BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Adaptive suspension Question

08-02-2023, 06:08 AM   #1
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Adaptive suspension Question

Following on from my earlier post I have a different question please. I'm a novice with adaptive suspension so excue me if I'm being stupid! coming from 'S' drive and standard springs.

2020 540ix-drive G31 - with adaptive suspension and I'm trying to understand the functionallity of all the modes.

In comfort - is exactly that, if I press the adaptive button it stiffens the suspension but stays in comfort but then if I go to sports mode the suspension is stiffer with the other different settings and in sports + similar but gererally more agressive.

However if I'm in sports / sports+ and select adaptive it all goes back to comfort mode highlighting its in adaptive.

So is adaptive constantly varying the suspension in comfort, so if i push on harder in bends then it stiffens it more, but if not so hard it's having a bit softer?

Does that mean that in sport the adaptive is just 1 stage stiffer consistantly and in sports+ like 2 stages consistantly stiffer or is it still being adaptive in those modes with a different stiffness starting point?

I realise that there is Sport individual, but just have that in comfort settings at the moment so the start/stop doesn't keep cutting in /out every second in creeping traffic.

Any advice gratefully received
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 12:46 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

My understanding is that there are 2 suspension profiles
Comfort and sport
Eco pro and comfort will have suspension set to comfort
Sport and sport plus will have suspension set to sport
Eco pro individual and sport individual will have it set to whatever you have selected
Adaptive will change suspension based upon how you are driving,
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2119.00
      08-04-2023, 02:34 AM   #3
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
My understanding is that there are 2 suspension profiles
Comfort and sport
Eco pro and comfort will have suspension set to comfort
Sport and sport plus will have suspension set to sport
Eco pro individual and sport individual will have it set to whatever you have selected
Adaptive will change suspension based upon how you are driving,
Thanks AP so the adaptive is a varying suspension stiffness from comfort setting throught to sport setting depending on how I'm driving at the time (in comfort mode) and sport suspension is the same in S or S+ being just a single stiffer setting at a fixed rate?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 02:59 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

My understanding is that in adaptive mode the suspension will adjust as necessary based upon your driving style
I’ve not really used adaptive mode myself so can’t reall comment too much on it.
I think it also takes into account route information from the satnav so it knows if you are on a motorway or a twisty road

Try it out and see if it’s to your liking
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 03:50 AM   #5
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
My understanding is that in adaptive mode the suspension will adjust as necessary based upon your driving style
I’ve not really used adaptive mode myself so can’t reall comment too much on it.
I think it also takes into account route information from the satnav so it knows if you are on a motorway or a twisty road

Try it out and see if it’s to your liking
Thanks AP. Tried it a few times but not knowing what it's actually supposed to do, it's difficult to determine.

Interesting that you say adapts to your driving style and info from Sat Nav, so seems it could be like throttle response adapting to your driving style over time. I was sort of hoping that it was adapting to real time driving, how quick your were going and how hard you pushed it around the twisties.

I'll look in to this some more.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 09:56 AM   #6
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
Thanks AP. Tried it a few times but not knowing what it's actually supposed to do, it's difficult to determine.

Interesting that you say adapts to your driving style and info from Sat Nav, so seems it could be like throttle response adapting to your driving style over time. I was sort of hoping that it was adapting to real time driving, how quick your were going and how hard you pushed it around the twisties.

I'll look in to this some more.
correct, try taking the same bend but on adaptive and on comfort. you might be able to feel it tightening up if you take it hard enough.
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2119.00
      08-31-2023, 10:14 PM   #7
Magnit
Rep
Drives: BMW 540ix 2023

Have the same adaptive suspension. Still trying understand real world difference between Sport and Sport+ modes.

Manual says:
The following systems are affected, for instance:
▷ Engine characteristics.
▷ Steptronic transmission.
▷ Adaptive suspension.
▷ Adaptive Drive.
▷ Active roll stabilization.
▷ Adaptive M chassis.
▷ Adaptive M Suspension Professional
▷ Integral Active Steering.
▷ Display in the instrument cluster.
▷ Cruise control.
▷ Backrest width for comfort seats.

The SPORT driving mode is a dynamic setting
for more agility with an optimized suspension.

The SPORT PLUS driving mode is a dynamic
setting for maximum agility with an adjusted
drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 01:08 PM   #8
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
It’s not just the suspension settings that change, it’s steering, gearbox, throttle & suspension.
I’ve taken to driving mostly in adaptive now & fuel consumption around town has gone up from 16-17 mpg when flicking between comfort & sport + to 21-22mpg in adaptive, not as good as eco pro but I find in ep that if I need to pull away quickly it’s lacking in power.

Only slightly iterating thing is it always reverts to comfort but I’m getting used to remembering to put it in adaptive at the start of each journey.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 07:17 AM   #9
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
It’s not just the suspension settings that change, it’s steering, gearbox, throttle & suspension.
I’ve taken to driving mostly in adaptive now & fuel consumption around town has gone up from 16-17 mpg when flicking between comfort & sport + to 21-22mpg in adaptive, not as good as eco pro but I find in ep that if I need to pull away quickly it’s lacking in power.

Only slightly iterating thing is it always reverts to comfort but I’m getting used to remembering to put it in adaptive at the start of each journey.
very interesting, thought adaptive was only for the suspension, no? did you read that somewhere or just from your driving experience?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 10:28 AM   #10
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
If you're comfortable doing so, it's easy to code your car to start in Adaptive by default. I did that with Bimmercode.
Appreciate 1