BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530e almost 1 yr owner issues

01-25-2019, 12:52 AM   #1
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

530e almost 1 yr owner issues

I'm huge 5er. 4th one. 2018 530e is my favorite to date. It drives like any other bmw Ive owned. Great car. I think there are some software issues. G30, unique to 530e? not sure. I read some threads that address a couple of things but I wanted to list (shouldnt have a list but here it is) of things I think are a problem.

1) Ive had the car lock automatically even with the key fob inside

2) Sometimes the headlights/running lights will remain on all night even set to auto

3) It will forget seat position and mirrors 2x weekly even though Its set to remember

I am realizing that others are having trouble so I posted. pls reply
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have had a few unpredictable gremlins. The other day my car was off. I opened the passenger door to put something in the car and the radio and dash turned on. A couple of times the seat and steering wheel didn't properly return to position.

But these are few and far between. But after 13 months, my 530e has been solid. Only gone into the shop for the one year servicing.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
Pimpf
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530e M-Sport, Soph Grey

I too have had some issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
A couple of times the seat and steering wheel didn't properly return to position.
I've occasionally (and only lately) had my wife's settings applied even though I have opened the car with my key. Its a tight squeeze and a pain in the proverbial, but as soon as I hit the 1 memory key all is well.

More of an issue, I have in the last month noticed that when I get into the car if it's below 5 degrees C then the battery range reads --- and I cannot use Max Battery mode (in fact sometimes it limits me to around 15% power as apposed to the standard 40%).

Occasionally it won't recognise my iPod and wont bring in Spotify or audible.

Other than that I love the car and I'm looking forward to the next 2 years with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
XxLHCxX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530i

Garage List
Are these issues only specifically to the 530e?? Or does the full petrol counterpart also have these issues??
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think the gremlins are endemic to all G30s and probably to most modern luxury cars with all the electronic features.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Haven’t had a single one of these issues

Number 3 could be due to your settings. There’s an option to remember last seating position. If you select that and change your position it will remember that and overwrite what you programmed.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      02-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #7
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
To the Op, I took my 2018 530e in for the issue regarding the headlights staying on. Technically in my case all of the lights stayed on all night. My SA advised that there was some type of software recall on my car and they were going to reprogram it. I had some other odd issues like it complains that my passenger seatbelt is not buckled despite nobody sitting there. I'll let you know if this fixed my issues when I get my car back next week.
      02-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #8
Dfwfairy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

I have the same issue this past week with the light staying on after killing the ignition. In addition the brake begins to squeak as the vehicle comes to a full stop. I only drove 3000 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #9
BreakingMyWallet
Registered
Rep

I've owned my BMW 530e since October and have had 'gremlins' as well. Occasionally the rear view camera won't activate. Quite often, the button to switch between electric and gas engines doesn't work. Often it's difficult to get my phone to pair. Most annoyingly, when my 530e's battery is getting close to depleted, I hear a high pitched (dog whistle, my BMW service tech calls it) whining sound which is loud enough that several passengers have commented on it. My service tech is either unable to reliably duplicate many of these issues or tells me they just don't know how to repair and will keep watching corporate for better directive.

When I took my car in for its 10,000 mile service, the tech told me my rear tires were almost completely bald. He said extreme rear tire wear is normal with the BMW independent rear wheel suspension.

To be fair, performance has been great. Gas mileage has been great (60 mpg, while commuting 20 miles each day). The car is plush, comfortable and the price at $53k with $7500 in state/local/utility incentives, the price was definitely right. I'd buy again... Just wish the bugs could be worked out.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLHCxX View Post
Are these issues only specifically to the 530e?? Or does the full petrol counterpart also have these issues??
My 530i petrol has been flawless.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #11
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingMyWallet View Post
I've owned my BMW 530e since October and have had 'gremlins' as well. Occasionally the rear view camera won't activate. Quite often, the button to switch between electric and gas engines doesn't work. Often it's difficult to get my phone to pair. Most annoyingly, when my 530e's battery is getting close to depleted, I hear a high pitched (dog whistle, my BMW service tech calls it) whining sound which is loud enough that several passengers have commented on it. My service tech is either unable to reliably duplicate many of these issues or tells me they just don't know how to repair and will keep watching corporate for better directive.

When I took my car in for its 10,000 mile service, the tech told me my rear tires were almost completely bald. He said extreme rear tire wear is normal with the BMW independent rear wheel suspension.

To be fair, performance has been great. Gas mileage has been great (60 mpg, while commuting 20 miles each day). The car is plush, comfortable and the price at $53k with $7500 in state/local/utility incentives, the price was definitely right. I'd buy again... Just wish the bugs could be worked out.
You alignment problems my friend. Unless you perform brutal accelerations from every stop light, I don't consider that kind of tire wear normal.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
You alignment problems my friend. Unless you perform brutal accelerations from every stop light, I don't consider that kind of tire wear normal.
Agreed. My 2017 530i with 17k miles on summer performance rft has plenty of tread depth left.

