BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Backing up All Codings and Retrofitted FSC

02-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #1
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 520 1.6lt

Question Backing up All Codings and Retrofitted FSC

Greetings,

I own a late 2017 G30 with shipment ISTA of S15A-17-07-503 and current ISTA of S15A-19-11-534.

I wold like to backup all data on all ECUs as their current/coded states. How can I do it with E-Sys?

Also I have SLI FSC retrofitted to the car. If possible I would like to take a backup of it too.

I'm coding lots of things such as VIM, Bluetooth+, modifying each ambient light color option, heated seats, sport+ driving modes, etc. and it took hours to change lots of parameters. Car is still under guarantee and I want to reset all settings before taking it to dealer (they may also update the ISTA in the future) and I don't want to code everything one by one for hours every time.

Finally which version of E-Sys is most suitable for G30 with current ISTA of S15A-19-11-534? I have 3.27.1 right now and there is 1 undefined folder out of under Body Domain Controller ECU. I'm new to E-Sys and I don't want to mess things up. I've just purchased EsysX now and it doesn't support versions later than 3.33

Thanks for your time and support.

Last edited by ejlover06; 02-24-2020 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Easiest way to get your backup of the ECU's is to connect in Esys, then Control-select all of the ones that have a cafd file, then click "Read Coding Data". When you do this, it generates a current .ncd file of each ECU as it is currently coded. You would then go in to the E-Sys folder where they are stored (don't have my coding laptop with me to get the exact path, but I think it's something like "E-Sys/Data/CAF") and you can then just copy those into a different folder so you have them backed up.

As for the FSC Files, I know you can manually enter each address to back those up, but I am not sure if there is a way to save all of them at once. There may be some guides out there that explain in better detail, but unfortunately I don't have an exact answer on that at the moment.

For the last question, I haven't really seen a difference between the two. I purchased esysx (with 3.27) for my G01 X3 as I had donated but hadn't gotten a response from tokenmaster, and used that just fine without any issues. During that time, I finally got a response, so since esysx wouldn't have been easily transferrable to my new laptop, I have been using ProLauncher (with 3.33) on my G30 and it has been fine as well. I haven't been able to get the "cheat sheet" function to work which was supposedly one of the perks of using ProLauncher over other methods.

Also, I'm not sure how dealers/service centers are in your part of the world, but they shouldn't care too much about coding/minor things like that unless they are super strict. I take mine into the dealer all the time with coding/retrofits intact, and have never had any issues.
Appreciate 1
ejlover06104.50
      02-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

I wouldnt suggest loading a backup of an older istep coding to new istep because there might be a chance something has changed. (Small but still there). So safer just recoding it all back.

If you have retrofitted SLI and have the "loaded" FSC no need to back it up once again as you can just load it again with esys FSC Comfort.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Easiest way to get your backup of the ECU's is to connect in Esys, then Control-select all of the ones that have a cafd file, then click "Read Coding Data". When you do this, it generates a current .ncd file of each ECU as it is currently coded. You would then go in to the E-Sys folder where they are stored (don't have my coding laptop with me to get the exact path, but I think it's something like "E-Sys/Data/CAF") and you can then just copy those into a different folder so you have them backed up.

As for the FSC Files, I know you can manually enter each address to back those up, but I am not sure if there is a way to save all of them at once. There may be some guides out there that explain in better detail, but unfortunately I don't have an exact answer on that at the moment.

For the last question, I haven't really seen a difference between the two. I purchased esysx (with 3.27) for my G01 X3 as I had donated but hadn't gotten a response from tokenmaster, and used that just fine without any issues. During that time, I finally got a response, so since esysx wouldn't have been easily transferrable to my new laptop, I have been using ProLauncher (with 3.33) on my G30 and it has been fine as well. I haven't been able to get the "cheat sheet" function to work which was supposedly one of the perks of using ProLauncher over other methods.

