BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Control Display Screen dimms

08-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
tomaudi3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530

Control Display Screen dimms

The control display screen on my 2019 BMW 530 constantly dims depending on outside light hitting the sensor in the right hand corner of the instrument cluster. This year BMW removed the ability to vary the daytime brightness in the idrive settings menu. The screen dimming causes distracted driving when trying to read items on navigation and other displays. BMW needs to send updated coding to their dealers to install in customers cars before a series of accidents occur because of distracted driving and spending unnecessary time trying to read the displays.
BMW USA please help us. Other drivers please post to this site if you are having the same issues. Dealers have no solution at this moment.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I don't have this issue my 2017 model. I don't recall seeing this sensor on my instrument cluster either ( is that a 2019 specific change?)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I know this isn’t an elegant solution. But you can use a flashlight on the dash to find where the ambient light sensor is then cover it with masking tape so it doesn’t leave a mark when removed. This will force the sensor to always see night.

You can remove it when a fix is in place.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 520 1.6lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I know this isn’t an elegant solution. But you can use a flashlight on the dash to find where the ambient light sensor is then cover it with masking tape so it doesn’t leave a mark when removed. This will force the sensor to always see night.

You can remove it when a fix is in place.
Main problem is the sensor thinks its night time and dims the display during a bright day or when headlamps turns on automatically. Since there is a bright light outside displays got dimmer so we can't see them.

This issue mostly occurs around 5-6pm driving while sunset or on vehicles with front tinted windows. So putting a tape on sensor will cause the problem to be lived always. We need to use a flashlight on the sensor which will solve the problem but it's not an option

There is a coding option for F10 which seperates the brightness adjustment switch from the rest of the settings in the idrive menu. So when your physical switch is at its maximum leven even it's night time displays give the max brightness. But I couldn't find a working code for G30 so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
juice619
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlover06 View Post
Main problem is the sensor thinks its night time and dims the display during a bright day or when headlamps turns on automatically. Since there is a bright light outside displays got dimmer so we can't see them.

This issue mostly occurs around 5-6pm driving while sunset or on vehicles with front tinted windows. So putting a tape on sensor will cause the problem to be lived always. We need to use a flashlight on the sensor which will solve the problem but it's not an option

There is a coding option for F10 which seperates the brightness adjustment switch from the rest of the settings in the idrive menu. So when your physical switch is at its maximum leven even it's night time displays give the max brightness. But I couldn't find a working code for G30 so far.
Did anyone ever figure out which line to code to disable this darn thing ?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:12 AM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice619 View Post
Did anyone ever figure out which line to code to disable this darn thing ?
it isn't codable, but we have a guy in the G05 forum designing a device to combat the dimming in such a way it is unobtrusive, tapping into the mirror for power and feeding the wires inside the trim. don't know how the installation will translate from G05 to G30, though...

Fixing dash dimming issues.. project details https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1806820
Appreciate 0