BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Best tune and exhaust for G30 540i xDrive?

09-11-2019, 12:35 AM   #1
Frozen Fractals
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6AT

Best tune and exhaust for G30 540i xDrive?

Trying to decide on a tune and exhaust for my (new to me) 2018 540i xDrive.

For the tune, I've been doing some reading and it seems like there's two kind of tunes out there: piggyback and flash tune. The most popular piggyback seems to be the JB4 and I've seen bootmod3, RK, Dinan and of course MPPSK as popular flash tunes. The JB4 seems the most primitive, but also cheapest and easiest to remove if I need the car serviced (it is CPO). However, I've read that it might not be as "smooth" as a flash tune. MPPSK would keep my warranty intact, but I am not sure about replacing the torque converter or the M Performance Exhaust (more on that later). I've read a lot of good things about bootmod3 and would most likely go that route if going with flash tune. I am not looking to max out the power/torque and would be happy with around 400HP. Not sure if I want to do any bolt-on mods (downpipe with high flow cat, intake, etc.) either due to warranty situation. I also live in CA, so I will be using 91 Octane fuel. Thus, I'm leaning towards either JB4 or bootmod3. Any suggestions?

For the exhaust, I have looked at MPPSK (MPE), ACS, Remus and Armytrix. I've read that the MPE is kind of a let down for the money and drones at highway speeds (something I'm trying to avoid) due to lack of valves. I like the sound of Remus and leaning towards it, but I wished they offered black exhaust tips that aren't insanely expensive (the titanium one). Still unsure about the exhaust, tbh.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #2
Ictus
Private First Class
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: BMW G30

After using MPPSK I can say for sure that it does not have enough power and exhaust sound. So don't waste your money. Now I installed the Remus catback and the sound is noticeably better. I also ordered Remus midpipe. Further plans for a downpipe and chiptune (470 hp).

E90 325xi 2006 Sparkling Graphite - sold

Last edited by Ictus; 09-11-2019 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
Tfb
Rep
Drives: G30 540xi f16 40d e70 30d

Propably U read my comments about mppsk so still dont waste money for that. What is more jb4 etc are also canceling your guarantee even if U switch them off as they left marks in your cpu - still need clearing in your cpu like proper tune so for me its now obvious done it once but proper and dont go half way. Now my car is for full tune with armytrix and decat dp so we will see how it works. But what i know the most important thing is mid pipe and valve for drone. Remus is excelent choice for deep and burbly sound for good money so its realy interesting choice - U can also buy black aftermarket tips from different company in your place - no remus trade mark but they will make it proper and cheap.
And what is important if U do not want change dp and intake dont make it more than 400hp and 550nm on 91. Mine on dte systems pigyback had 410 and 600 (mppsk converter) on 98 RoN and didnt act properly. I chca
Changed air filter for bmc and was better so its cheap modification but realy improve airflow. Sry for my bad eng, but i hope U will get the point
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
Frozen Fractals
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6AT

Thanks guys for your input. More anecdotal evidence to avoid MPPSK it seems.

Ictus: I'm leaning towards Remus. If it's not too much of a hassle, can you post a video of the sound? I'm also curious about the midpipe as opposed to just the catback.

Tfb: How is the Armytrix exhaust? I did some reading about MPPSK requiring torque converter change. I wonder if it is necessary if I go with a different tune (JB4, bootmod3, etc.)?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
Jams_123
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i (G30)

I can't comment on the tune, but I've been making a lot of enquiries about exhausts also recently (check next thread down).

One of the guys on there has the AC Schnitzer exhaust with black tips which looks awesome. I'm hoping they are able to post some sound videos soon as I just need a last push before I order.
Appreciate 0