BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Porsche To Leave LMP1

07-28-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Porsche To Leave LMP1

Porsche is leaving WEC and LMP 1 ,World Endurance Championship, in favor of Formula E ,a decision which makes me upset because LMP 1 category is my favorite one in car racing and losing one major contender is something a sour creme to taste so to speak .
It only leaves Toyota in pole position to be a major contender in LMP 1 and I think if they can't win this time Le Mans they would never
      07-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
Porsche is leaving WEC and LMP 1 ,World Endurance Championship, in favor of Formula E ,a decision which makes me upset because LMP 1 category is my favorite one in car racing and losing one major contender is something a sour creme to taste so to speak .
It only leaves Toyota in pole position to be a major contender in LMP 1 and I think if they can't win this time Le Mans they would never
It's actually time to bury LMP1. Clearly factory teams aren't interested in prototypes, just GTE. Unless they can come up with a rules package for prototypes that engages factory teams, keeping LMP 1 alive makes no sense. With one team, it's not racing (it really needs a minimum of three teams for a class to make any sense).
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Does anyone even watch Formula E? I can't get over the noise. Worse than nails on a caulk board.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Does anyone even watch Formula E? I can't get over the noise. Worse than nails on a caulk board.
Boardwalk bumper cars?
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Here's hoping that Porsche at a minimum enters F1 as an engine supplier.

Merc vs. Porsche power anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

I doubt they will make F1 engine
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2690.00
      08-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
Here's hoping that Porsche at a minimum enters F1 as an engine supplier.

Merc vs. Porsche power anyone?
VW is cutting motorsport costs due to dieselgate, I highly doubt they'd want to invest the hundreds of millions it takes to have a works team or even just an engine supplier after exiting LMP1 twice.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

I totally get them leaving LMP1 for F-E ... regardless of what racing fans feel about F-E at the moment ... electric is really shaping up to be the future of the auto industry (for good or bad).

The use of trickle down technology has been a driving force behind factory racing teams for decades, so investing now in F-E is a smart idea. When you look at it, F1 isn't too far off themselves with their most recent mandate of hybrid engines. I'm sure Indy and other US based racing segments will go kicking and screaming before it goes full electric ... but I can see them taking the "Hybrid" approach as F1 has sometime in the next decade. But for now ... it's hip to be investing in electric.

There's a real push to do away with petrol/gas engines within the next 15-20 years, perhaps less if the technology can done cheaper and more accessible to the masses. Although I think it's all a bunch of "hog-wash" and likely has to do more about "political concerns" more than global warming ... people seem to be hell-bent on ditching fossil fuel based autos.

And frankly ... I could never relate to the LMP1 and 2 series ... although they're super cool, I don't much care.
Appreciate 0