BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 issues?

09-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #177
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Unfortunately no, not from factory anyway...
Only on 530e I believe
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #178
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
Only on 530e I believe
And that is not remote start. Instead, and better I think, is that it remotely starts the AC/heater, not the engine. It does so by running it off the hybrid battery.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #179
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Seats take ages to warm ip. Also i have comfort seats and the side bolsters dont go back to the previous position.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #180
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I have regular sport seat I thought warm seat gets warm fairly quickly, like uncomfortably hot in little time
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 02:55 AM   #181
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
I have regular sport seat I thought warm seat gets warm fairly quickly, like uncomfortably hot in little time
Same here. On cold days I have to switch it off after less than 5 minutes of use.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #182
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 554400 View Post
Does anyone know if there are any options for remote start on 2019 540i’s? I am in Texas and it gets unbearably hot. My previous car, a Toyota, has it and I foolishly assumed a brand new BMW would have this as well. I did check with the dealership of course and they said the previous generation actually had an add on option for it but the current one does not?? Wtf BMW?! I did use the ventilate now feature but it barely makes a difference. Appreciate any help.
The new G20 3 series has remote start available, so maybe BMW will add it in with the G30 LCI revisions.

?? ???

Hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #183
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
Seats take ages to warm ip. Also i have comfort seats and the side bolsters dont go back to the previous position.
Do you have front and rear heated seats, or just front?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #184
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1-fan View Post
Same here. On cold days I have to switch it off after less than 5 minutes of use.
Do you have the comfort seats -- with or without massage? And do you have front and rear heated seats, or just front?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #185
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
Do you have the comfort seats -- with or without massage? And do you have front and rear heated seats, or just front?

Thanks
I have a non sportspack 540i, with the normal seats. Heated seats front and rear, but no massage function.

Here is a pic...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #186
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome; thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #187
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1-fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post

Thanks
I have a non sportspack 540i, with the normal seats. Heated seats front and rear, but no massage function.

Here is a pic...
I don't believe we get those seats in US market G30. The 16-way power sport seat is standard (at least for 530i/e and 540i) with the 20-way comfort seat being optional.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #188
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

I have comfort, massage seats front only. Does that make a difference?

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:47 PM   #189
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
I have comfort, massage seats front only. Does that make a difference?
I'm not sure -- I'm trying to determine if the seat TYPE makes a difference (standard or comfort) -- or maybe if the NUMBER of heated seats makes a difference. If you have front AND rear heated seats, maybe all the heated seats are on one fuse. And they limit the warm-up temp in this configuration, as to not draw too much power -- in case they are all in-use?? I don't know -- just brainstorming.

Regardless, I believe the selectable heat levels can be coded to a given temperature -- although I'm not sure about the warm-up period temp. Maybe someone who does coding could verify.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 05:37 AM   #190
THEX5BEAST
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5D X Drive/ 2018 540D M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krill View Post
My 520d xDrive has been to the dealer 5 times now for vibrations on the highway at 110-130km/h.. They have done several road force balances, tests etc with numerous experts involved... They can't find the cause so next step is a buy back. I'm sick of this car, it's like all of the issues I had with my F10s all over again 💩🤪🤬
I had a similar problem with my 2017 X5 and my 2018 540D M sport. The X5 issue was only solved by swapping all 4 wheels and tires. Turns out after an alignment that the LR was way out. I'm guessing it hit a pothole during pre delivery that knocked it out of alignment and bent a rim in the process. The 540D was corrected by replacing those OE Goodyear ROF tires with PS4's. Both are now smooth as glass just like a BMW should be. Got the Dynamic Handling Package on both. Best two BMW's out of 11 so far. Hope you get your's fixed. I ended up with the regional manager going on a ride with me and they still missed it. I insisted on the swap and you know the rest.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 05:56 PM   #191
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Have the wheels spun up in a balancer and videoed with a camera on tripod as they take the safety cover off. BMW did this for me.

Had same issue and all 4 alloys were faulty not from damage but from build, the hub wasn't central to the outer rim and they all hopped.

Now BMW didn't change mine free of charge as I had them refurbished prior and they blamed that but if your were not refurbished you can demand a new set and I believe they will provide them.

There are known sets of 759i 20 inch alloys according to my contact in BMW that were forged faulty.

Look at my post history to see videos of the issue.

