BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications 540I Mperformance exhaust .. underwhelming

08-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #23
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjrk View Post
I'm loving it...i really feel that the MPPSK takes a great luxury car and instills a palpable amount of that old BMW sport that has been missing lately. Sound of exhaust is not overdone between idle and 3500-4k rpm (deeper tone, more volume than stock with subtle burbles and pops) but above 4k rpm, it really comes alive. 5k rpm throttle lifts gives a handful of loud "machine gun shots" which turn some heads and full throttle upshifts give a great shove and blat from the exhaust. Windows down definitely allows you to hear exhaust more (perhaps too much sound-deadening in the g30). Ive done some casual quiet backroad launch control starts and rolling accelerations....timed 0-60mph at 4.2 sec average, best was 4.1, but most were 4.2 and 4.3. Passing power is better than stock...easy to blow well past the speedlimit (such as passing car doing 50mph in a 55mph zone, drop to 3rd gear and floor it...easy to get to 85 or 90mph in a few seconds). I would highly recommend the MPPSK...if you want old BMW passion in addition to mini-7-series lux/comfort, you can't go wrong. 540i is a great car....540i with MPPSK is a great BMW.
docjrk - Would you mind telling me how much you paid for your MPPSK installed? I was just quoted a price from a local BMW dealer that seems to be very high.

Power and Sound Kit ……….$2410
Exhaust tips………………………. $527
Exhaust trim panel…………… $636
Labor to install kit…………….$1414.40
Taxes and shop supplies….. $340
Total…………………………………$5327.40
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #24
docjrk
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i xdrive M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Dog View Post
docjrk - Would you mind telling me how much you paid for your MPPSK installed? I was just quoted a price from a local BMW dealer that seems to be very high.

Power and Sound Kit ……….$2410
Exhaust tips………………………. $527
Exhaust trim panel…………… $636
Labor to install kit…………….$1414.40
Taxes and shop supplies….. $340
Total…………………………………$5327.40
I paid $3900 and change...that included all parts, labor, and Maryland tax. I thought my price was very reasonable bc if you add up parts alone, it's about that much. I think my dealer got parts at dealer cost (or possibly ate the cost of bumper and tips bc that should really come with the package....stupid bmw)
Appreciate 1
Warp Ten627.00
      08-22-2018, 01:22 PM   #25
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

How is the MPPSK on the 540 different from the M Performance Exhaust standard on the M550ix?
      04-02-2019, 04:40 AM   #26
Gasman1962
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 840i Gran Coupe

I put the M Performance exhaust on last weekend on my 2018 540i XDrive with Sport package. Paid about $1600 for the parts and $500 to install. Sounds awesome! No rattles and no drone.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      04-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #27
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Any idea why the MPPSK kit and/or the M Performance exhaust required different tips and/or a different diffuser? Is there not any way to just add that exhaust using the original body panels and tips? Almost no other aftermarket exhausts require changes in body panels and supply their own tips in the process--Bob
      04-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #28
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
Any idea why the MPPSK kit and/or the M Performance exhaust required different tips and/or a different diffuser? Is there not any way to just add that exhaust using the original body panels and tips? Almost no other aftermarket exhausts require changes in body panels and supply their own tips in the process--Bob

The exhaust tips on the MPPSK are much larger than the stock tips so they don't fit within the stock bumper trim.
      04-03-2019, 09:25 AM   #29
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The exhaust tips on the MPPSK are much larger than the stock tips so they don't fit within the stock bumper trim.
Thanks for that; essentially what I assumed. Posted this in another section, but thought I would also check here. I am interested in an M Performance exhaust or maybe the MPPSK for my 2019 540xi but but I have a few questions that maybe some of you more knowledgeable folks could answer. First, I have not been able to get a clear idea of what is actually included in the price of the exhaust. Is it just the rear muffler, or the entire cat-back system? (I understand I will need exhaust finishers and the rear valance also). Looks to me like just the muffler from the pictures and diagrams I have been able to see. Second, is the M Performance exhaust included in the MPPSK kit or is it separate? Again, it looks to me like it is part of the MPPSK kit but BMW's descriptions leave a bit to be desired. Lastly, does anyone know if one could get the quad M-type exhaust finishers and if so would they work with this set up instead of the trapezoidal ones? Thanks for your help! --Bob
      04-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #30
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
Thanks for that; essentially what I assumed. Posted this in another section, but thought I would also check here. I am interested in an M Performance exhaust or maybe the MPPSK for my 2019 540xi but but I have a few questions that maybe some of you more knowledgeable folks could answer. First, I have not been able to get a clear idea of what is actually included in the price of the exhaust. Is it just the rear muffler, or the entire cat-back system? (I understand I will need exhaust finishers and the rear valance also). Looks to me like just the muffler from the pictures and diagrams I have been able to see. Second, is the M Performance exhaust included in the MPPSK kit or is it separate? Again, it looks to me like it is part of the MPPSK kit but BMW's descriptions leave a bit to be desired. Lastly, does anyone know if one could get the quad M-type exhaust finishers and if so would they work with this set up instead of the trapezoidal ones? Thanks for your help! --Bob
Not sure I can answer all of the questions because I don't know that much about the M Performance exhaust by itself but I do know the MPPSK includes the exhaust, torque converter, and tune. The MPPSK by itself is a mild horsepower gain but the sound is fantastic without being overwhelming like some after market exhaust systems can be (IMO). I added a Dinan Stage 1 after installing the MPPSK and it added the horsepower I was looking for so me it has been a win win, both a little bit mild and a little bit wild depending on your right foot. As far as the M type exhaust tips paired with the cutout of a 540/550 bumper trim, I have seen pictures of that pairing and IMO it looks way wrong together. I hope that helps.
      04-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #31
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure I can answer all of the questions because I don't know that much about the M Performance exhaust by itself but I do know the MPPSK includes the exhaust, torque converter, and tune. The MPPSK by itself is a mild horsepower gain but the sound is fantastic without being overwhelming like some after market exhaust systems can be (IMO). I added a Dinan Stage 1 after installing the MPPSK and it added the horsepower I was looking for so me it has been a win win, both a little bit mild and a little bit wild depending on your right foot. As far as the M type exhaust tips paired with the cutout of a 540/550 bumper trim, I have seen pictures of that pairing and IMO it looks way wrong together. I hope that helps.
Thanks--that's what I wanted to know-Bob
      04-10-2019, 09:08 PM   #32
randspacific
Rep
Drives: 2017 540 M-sport

