BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Calling all Diesel owners

11-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #1
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Calling all Diesel owners

Hello all, I picked up a used 2018 G30 540D due to the fact that I have to drive 300 miles daily for work and it was the best bet in terms of engine performance safety, technology etc…
This is my first ever diesel car and I'm not used to their behavior, I find the transmission to be a little sluggish in the first two gears and the shift points are late under normal driving. For example under normal driving in comfort mode the transmission shifts to 8th gear over 60mph, and 7th a little before that. The second gear acts as if I'm driving a manual but I'm not used to the clutch, my question is what's everyone else's experience with Diesel, and what's your transmissions shift points. I mentioned it to the dealer twice but it's like I'm speaking a difficult foreign language, I don't trust my dealer and unfortunately I don't have enough experience with Diesel. Coming from an F90 I thought I'll get used to it, but it's been a month and I still can't get over it, any help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
Jonny2400
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 530d X Drive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
Hello all, I picked up a used 2018 G30 540D due to the fact that I have to drive 300 miles daily for work and it was the best bet in terms of engine performance safety, technology etc…
This is my first ever diesel car and I'm not used to their behavior, I find the transmission to be a little sluggish in the first two gears and the shift points are late under normal driving. For example under normal driving in comfort mode the transmission shifts to 8th gear over 60mph, and 7th a little before that. The second gear acts as if I'm driving a manual but I'm not used to the clutch, my question is what's everyone else's experience with Diesel, and what's your transmissions shift points. I mentioned it to the dealer twice but it's like I'm speaking a difficult foreign language, I don't trust my dealer and unfortunately I don't have enough experience with Diesel. Coming from an F90 I thought I'll get used to it, but it's been a month and I still can't get over it, any help is appreciated
You could try either XHP or a UK D5 Alpine flash on your transmission, as the change up is much sooner, around 1500rpm vs the 1750rpm on the standard software.

I am a long term BMW diesel and diesel driver and find my auto box in my 530dx to be fantastic.
Appreciate 1
BeeMdblU452.00
      11-07-2021, 01:58 AM   #3
Trimark
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540d Xdrive (340hp LC

Besides resetting the transmission adaptations, I would also recommend resetting the throttle body (accelerator pedal) adaptations. Here is a video from Youtube that shows the DIY process:

I found it more useful to reset the throttle body than the transmission. After the reset the car felt very responsive and sporty.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 06:58 AM   #4
540d
Rep
Drives: 2018 540d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimark View Post
Besides resetting the transmission adaptations, I would also recommend resetting the throttle body (accelerator pedal) adaptations. Here is a video from Youtube that shows the DIY process:

I found it more useful to reset the throttle body than the transmission. After the reset the car felt very responsive and sporty.
Diesels do not have a throttle body.
Appreciate 0