QUOTE=THEX5BEAST;26165608]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krill View Post
My 520d xDrive has been to the dealer 5 times now for vibrations on the highway at 110-130km/h.. They have done several road force balances, tests etc with numerous experts involved... They can't find the cause so next step is a buy back. I'm sick of this car, it's like all of the issues I had with my F10s all over again 💩🤪🤬
I had a similar problem with my 2017 X5 and my 2018 540D M sport. The X5 issue was only solved by swapping all 4 wheels and tires. Turns out after an alignment that the LR was way out. I'm guessing it hit a pothole during pre delivery that knocked it out of alignment and bent a rim in the process. The 540D was corrected by replacing those OE Goodyear ROF tires with PS4's. Both are now smooth as glass just like a BMW should be. Got the Dynamic Handling Package on both. Best two BMW's out of 11 so far. Hope you get your's fixed. I ended up with the regional manager going on a ride with me and they still missed it. I insisted on the swap and you know the rest.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 05:28 PM   #192
rep2
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

540i Ownership

I currently have a pre-lci 540i and have owned it for a while. Thankfully it came with CPO since I've ran into issues with it in the span of 6-7 months at the time of making this post (2/5/2024).
Troubles:

~08/17/2023 went into dealership.
A month after ownership the car (owned since 7/3/2023) threw a check engine for an evap leak. I thought it had something to do with the fuel tank or not locking the fuel cap. Wasn't the case when the AC slowly started losing its cool and the check engine light turned off on its own. No physical damage found so CPO covered it otherwise service and parts would've been 2000+ since they have to take the dash off.
After a week they got it fixed and the HUD was off center (Techs did not place it back correctly). I waited for a while (~close to a month) before putting the car back to the dealership and then got it back with no issues after.

11/11/2023
At this point it would be about more than 2 months of trouble-free issues until I hit up the dealership for a car wash and the PCV Diaphragm goes bad and smokes thru the exhaust. Apparently common issue on gen 1 b58s and extended warranty on that part alone.

12/21/2023
Afterwards I have faced zero issues with it and had its first oil change done at the dealership. Personally, I don't like how BMW stretches the oil changes on cars to 8k mile intervals.

01/29/2024
A week before this post goes up, the car threw a check engine light for the active grill being stuck on open. After hitting up the dealer again they said its the lower radiator flap that went bad. They performed an update and programmed the flaps to work. I was planning on removing it but since it throws a check engine light I will need to figure a work around.

I want to hear y'all's thoughts on the service I had to do in the 7 months of owning this car. Anything y'all suggest I should do? I do plan to mod this car but with what I had to do to it so far is making me doubt about keeping this particular 540i as I've seen/heard others having a better experience than mine. Thankfully its nothing serious besides the AC system going out and looking around that seems to be common at 50k miles.

My car is currently at 55k miles and i bought it at 48k miles. Its a wonderful car and after they updated my cat to NBT_Evo Y I was able to get Fullscreen CarPlay which feels and looks so much nicer and I still love the car apart from the troubles.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 05:43 PM   #193
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep2 View Post
I currently have a pre-lci 540i and have owned it for a while. Thankfully it came with CPO since I've ran into issues with it in the span of 6-7 months at the time of making this post (2/5/2024).
Troubles:

~08/17/2023 went into dealership.
A month after ownership the car (owned since 7/3/2023) threw a check engine for an evap leak. I thought it had something to do with the fuel tank or not locking the fuel cap. Wasn't the case when the AC slowly started losing its cool and the check engine light turned off on its own. No physical damage found so CPO covered it otherwise service and parts would've been 2000+ since they have to take the dash off.
After a week they got it fixed and the HUD was off center (Techs did not place it back correctly). I waited for a while (~close to a month) before putting the car back to the dealership and then got it back with no issues after.

11/11/2023
At this point it would be about more than 2 months of trouble-free issues until I hit up the dealership for a car wash and the PCV Diaphragm goes bad and smokes thru the exhaust. Apparently common issue on gen 1 b58s and extended warranty on that part alone.

12/21/2023
Afterwards I have faced zero issues with it and had its first oil change done at the dealership. Personally, I don't like how BMW stretches the oil changes on cars to 8k mile intervals.

