BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions Steering Wheel Retrofit G20 or G30 heating

07-31-2020, 07:28 AM   #1
deeJayOg
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Steering Wheel Retrofit G20 or G30 heating

As I kept using tons of disinfectant because of the COVID thing, I ended up making my 2018 G30 M steering wheel super bad looking. The leather just started to peel off.

I decided to change it. Now the easy part I was thinking of , is I can get a very similar wheel only (without airbag) for a decent price. I'll just pop in my old airbag and that's it. No coding, no nothing. It should work plug and play.

BUT.

I was thinking of two alternatives:

1. Install the same G30 M Steering Wheel with Heating as well. Since now the button is on the wheel itself, I belive I don't need to change the SZL like for F cars.
I understand the wiring might be already there as part of the Driving Assistant (not plus) package that I already have on the car. So it might be just coding needed. Any inputs on this?

2. Install the G20 M Steering Wheel - but I'm not sure they will be compatible. What I do like is that FINALLY I have a "Next Track" button on the wheel itself on the G20. I have not found anything concrete yet as if it can work with coding. Some people say it will not, as the G30 2018 is using the ID6 software while G20 has the new ID7.
Anyone have any clue on this one? - Although this option is more expensive, as I'd end up buying the Airbag as well in this case.
      08-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
deeJayOg
Rep

Nobody?
      08-19-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
moscab
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 5 Series 530d MY2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeJayOg View Post
As I kept using tons of disinfectant because of the COVID thing, I ended up making my 2018 G30 M steering wheel super bad looking. The leather just started to peel off.

I decided to change it. Now the easy part I was thinking of , is I can get a very similar wheel only (without airbag) for a decent price. I'll just pop in my old airbag and that's it. No coding, no nothing. It should work plug and play.

BUT.

I was thinking of two alternatives:

1. Install the same G30 M Steering Wheel with Heating as well. Since now the button is on the wheel itself, I belive I don't need to change the SZL like for F cars.
I understand the wiring might be already there as part of the Driving Assistant (not plus) package that I already have on the car. So it might be just coding needed. Any inputs on this?

2. Install the G20 M Steering Wheel - but I'm not sure they will be compatible. What I do like is that FINALLY I have a "Next Track" button on the wheel itself on the G20. I have not found anything concrete yet as if it can work with coding. Some people say it will not, as the G30 2018 is using the ID6 software while G20 has the new ID7.
Anyone have any clue on this one? - Although this option is more expensive, as I'd end up buying the Airbag as well in this case.
you can have a g30 post July 2019 wheel with the ID7 buttons
mine has the next and previous track buttons, very handy indeed.
I'm not sure whenever it needs coding however I'm convinced you need to activate (code) the heating steering wheel availability as when we switch it on, an info message appears in the dash.

On a side query, do all g30 MY2020 M-Sport steering wheels have the vibration capability?
mine did not came with the Lane Departure Warning, would be interesting to find out if that could be codable alone
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 04:32 AM   #4
deeJayOg
Rep

As far as I know they don't all have vibration. There are though 2 types. Those coming in with Driving Assistant have Lane Departure Warning and they do vibrate.
Those coming with Driving Assistant Plus have Lane Departure Warning (with the button on the steering as well), since it's also actively correcting.
So if you do order the car with the M Sport Wheel but none of the Driving Assistant packs, you probably will have a wheel without vibration.

The MY2019+ for G30 wheel is indeed a better option, but the issues still stay the same as I have the old ID6 system
      09-09-2020, 07:26 AM   #5
The Zimmer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 Touring

I have a full option g30 wheel for sale heating touch and vibration.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #6
flo_sb
Rep
Drives: 540xi G30, 330i G20

Hey there compatrioate, what I can tell you is that if you have driver assistant plus like i do, the new model steering wheel won't work out of the box for cruise control and "wheel-auto-steering". I don't know if it can be made to work, looking into it now.
Next-prev track buttons will work out of the box.
Heated steering wheel retrofit doesn't work out of the box, but may be solvable with a control unit upgrade. I'll know in about a month.
If you want headache mode off, I'd advise that you stick with the old model that we both have in our idrive 6 cars.
More info here: https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post27192509
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2023, 04:42 PM   #7
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Does anyone know if the Lci steering buttons can fit on a pre lci wheel (if I change the trim to a lci trim?)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 11:25 PM   #8
wzg30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530I

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
Does anyone know if the Lci steering buttons can fit on a pre lci wheel (if I change the trim to a lci trim?)
You can but need the right one, pn 61318053151, link I find on google ( https://www.msparts.eu/en/auto-parts...om-kolese.html )
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 12:45 AM   #9
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Perfect thank you. Can you confirm Is it Plug and play? No issues with coding etc?
Are all the mountings the same (no modifications required)

My pre lci wheel has heat function but that’s it. Just standard cruise control ( no other functions such as lane assist etc). Is there a different part number if I don’t have these functions (as won’t need additional buttons)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 07:55 AM   #10
wzg30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530I

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
Perfect thank you. Can you confirm Is it Plug and play? No issues with coding etc?
Are all the mountings the same (no modifications required)

My pre lci wheel has heat function but that’s it. Just standard cruise control ( no other functions such as lane assist etc). Is there a different part number if I don’t have these functions (as won’t need additional buttons)
Yeah, you can just get the base one which all over eBay, and yes, plug n play, no coding need.
Appreciate 0