BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Has No Plans to Integrate Apple iOS Into Its Vehicles [Update: For Now]

06-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW Has No Plans to Integrate Apple iOS Into Its Vehicles [Update: For Now]

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Has No Plans to Integrate Apple iOS Into Its Vehicles [Update: For Now]
COMMENTS
Name:  bmw-apple-ios.jpg
Views: 10537
Size:  84.4 KB

UPDATE: BMW has contacted Autoblog to clarify its position. The company says it's in close contact with Apple and currently investigating the technical challenges required to integrate iOS in the Car, but since a final decision had not been made, it was not a part of Apple's announcement. Thus, according to BMW, integration of iOS in the Car in its cars has not been ruled out at all.

This past Monday, Apple announced its new iOS7 operating system at its annual WWDC conference. As part of the presentation, Apple announced plans to integrate iOS services into cars. Apple is working with manufacturers on new infotainment systems that could integrate to iOS devices like the iPhone. For example, an iPhone could be plugged into a car and an optimized, redesigned version of iOS Maps will appear on the car’s built-in display instead of a proprietary GPS system found in many cars today.

During the announcement, Apple flashed a slide showing the manufacturers with which it is working for this type of integration, which included Mercedes, Honda, Nissan, Ferrari, Chevrolet, Infiniti, Kia, Hyundai, Volvo, Acura and Jaguar.

Curiously however, BMW did not appear as one of these manufacturers. It turns out BMW would rather not ditch its own infotainment system (ConnectedDrive/iDrive) or alter its dashboard designs in order integrate iOS services.

As a BMW spokesperson said to MacNN: "The upshot is that as we have such an advanced multimedia offer that has been in vehicles in various guises for more than a decade, it would not be that straight forward to start changing all of the architecture of a car as has been implied [by Apple]."

Apple hasn't fully struck out with BMW however, as BMW has recently announced that its 2014 model year vehicles will feature Apple's Siri Eyes Free hands free technology.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

:
      06-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Good, touch screen systems suck. I have no problems with i-drive, even its earlier versions.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Good, touch screen systems suck. I have no problems with i-drive, even its earlier versions.
That's not how iOS would be integrated into a BMW. If it were integrated into BMWs you would still interact with the infotainment system via the same methods as before. The services would just be powered by iOS.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Enilder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Ferrari is in. BMW, you are doing it wrong. This idea is Italian approved.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Thank god! Enough of this IOS BS.I like apple but trying to rope in car manufacturers to accommodate their software into the cars[ when there are other major players] is just plain wrong.I would not fault apple,they are just trying to sell their product better,shame on those car manufacturers though.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Err...I think what they meant was they don't plan on integrating "iOS In The Car".

I watched the keynote, and they're weren't telling anything about it but I assume that it was just going to be an adaptor/PNP, something like what BMW Apps does but would actually use iOS? Or did I totally miss something and iOS is actually going to be implemented? I assume that QNX would still be the base and iOS in the Car would be an "app" built on top or used.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
That's not how iOS would be integrated into a BMW. If it were integrated into BMWs you would still interact with the infotainment system via the same methods as before. The services would just be powered by iOS.
Okay, I am confused. What exactly is Apple putting out? I thought it was saying that it would be a system and layout designed by Apple.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Focus on putting the Sirius on demand features as seen on the phone app Sirius has. It's great. All your shows on demand and you simply press play and pause. Awesome feature especially if you are a fan of Howard or Ellis.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Well this sucks. Lets be honest, manipulating the music on your iOS device via iDrives interface leaves a lot to be desired. Why not at least integrate Apple's interface scheme for music? The user is already accustomed to it and its just better for it, so why not? BMW is going to look really bad if their competitors do it and they don't. Besides, they already decided to make their nav screen look like someone slammed an iPad into the dash. This is either a poor financial decision or arrogance on BMW's part to think they can make an interface better than Apple. That's like Apple thinking they can make a better car than BMW.
      06-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

makes sense. Why would BMW do such a thing...iOS may dominate the US market for now, but it won't be the case in 3 years. iOS is already the minority elsewhere in the world. China is the single largest and fastest growing market for autos, and android is just making a killing there. Couple all this with like added costs of a closed platform for development makes little sense for BMW, especially since they already feel their GUI is already superior.

Last edited by mdosu; 06-12-2013 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
freshnezzz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
Thank god! Enough of this IOS BS.I like apple but trying to rope in car manufacturers to accommodate their software into the cars[ when there are other major players] is just plain wrong.I would not fault apple,they are just trying to sell their product better,shame on those car manufacturers though.
i agree. people just need ipod hookup not the OS.
      06-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Okay, I am confused. What exactly is Apple putting out? I thought it was saying that it would be a system and layout designed by Apple.
The final product would make the idrive interface appear to have a iOS look and feel. So one feature could be if you scroll your new idrive touch wheel, it'll behave exactly like your ipod. Apple will provide the platform for the manufacturers to build upon it. BMW would still spend time and money developing the software.

In PC terms, think of it as putting an iOS "wrapper" over a Windows operating system. That's what Apple wants to BMW to spend money and time on developing. BMW said no thanks, b.c they feel their interface is superior and doesn't think further development adds value over cost. I agree, b/c they spend a lot of time and money developing the next generation idrive touch.

Last edited by mdosu; 06-12-2013 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

thank God, the last thing I need is iOS on the dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
AUDI LOL
Lurking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
Err...I think what they meant was they don't plan on integrating "iOS In The Car".

I watched the keynote, and they're weren't telling anything about it but I assume that it was just going to be an adaptor/PNP, something like what BMW Apps does but would actually use iOS? Or did I totally miss something and iOS is actually going to be implemented? I assume that QNX would still be the base and iOS in the Car would be an "app" built on top or used.
From what I gathered, iOS in the car is meant for lower end cars without nav, voice control, etc. and it basically brings that to the car's screen. If I recall correctly, the Chevy Spark uses siri in it's head unit.

I'm not sure why higher end car manufactures are adopting iOS in the car, they have better nav systems than iOS maps IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

VERY GOOD!

Thank you BMW. DANKE DANKE DANKE.

I am so glad Munich made this decision. I don't want my beamer to be iOS controlled. First of all Apple is not what it used to be, and 2nd, BMW has the best interface. Why lose that for some 3rd party crap. As long as siri voice is in the car and can maybe read messages I am happy.

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Official update from BMW:

Quote:
UPDATE: BMW has contacted Autoblog to clarify its position. The company says it's in close contact with Apple and currently investigating the technical challenges required to integrate iOS in the Car, but since a final decision had not been made, it was not a part of Apple's announcement. Thus, according to BMW, integration of iOS in the Car in its cars has not been ruled out at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Thanks, updated.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

Good, very good.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #20
bmwdj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Why not say iOS has no plan to integrate BMW as its vehicles? BMW is just a small company comparing to Apple. If apple decides to make its own car, I would love to see the full head up iDisplay when I am driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #21
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

That will make the difference between going with Infiniti FX 2014 vs BMW SUVs for 2014. But why isn't Tesla on the list???
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #22
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive

iDrive is the best in the biz, keep your apple bs out of my car. QNX is the way to go.