BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis ST XA suspension - thoughts and alternatives

06-17-2023, 03:21 AM   #1
Mikej0h
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i G30 2018

I'm currently owning a nice G30 from 2018 with VDC, lowering springs from Eibach and a LPG fueling system in the back (+/- 150kg).

I'm in the market of replacement, as I notice a few things:
- At random the VDC struts are throwing an error
- Noticed at certain bumps I'm hitting the end stop (with 1 or more people in the back) - after the LPG install this became more prominent

My thoughts are to coding out VDC as I find those struts expensive while they don't bring as much adjustability as i hoped.
So I'm in the market for a new set of non-VDC (regular) adjustable coilovers.

I've found ST XA, a decent coilover (from KW), which a high rear axle load capability.
The KW v2 also looks interesting, but has a lower rear load rating. The V3 is too expensive.
Another option is the Bilstein B16 PSS10, but I've read alot of horror stories about them (mainly requiring rebuilds).

My main focus is:
- Lowering a bit (Similar to the Eibach pro height)
- Maintaining comfort (ofcourse with a bit of compromise, due to lowering or similar to)

Any thoughts or other sets I would need to take into consideration?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 02:39 PM   #2
Mikej0h
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i G30 2018

Nobody tried these?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 06:52 PM   #3
430Scud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550iX,430 Scud,E39 540Msport

I have some experience with the Bilstein B14 PSS and the ST XA, though on an E39.
The PSS front struts have the inverted cartridge design. The problem with this is the strut is running on a slider bearing surface inside the strut. Every 24k miles my slider bearings would wear out and the cartridge would make a knocking noise as it moved side to side inside the strut. After three rebuilds, Bilstein gave up and refunded my money (at over 100k miles, I was ready to send in again for the knocking noise), and I bought the ST XA. (note the Bilsteins never lost damping, even with 100k+ miles, just the annoying knocking noise in the front struts). The PPS road very harshly, but I got used to it...handling was phenomenal.

With the ST XA, I had a left front strut leak and have to be sent in for repair after about 25k miles. Then maybe 10k later the right front spring sagged, and required replacement. All covered under warranty but a hassle and puts the car out of commission. I'm still on the ST XA on my E39 540 M-Sport after another 20k miles or so have passed...so far, so good.
Appreciate 0