The car has also been nearly flawless. I did have the A/C issuebut they fixed that about a year ago with the update someone mentioned above. Besides that i haven’t had any bugs like the 530e drivers are mentioning
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      02-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Agreed. My 2017 530i with 17k miles on summer performance rft has plenty of tread depth left.

The car has also been nearly flawless. I did have the A/C issuebut they fixed that about a year ago with the update someone mentioned above. Besides that i haven't had any bugs like the 530e drivers are mentioning
Also not keeping up with the correct cold tire pressures can cause premature tire wear. I always carry a portable 12V air pump and check tire pressures every 2-4 weeks.

The 530e is an inherently more complex vehicle than the gasoline 530i. I mean, you have an electric motor stuck between the ICE engine and the transmission for starters.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingMyWallet View Post
Gas mileage has been great (60 mpg, while commuting 20 miles each day).
How much does electricity to charge the car cost/mile?

PL
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #15
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
To the Op, I took my 2018 530e in for the issue regarding the headlights staying on. Technically in my case all of the lights stayed on all night. My SA advised that there was some type of software recall on my car and they were going to reprogram it. I had some other odd issues like it complains that my passenger seatbelt is not buckled despite nobody sitting there. I'll let you know if this fixed my issues when I get my car back next week.
Quote:
Passenger warning is a loose wire under seat. I had same problem, there is a bulletin on this.
Appreciate 1
jwong77320.50
      02-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #16
jwong77
Captain
Rep

Garage List
To the op, I can report that since getting my car back, I haven't noticed the headlights staying on all night anymore. But it's only been one night thus far, so we shall see as the rest of the week progresses.
      02-16-2019, 01:45 AM   #17
technicks
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e xDrive iPerformance

Quote:
To the op, I can report that since getting my car back, I haven't noticed the headlights staying on all night anymore. But it's only been one night thus far, so we shall see as the rest of the week progresses.
Just got mine Monday and i noticed this too when i leave it unlocked in the garage (and yes, i want to keep it unlocked in the garage at all times). So basically I get in the garage, open door, press the start/stop button, but radio stays on and when i close door, lights stay on forever, regardless if i plug it in or not. To turn off lights i literally have to lock the car and unlock it, and open the door so it doesn't re-lock.
On my i3, it is much simpler. You get in garage, hit "park", open door, press the start stop, and radio and lights turn off.
If this isn't the correct behavior, i would be very happy, because it is annoying the hell out of me and i hope it's not the standard behavior
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #18
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

There have been posts on this. When stopping, take foot off the brake and wait a second or two and then open door. Car shuts down. If you then open a front door the lights, etc. come on (but not the back door). If you reach in and depress the radio volume button you will see the lights turn off after a second or two. Then stop depressing the button. You can then shut the door and the car stays off, at least until the next time.

Alternatively, of course, after opening the door and seeing the lights, etc. turn on, you can shut the door and use the remote to lock and then unlock the doors. That will also work.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #19
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

ive had an issue where my powered steering wheel will stay to its lifted position after turning the car back on. The adjustment controller wont work. Has happened 3 times in the year, the only way it gets unstuck is if i turn off the car and give it like 15 minutes. Quite a nuissance but it resets eventually so don't even know how i'd prove it or what they could do.
Appreciate 1
Norris83274.50
      02-23-2019, 03:47 AM   #20
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850I Gran Coupe Xdrive

My 540i xdrive, it's always parked inside my garage. Garage door closed Left the trunk open for 30min. The car goes into sleep mode & I go to close the trunk & my garage door opens when the car wakes up. It's happened twice but I'm gonna try to replicate this again.

I've had the steering wheel column issue not return to it's saved position after I start up the car too. It would be stuck in its exit position. I would press the memory seat for it to go down.

I've also had the passenger front seat warning seatbelt when nobody's there. That was happening in the summer.

My front tires keep loosing air pressure in extreme cold weather when the car is parked outside for extended periods -20c/-3f. I'm talking 15 PSI loss.

My summer rear tires wore out very quickly too. They wore out evenly too not like my f10s where they would wear out on the inside, but surprisingly the p zeros seem to be that way.

I had the rear center seatbelt locked so I wouldn't be able to open it again. That one was fixed by my dealership where they installed another buckle in case that happens again. Of course since then it never happened. My f10s both had the buckle from the get go.

Otherwise the car is been a dream, my favorite bmw so far!
2018 M550I Xdrive Alpine White on Cognac Leather, Premium Enhanced Package, Drivers Assitance Plus, Remote Parking/display key, massage seats, 21 wheels style 629 Black Chrome. M performance brakes in blue, M performance carbon fibre diffuser, m performance side skirt extensions, m performance front lip. 45% tint, roof wrapped in gloss black.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #21
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I'm getting 1st service soon and I hope to see good results.

Lately, I have noticed that my back up camera is frequently not automatically turning on when in reverse. The light on the center console is lit but I have to turn it off and back on to see the backup view.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 01:44 AM   #22
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I did my 1 yr service a month ago and all the "gremlins" seem to be gone
Appreciate 0