Also, I'm not sure how dealers/service centers are in your part of the world, but they shouldn't care too much about coding/minor things like that unless they are super strict. I take mine into the dealer all the time with coding/retrofits intact, and have never had any issues.
Thanks so much. I'll check it as soon as I have the token. I've purchased EsysX today but they still didn't activate the download links in my account
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
I wouldnt suggest loading a backup of an older istep coding to new istep because there might be a chance something has changed. (Small but still there). So safer just recoding it all back.

If you have retrofitted SLI and have the "loaded" FSC no need to back it up once again as you can just load it again with esys FSC Comfort.
That was one of my concerns But If I could have a backup I could make a comparison of each changed parameter after a ISTA update so recoding process would be much much faster

But first I need to find a way to export all CAFD files into Excel like some members did but I have no idea how to do it

FSC code has been registered by remote coding. So I don't have the files at my computer. That's why I need to copy them from the cars ECU if such a thing is possible I think they will be deleted after an ISTA update
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #6
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlover06 View Post
That was one of my concerns But If I could have a backup I could make a comparison of each changed parameter after a ISTA update so recoding process would be much much faster

But first I need to find a way to export all CAFD files into Excel like some members did but I have no idea how to do it

FSC code has been registered by remote coding. So I don't have the files at my computer. That's why I need to copy them from the cars ECU if such a thing is possible I think they will be deleted after an ISTA update
Once you Read Coding Data, then go in like you are going to modify the coding. Once it opens, on the top left, go to File, and there is an option to "Save as FWL". Do this for each ECU you want to compare. From there, you can apparently use excel to compare, however I downloaded a free program called CompareIt which shows you both the new and old file side by side and highlights what is different in each one. The only downside is that it can be time consuming, as you have to make FWL files of the originals as well in order to compare them both.
Appreciate 1
ejlover06104.50
      02-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #7
Shatter
Mr. Nobody
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:

E: roxxor beat me to it.
Retrofits: None
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #8
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Download Ncd Cafd Tool and it will help you with what you need.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:04 AM   #9
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Once you Read Coding Data, then go in like you are going to modify the coding. Once it opens, on the top left, go to File, and there is an option to "Save as FWL". Do this for each ECU you want to compare. From there, you can apparently use excel to compare, however I downloaded a free program called CompareIt which shows you both the new and old file side by side and highlights what is different in each one. The only downside is that it can be time consuming, as you have to make FWL files of the originals as well in order to compare them both.
I was considering writing a macro in VBA for Excel but thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely give it a try As soon as EsysX send me my license

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
Download Ncd Cafd Tool and it will help you with what you need.
CAFD Tool is too old it didn't read any of my CAFD files from G30
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #10
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Question

Should all the ECU readings for CAFD files and coding of all existing ECUs should be made while the engine is running or in diagnose mode?

Esys can't read all FSC files from ECUs (can only read 1 ECU) while engine is running. But it reads 3 ECUs while its in diagnose mode. So in which mode can I read all the ECUs?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:28 AM   #11
Shatter
Mr. Nobody
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Should all the ECU readings for CAFD files and coding of all existing ECUs should be made while the engine is running or in diagnose mode?

Esys can't read all FSC files from ECUs (can only read 1 ECU) while engine is running. But it reads 3 ECUs while its in diagnose mode. So in which mode can I read all the ECUs?
You can read all the ecus in diagnose mode or while engine is running, fdl coding is also possible while running except for DME. Running the engine also prevents from draining the battery, it's up to you really.
Retrofits: None
Appreciate 1
ejlover06104.50
      02-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #12
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatter View Post
You can read all the ecus in diagnose mode or while engine is running, fdl coding is also possible while running except for DME. Running the engine also prevents from draining the battery, it's up to you really.
Coded all while engine is running today thanks

Yes also DME because I forgot about it and engine stopped while coding and get an error in esys I was about to had a heart attack Then activated the diagnose mode and code it again without any problems
Appreciate 0