BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Removing CarPlay

01-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #1
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30

Removing CarPlay

Installed CarPlay via a usb. A couple weeks back, the car went in and the dealer had to do a software update. The update failed because it had issues with “coding / CarPlay”. Is there any way to remove CarPlay and restore the unit back to factory so the dealer can do the update?

Last edited by creativ101; 01-23-2020 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativ101 View Post
Installed CarPlay via a usb. A couple weeks back, the car went in and the dealer had to do a software update. The update failed because it had issues with “coding / CarPlay”. Is there any way to remove CarPlay and restore the unit back to factory so the dealer can do the update?
I would call BMW assist since it is now free on select vehicles to see if yours qualifies. Once they add it to your vehicle's profile with an FSC code I would imagine they would be able to do the update.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
Installed CarPlay via a usb. A couple weeks back, the car went in and the dealer had to do a software update. The update failed because it had issues with "coding / CarPlay". Is there any way to remove CarPlay and restore the unit back to factory so the dealer can do the update?
I would call BMW assist since it is now free on select vehicles to see if yours qualifies. Once they add it to your vehicle's profile with an FSC code I would imagine they would be able to do the update.
Quote:
Quote:
Installed CarPlay via a usb. A couple weeks back, the car went in and the dealer had to do a software update. The update failed because it had issues with "coding / CarPlay". Is there any way to remove CarPlay and restore the unit back to factory so the dealer can do the update?
Mine doesn't qualify.

If I bought CarPlay from bmw, would the dealer still be able to see that I previously CarPlay via a usb?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mine doesn't qualify.

If I bought CarPlay from bmw, would the dealer still be able to see that I previously CarPlay via a usb?
I honestly don't know, because I don't know how it's installed using the USB stick. I would imagine that if you purchased it from BMW that your car would be coded correctly. Not sure.

With that being said, CarPlay cannot be installed over USB on the newer firmware versions.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Not really bothered about having CarPlay anymore. Just need it gone with no trace of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #6
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Dealer cant tmdo the update because usb activations for Carplay are not oem BMW fsc codes, rather than "cracked".

Contact the person you bought it from or you need to individually flash your HU back to stock with Esys.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2020, 05:48 PM   #7
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
Dealer cant tmdo the update because usb activations for Carplay are not oem BMW fsc codes, rather than "cracked".

Contact the person you bought it from or you need to individually flash your HU back to stock with Esys.
Can a repair pack with the oem fsc codes be reinstalled to ring it back to factory or must the hu be flashed AND then the indovidual fsc codes reimported?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Where can I get a fsc repair kit from for my vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I believe you can pull down the original codes for your vehicle using E-sys, but I have absolutely no experience using it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #10
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I believe you can pull down the original codes for your vehicle using E-sys, but I have absolutely no experience using it.
ThTs what I thought but apparently you can't.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #11
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0