Mperformance exhaust

Mine rattled quite badly after a few days and had it back into service. They got the rattling to stop but was disappointed that the tips were pushed in (so I couldn't see the BMW Mperformance writing on the top) and made flush with the rear bumper.

I like the sound.

Current
2017 BMW 540i M-Sport
Previous
2014 BMW 435 M-Sport Xi
2011 BMW 335Xi
2013 BMW X3 3.0s
2011 BMW 328 Xi
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #33
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randspacific View Post
Mine rattled quite badly after a few days and had it back into service. They got the rattling to stop but was disappointed that the tips were pushed in (so I couldn't see the BMW Mperformance writing on the top) and made flush with the rear bumper.

I like the sound.
I had the same issue (tips pushed in too far) with my MPPSK when it was installed. I had the installer reset the tips back correctly just far enough to see the M Performance logo. Quick 10 minute fix.
      04-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #34
NCMMichael
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by randspacific View Post

I like the sound.
I had the same issue (tips pushed in too far) with my MPPSK when it was installed. I had the installer reset the tips back correctly just far enough to see the M Performance logo. Quick 10 minute fix.
I had the MPE installed on my '19 540i this week. It sounds fantastic but I wish it was a bit louder. My '16 640i was so much louder. The 540 is very reserved in comparison. I'm having the Dinan Elite v2 tune installed next Wednesday. We'll see if that wakes it up a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 08:35 AM   #35
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMMichael View Post
I had the MPE installed on my '19 540i this week. It sounds fantastic but I wish it was a bit louder. My '16 640i was so much louder. The 540 is very reserved in comparison. I'm having the Dinan Elite v2 tune installed next Wednesday. We'll see if that wakes it up a bit more.
I had my Dinan installed after my MPPSK also and yes it defiantly wakes up the exhaust sound under load.
      07-10-2019, 01:52 AM   #36
YoungOG08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
Hey Guys,

I have received my custom ordered 2018 Bluestone Metallic 540I finally.. it came in about 10 days ago.. I plan to do a big thread shortly.. time has not been on my side to do it the way I want ... but will be coming soon.

I made this thread to get others opinions on the Mperformance Exhaust.

I added this selection to my build as the stock exhaust is way too quiet and I prefer the larger tips of the MPE as well.

Before I get started and I will cover in my personal review and thread I DO LOVE THIS CAR.. IT IS AMAZING AND I AM MORE THAN THRILLED WITH IT with one small complaint... the sound

First time I heard my cars exhaust was at the dealer in the showroom as my Sales rep set in the seat cranked it up and pulled it out of the showroom floor. I stood in anticipation of it starting to hear the sound of the MPE upon starting I expected it to be a little bit deeper/ louder than it was especially in the showroom as most cars / motorcycles usually sound deeper in a closed in area.

After starting the car up again once I got home I got out to have a listen.. even had the wife drive the car to hear it take off. Not bad, just not good as in you would be hard pressed to think I spent extra money on the exhaust system. Also there is a very noticeable rattle upon start up I believe coming from the heat shield.. it goes away after about 30 seconds.. but is rather embarrassing as it sounds metallic and cheap.. Is there a fix to this or is this pretty normal?

didn't have that rattle on past cars of mine.

I primarily keep the car in Sport Plus, perhaps after I log some more miles on it break in will give a little deeper tone.

In short Its not my M but I was expecting a little more grunt... Honestly I find it very underwhelming and a tad unfulfilling... Granted I wanted smoother and more refined this round for my car choice I just thought adding the MPE would step it up another notch.

I added this to the build so no stock exhaust to change out to so I will be keeping this exhaust for the next 3 years.. however I am considering going ahead and placing my order tomorrow for the Stage 1 Dinan Tune.. hoping this will give it not only a little extra power but just a little extra sound as well.

For those of you with just MPE.. thoughts

and for those of you with MPPSK have you heard a 540 with just MPE.. any noticeable difference in sound ?

last... I have pretty much zero drone in comfort or sport... I have yet to put the car in Eco and don't foresee it being pressed anytime soon.

Look forward to hearing from those of you that have this exhaust.
Bmw probably want you to buy this so it can go away..CF Tailpipe Finisher
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #37
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I’ve got the stock exhaust on my 540 M sport and this is my daily driver so I prefer it to be on the quiet by fun side.

I was quite surprised as my son drive off on sport mode because it’s very quiet on the inside but sound pretty nice outside.

I’ve had modified cars, like my M3 with a sport exhaust and the drone was so bad at around town speeds I pulled it off. I had an Supra turbo and that was loud but it was a low mileage track attack monster so it did not bother me much.

I recently drove an M5 Competition on a track and that had an exhaust button that turned it into a popping burbling beast. I’d like that button to push as will 😊. But also the option to quiet it down which it does have as well.

Just my opinion, enjoy your car and there are kids of options to help you get what you want.
Appreciate 0