e., your existing one as a spare and PCW modified one on the car then give me a shout. I am at the point of no return with the custom exhaust so cant go back to OEM look/sound anyway. check the listing :

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9172168013732/
Appreciate 0