01/29/2024
A week before this post goes up, the car threw a check engine light for the active grill being stuck on open. After hitting up the dealer again they said its the lower radiator flap that went bad. They performed [...]
Nothing alarming other than the AC thing which a handful of people have reported here. The other things are known issues, and relatively minor. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, but do consider arming yourself with a Route 66 EW like many of us have done for peace of mind.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 10:11 AM   #194
bigtice
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i xDrive

Hello, I'm new here and wanted to ask about two curiosities:

I have a 2018 BMW M550 and had been watching videos on all the available gestures and have also gone through the manual and noticed that it doesn't have the previous/next track gestures or the ability to assign a secondary gesture. Is there a particular reason why my car is limited in the gestures available? And is this something that can be adjusted through a software update? Everything I've read on articles or seen in training videos include these other gestures so I'm a bit confused since I have most of them.

Second, being that this is my first BMW, I'm still getting used to how the car operates specifically regarding exiting the vehicle where I'm accustomed to the car completely disabling itself once the stop/start button has been turned off compared to now where the car turns off once I open the door (using the iDrive option). I guess my question is if it's normal for the interior trim lighting to stay on for what seems to be another minute or more after exiting the car? I'm mainly wanting to ensure this won't cause my battery to drain since I had gone through the manual regarding this and couldn't find anything providing specific clarity to this question.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 10:41 AM   #195
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtice View Post

I have a 2018 BMW M550 and had been watching videos on all the available gestures and have also gone through the manual and noticed that it doesn't have the previous/next track gestures or the ability to assign a secondary gesture. Is there a particular reason why my car is limited in the gestures available? And is this something that can be adjusted through a software update? Everything I've read on articles or seen in training videos include these other gestures so I'm a bit confused since I have most of them.

Second, being that this is my first BMW, I'm still getting used to how the car operates specifically regarding exiting the vehicle where I'm accustomed to the car completely disabling itself once the stop/start button has been turned off compared to now where the car turns off once I open the door (using the iDrive option). I guess my question is if it's normal for the interior trim lighting to stay on for what seems to be another minute or more after exiting the car? I'm mainly wanting to ensure this won't cause my battery to drain since I had gone through the manual regarding this and couldn't find anything providing specific clarity to this question.
There isn't a next track gesture out of the box, and there isn't much flexibility in terms of what you can assign. There is only one gesture that you can set to whatever you want, which is like if you're pointing forward while making a peace sign. Most of us assign that to next track.
      02-06-2024, 10:43 AM   #196
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtice View Post

The extra gestures are iDrive 7 if I recall correctly. So MY2020+.

You aren’t missing much as gestures are a mixed bag feature that few people love.

As for the second question, locking the car is the best way to get it to shutdown. Otherwise, it will do so when it “times out”. I can’t speak to battery impact as my PHEV deals with that reality differently than an ICE car (my 12V battery charge is maintained by my HV battery).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 11:05 AM   #197
bigtice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
There isn't a next track gesture out of the box, and there isn't much flexibility in terms of what you can assign. There is only one gesture that you can set to whatever you want, which is like if you're pointing forward while making a peace sign. Most of us assign that to next track.
This video (
) notes all the gestures and includes the next/previous gestures (hitchhiker thumb in either direction).

I've assigned the "peace sign" moving forward to navigating to home, which I could obviously change, but it doesn't have a secondary one as previously noted.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 11:12 AM   #198
bigtice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
The extra gestures are iDrive 7 if I recall correctly. So MY2020+.

You aren’t missing much as gestures are a mixed bag feature that few people love.

As for the second question, locking the car is the best way to get it to shutdown. Otherwise, it will do so when it “times out”. I can’t speak to battery impact as my PHEV deals with that reality differently than an ICE car (my 12V battery charge is maintained by my HV battery).
I agree that it is a mixed bag reaction since I had been trying to research on this before I posted and have seen all sorts of feedback regarding it. I've just gotten used to using the volume control gesture and would like the next/previous track so that's why I've been trying to figure out why I have some and not all gestures. I was also looking forward to using the secondary gesture to mute the volume, but can't do that since I only have one programmable gesture... so it's like I'm being teased with the feature.

And you're right in reference to simply locking the car, it's just not something I'm accustomed to doing when I park in my garage rather than parking anywhere else so it's something I've wanted to verify so I don't encounter trying to start my car one random day and being met with a dead battery.
Appreciate 0